“A pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maropeng Boutique Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site
Maropeng Boutique Hotel
You added Maropeng Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   R400 (just off the R563 Hekpoort), Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site 1751, South Africa   |
Johannesburg
“A pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stayed over for 2 nights on the recent special which is about R3000 for 2 night for 2 people. I can echo what some of the other reviewers said, at this price it is excellent value for money but at the standard price it may fall short. The rooms are okay but fairly standard. The view more than makes up for any niggly things in the room however and watching the sun set from the patio is a treat. The restaurant tries hard and the food is good. I had a bit of a chuckle reading another review because the too salty fishcakes are unfortunately still on the menu. The ribs are great though and my husband had it twice. The staff makes up for any inexperience with generous friendliness.
The one thing that needs attention is the squeky room doors. Whenever one of the neighbours came or went it sounded like a dying camel and it was impossible to sleep through.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
tonyrJohannesburg, Managing Director at Maropeng Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Johanet

Many thanks for the review posted on TripAdvisor.

Your comments are relevant to us and I assure you that the squeaky doors have been attended to.

Your comment about the fish cakes has been forwarded to my Head Chef for follow up, and I am sure the recipe will be revised, once again

Tony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Dear Tony
As per your reply to my review below on 28 March 2014, it is almost one month later and I have received NO feedback/phonecall from your manager to date. I think this is extremely poor customer service and you should rather not make promises you cannot/don't intend keeping. Kind Regards...Dr Vineshree Moodley

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tony_Rubin, Managing Director at Maropeng Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Vineshree M

I am truly sorry that my Hotel Manager has not responded to you, regarding your review on the 28th March.

As mentioned in a separate mail forwarded to you, I will discuss this unacceptable behaviour on his return to the property, and ensure that you are contacted immediately

I trust that this will be in order, if you would like to engage in further dialoque, please feel free to call me on 014 577 9000

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Such A Wonderful Experience. I Have Never Met Staff That Is So Professional And Friendly... From The Guard At The Door Right To The Chef! Had Such a Fabulous Stay.
Rooms Are Gorgeous And So So Clean. I Loved Everything About The Hotel And Most Of All I Would Love To Thank Them For The Delicious Cake That They Made For My Better Half.

Thank You So Much! We Are Definitely Coming Back There!

Room Tip: Perfect , please keep up the good work!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Nolwazi D

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Maropeng Boutique Hotel, and that you found everything to your satisfaction.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future

Hilversum, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

After reading all the Tripadvisor remarks, I made my reservation online. Thank goodness I printed it out, as on the system at the hotel it said that I had done the booking via lastminute.com which meant I had to pay for a whole bunch of items, and the print out proved otherwise. My room was the one I asked for from advice given by previous residents. The bathroom was nothing short of pathetic - blocked basin, leaking shower, shower head that did everything but spray properly, small and thin towels, lighting was bad, extractor fan was extremely noisy, waking all and sundry up when using the bathroom during the evening. The bar fridge was rather small and after removing the shelving I could get one large bottle water and two 750ml bottle wine in. The Wifi just could not connect in this room, although it was better in the breakfast area. Tip - take you own slippers with. Bathrobes were supplied.

The dinner we ordered in was only reasonable. The starter was very salty tuna cake. The main course we ordered was a green curry, which had no curry in. The breakfast was good with excellent variety, but only concentrate juices, none fresh.

The hotel is close to the Maropeng experience and this is worth the tour. If booking online you can look for a special which includes tickets to this Experience and the Sterkfontein Caves, which is worth it.

At least the sunsets were really nice and and we could see some anumal from the neighbouring Asari Game lodge.

Room Tip: All rooms are in one long line, with room 124 being at the end with only one room adjacent. It is a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tony_Rubin, Managing Director at Maropeng Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Glenn L

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to write a review of the Maropeng Boutique Hotel.

While I am pleased that the location of the Hotel is great, it concerns me to note that the bedroom and meal was not up to the standard that we strive to achieve.

