“Great Food, welcoming staff, southern atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
On the Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Tarboro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Bistro, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Great Food, welcoming staff, southern atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were driving from Raleigh to Outer Banks and looking for a place to stop and grab a bite to eat along the way. We read some reviews about On the Square and decided to check it out. Couldn't be more pleased with the experience. Great food, welcoming staff and sweet southern atmosphere. And the prices were reasonable too. I would highly recommend this place.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

North Carolina
“Lunch at On the Square”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I went into On the Square for lunch on a Thursday. The staff was friendly and let us know that we needed to order at the counter, then sit down with our number and await our lunch. I ordered half a pimiento cheese sandwich and a cup of tomato soup. My husband had a reuben with pasta salad. When the order came, they'd given me a grilled cheese instead. The waitress took my plate back to the kitchen, but it took quite a while for her to return with the correct order (it was not crowded in there at all). The pimiento cheese sandwich was pretty good-nothing spectacular, but the tomato soup was extremely sweet. I only ate a few bites. My husband's reuben was delicious and his pasta salad was quite good as well. Our son is moving to the area, so we will go back, but our first impression wasn't great.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stillwater, Oklahoma
“First Class Cuisine, Wine Selections, and Extraordinary Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

On the square is a quaint little restaurant that serves excellent food and drink through out the week and on Friday Night's 4 star entrees. This restaurant is owned by a couple who "came home" after the tragic events of 9/11. The lady of the establishment is a sommelier which means that the wine selections are outstanding.

• Visited April 2013
NC
“One of our favorite night's out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

OTS is one of our favorite restaurants within a hundred mile radius--and we live within 50 miles of Raleigh, NC. Wonderful food, wine and service. The menu changes but try the pork tenderloin(which, I think, usually remains on the menu)! It is wonderful. If in this area, don't miss OTS!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Exceptional Food, Extraordinary Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I came to this restaurant on a Friday evening with a party of twenty. My guy and I were among the first served. Good manners dictated that we wait until everyone had their food before we began. A single waitress, Casey, was serving the entire table; and I remember thinking that our dinner would be cold before we even took the first bite. Not so! She managed to get everyone's order to them within 5 minutes. Very impressive!

Even more impressive was the food! I had the petit filet with a potato-carrot puree. I wasn't completely sold on the idea of the carrot and potato thing; but I thought I'd give it a try. Yum! The filet was perfectly cooked and seasoned; and it was so tender that a knife was almost unnecessary. As if that wasn't enough, the meal was followed with a strawberry shortcake that was truly a work of art. I almost felt like a vandal when I stuck my fork into it. I'm glad I did though, because it tasted even better than it looked!

They have an excellent wine selection, too, and there is a small wine shop adjoining the bar. If you are ever in Tarboro, this is the place to go.

Also, I would like to compliment Demetrius, the bartender at On The Square. We discovered the next night that there are no free-standing bars in Tarboro. It was about 9:00 on a Saturday night and we weren't ready for bed so we walked to OTS. We asked Demetrius for some wine recommendations; he asked us a couple of questions about our preferences, and was able to choose the perfect wines for us. We also got into a great conversation with some of the locals that Demetrius introduced us to. From there on in, we all had a great time. This bartender has some serious social skills. He is able to laugh and joke with customers while always remaining completely professional, and that takes talent!

• Visited April 2013