“Great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Main Street Inn

Main Street Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tarboro
Main Street Inn
You added Main Street Inn to your Saves list
912 North Main Street, Tarboro, NC 27886   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Tarboro B&B and Inns
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Our second visit here. We have stayed here on our way up North from FL. Very nice, clean, good location, but it is about 10 m from I95. New bathrooms this time and they have done a nice job on the refurbishment.The owners are very gracious. A perfect stop. A beautiful town.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

The Main St Inn and its location in Tarboro, NC is as pure a spirit of old America you will find in North Carolina - which have many examples of heritage.
Denise Sanderson is the ultimate Southern chic with a hint of femme fatale -
Room 5 is my favorite and sitting outside on a rocking chair drinking champagne the essence of great memories and dreams.

Room Tip: If you're in the mood for a romantic bubble bath and a room with fabulous ambiance, room 5 is th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

When you stay at the Main Street Inn, you feel as though you are stepping back in time. This was a perfect choice for us, since we were in Tarboro to dedicate a monument to one of my partner's ancestors (who was one of the town founders).

Our hostess, Denise, greeted us warmly and showed us to a room with hardwood floors, plantation shutters, and a high wooden bed with a white comforter and duvet. There was a flat screen in the room, but it was on top of an antique wardrobe/slash bookcase, so it was unobtrusive and didn't spoil the effect. Except for the pedestal sink, the bathroom was more modern, marble throughout, with a walk-in shower.

Later, we all sat on the beautiful front porch on rocking chairs or the porch swing, sipping wine and relaxing in true southern style.

The next morning we were treated to a truly amazing breakfast!

I was tempted to give The Main Street Inn five stars; but I didn't want my review to draw the wrong crowd. You know the type. People who expect coffee at 9 pm or extra pillows at midnight. This is not that sort of place. This is more like staying with friends or relatives who happen to live in an extraordinarily spacious and beautiful house.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Main Street Inn is hosted by Denise Sanderson who epitomizes the Southern grace and charm you read about in "Southern Living" magazine. Yeah readers, it really does exist- in the small historic town of Tarboro, NC. She hosted my daughter's wedding today, with literally three day's notice. My daughter stayed in room 5 on the third floor. The room was spacious; the king-sized bed was huge with a cozy soft comforter included. The bathroom was elegant, a good mix of "old-timey" style and modern convenience. I was told the breakfast was delicious, with their own adaptations of familiar items.
The Inn is a very large historic house that has been restored to pristine condition. As Denise describes it, she strives for "simplistic elegance". She and her husband have achieved that goal! Despite the high ceilings and the undraped windows (original glass 6 ft or more tall), the downstairs rooms have a cozy, homey feel. The fireplaces are an extra bonus!
The reception was flawless! It is beyond my comprehension how Denise and her husband, Stuart, can prepare the excellent appetizers & dishes with such elegant presentation and attentively serving the guests' requests. I cannot think of a single suggestion that would have made the wedding reception better.

I highly recommend the Main Street Inn. It's a refreshing change from the sterile chain motels that clutter the expressways. Main Street Inn in Tarboro, NC (population 10,000 or so) is a quick side trip from the hectic I-95 "rat race"! It's a "by-ways" adventure worth exploring. I think you'll love it!

• Stayed December 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

The Main Street Inn is located in Edgecombe County, North Carolina. My wife and I were there to attend a family wedding in neighboring Halifax County but decided to stay overnight at the Main Street Inn because I was born in Tarboro and occasionally re-visit the town to recharge my batteries and my soul. Tarboro has for the most part remained true to its beautiful architectural history. The same goes for Main Street Inn. The local community college offers NC's only historic preservation degree. The owners of Main Street Inn are Denise and Stuart Sanderson. They are perfect examples of how B&B owners should be! Denise does most of the front-end work of greeting the guests, cooking and serving. She has a joyful personality and is full of knowledge about the locals and the town's history. This gorgeous inn takes up three stories with a stairway to the bedrooms. My wife and I stayed in one of the spacious 2nd story rooms. The large bathroom has an easy walk-in shower, a beautiful marbled floor and soft wind-dried towels. The inn is smack in the middle of the historic district and walking distance from the town's beautiful historic common (To my knowledge, the only other town common in the United States is located in Boston, Massachusetts). The breakfast and morning service was outstanding. Prior to this visit, I stayed in the local hotels which were good-to-fair but from now on, I'm going to be a regular at the Main Street Inn where I get first class down-home B&B conversations on a large front porch....where I can sip tea or great wine in the evening and great coffee in the morning! If you are ever going "Down East" be sure to stop by Tarboro and stay at the Main Street Inn and prepare yourself for some real "sweet tea treatment"!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
South Pole
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Beautifully restored historic home on the main avenue of town. Short walk to one of Eastern North Carolina's best restaurants, On The Square. Very nice, filling breakfast including fruit smoothies.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Main Street Inn? Share your experiences!