Your comments have been taken very seriously and I have already had my Maintenance Team check on the issues mentioned. The lack of slippers has been brought to the attention of the Housekeeper and I have arranged to have a meeting with the Hotel Manager, in order to discuss the poor food experienced.

Once again, many thanks for your comments - it is feedback like this that helps us to improve our service delivery.

Sandton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We were both incrediblly impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, the excellent food and overall value for money. We would highly recommend a stay at Maropeng and hope to return in the near future!
Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

tonyrJohannesburg, Managing Director at Maropeng Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Kim M

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post such a positive review on TripAdvisor.

Your comments are appreciated and we hope to welcome you back in the near future

Somerset West, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We had a wonderful week-end at this beautifully situated boutique hotel. Rooms and bathrooms are spacious and beautifully decorated with their own private patios overlooking an unspoilt view. There are no family rooms so a seperate room had to be booked for our two young children - but rooms were connected with interleading doors. Resturant food was excellant with a three course meal beautifully presented and good service. A wonderful place to escape from it all!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Tony_Rubin, Managing Director at Maropeng Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Nicola S

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Maropeng Boutique Hotel.

We hope to welcome you back in the future

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Spent the last long weekend here with my husband for our 7th anniversary. Its an hours drive from Johannesburg so very convenient. The check in process was efficient and we were shown our room. The room (no. 119) is spacious with all necessary amenities (bar fridge with complimentary bottled water, tea and coffee, air-conditioning, shampoo, electronic safe, hairdryer etc.). The room has a beautiful view from the patio. There is however lack of attention to detail. The soap dish at the bath tub was cracked and broken, there was a spider's web at the door to the bathroom, the tub was quite dusty (I don't know if it had not been used in a while), and the linen and towels in our room looked old and worn (they should be replaced), the bath towels are tiny, they should have bath sheets instead. Another dampener was the fact that the water stood in our shower so it was obviously blocked. We reported it on Friday evening (the day we checked in) however they could not get their maintenance team at that time. They said they would send someone from maintenance the next day but it looked like only the cleaning staff came and once again when we showered that evening...it was still blocked (so basically the whole time we were there). So once again I reported it at checkout (the lady at the desk said to me "Yes, the drain must be blocked or something"...I thought we had established that already?!! I had previously arranged a turn down service (at a steep cost) for the evening of the Friday and confirmed it on that day. The person at the desk said it would be done while we were at dinner. When we arrived at the room, it was done but there was no champagne as promised and paid for?! I had to ask for it at reception the next day which was a bit of an anticlimax. Just to mention that all other 4 and 5 star hotels we have stayed at, do a complimentary turn down service free of charge if it is a special occasion. I had mentioned online on the booking form that it was our anniversary but apart from the mishap of the turn down service it was not mentioned at all during our stay...once again...attention to detail. In terms of the food, breakfast is good but you can see that they serve canned fruit (mangoes etc.) but I suppose it is because they are far out and cannot get fresh fruit easily. They also won't ask you what bread you want for your toast, they just bring 2 brown and 2 white! They fry your eggs how you would like them but they were brought to the table before we were finished with our fruit so it was cold by the time we we were ready to eat them, There are croissants, coldmeats, cheese, fruit, juice, cereals and a hot breakfast. Supper consists of a 3 course menu with 2 options each for starters, mains and desserts. Some were obviously better than others eg. the lamb, duck and ostrich were better than the chicken but good overall. On the first night their blender was apparently broken so they could not make cocktails but not all the cocktails on the menu needed a blender...just a shaker..strange. And the cappucino at supper was really bad and bitter! Just to note that alcohol is expensive here...a double Jack Daniels ONLY cost R44!!!! A nice touch was that the chef comes to each table at the end of the meal to chat. Overall the hotel is good value for money but can be much much better with a few tweaks.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
tonyrJohannesburg, Managing Director at Maropeng Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Vineshree M

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to review your recent stay at our Hotel.

It concerns me to note the various lapses you experienced in our service delivery.

I have taken your comments up with my Hotel Manager, who will contact you, once he has completed his investigation.

Once again, many thanks for your review, it is feedback like yours that enables us to ensure excellence

Tony

Been to Maropeng Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!