“Way overrated” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 26 Restaurants in Swansboro
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Description: Historic Downtown Swansboro. Focus is on local seafood, All Natural raised American Beef and Chicken, local and organic produce. Pasta dishes, vegetarian, vegan, nightly chef specials.
North GA
“Way overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Food arrived 1 hour after salads and wife's steak was cold and completely wrong. It was obviously under a lamp by the way the baked potato looked. Don't waste your time.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Goldsboro, North Carolina
“Not so friendly hostess!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and friends advised us that this would be a good place to eat. So, when we arrived, I went and put our name in. It was 6:16pm... I know this because I looked at the clock when the hostess did. She said our wait would be 45-50 minutes. I was okay with this since they had a bar and it was a holiday weekend; I expected a wait. After 1 hour had passed, I decided that I would check to see how much longer our wait would be. A different hostess was at the stand and when I inquired about my wait, she informed me that I didn't check in until 6:46pm! OH NO!! This was not right and when I told her that was not right, that I had checked in at 6:16 pm, she had the nerve to tell me that maybe I THOUGHT I had checked in at 6:16pm! She did not believe me and offered no apology. Needless to say we left!

Visited September 2013
Lebanon, Virginia
“Good food, nice atmosphere and view, our second visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Both of our visits were during lunch hours so we did not experience any wait time. There were 5 of us so we ordered several seafood items off the menu and shared. All were good, particularly the clam chowder. We always enjoy the atmosphere of this restaurant and like to walk about the quaint little community of Swansboro and do so each year when we visit Emerald Isle. On this visit however there were some problems with the service. The bartender was extremely slow and the kitchen staff were very slow in getting our food out to us. I also noticed the beer wasn't especially cold. The waitress however was very accommodating so I am continuing to go with a 4 star rating. I am not referring to the waitress or the hostess in my review of service .

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville VA
“Good view, good atmosphere, so-so food, warm beer--and not # 4.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had been to the Ice House twice previously when visiting Emerald Isle. Each time we came away with an "it's OK but not great" feeling. Since 4 years had passed since our last visit, and because some local friends said it was their fave in Swansboro, we decided to try it again. Sorry Ice House folks but our opinion hasn't changed. Although it looks good on paper (varied menu, waterfront dining, historic site, great atmosphere in and out) we were turned off early by a surly bartender when we mentioned to him that our pre-dinner draft beers were WARM!! He didn't seem to care. And then we made the mistake of ordering another round with dinner after begging our waitress to make sure they were cold. Well they weren't...something about the fact that they had been so busy that they had run out of chilled glasses. Huh? Warm kegs means warm beer. Glasses shouldn't have to figure in. The fish tacos were OK as was they clam chowder. But the Yukon Gold french fries were limp, mushy and disgusting. Get 'em off the menu Ice House folks 'cause they ain't worth a damn! We note that Trip Advisor reviewers rated this the 4th best restaurant in Swansboro. It may be, but don't think it will get a 4th visit from us.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“Icehouse Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Food is excellent. I recommend the Grouper Sandwich or the Fish Tacos. Location is on the river so view is perfect. Also located in pleasant downtown Swansboro.

Visited August 2013