“Nice KOA Campground” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Asheville East KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swannanoa
Asheville East KOA
You added Asheville East KOA to your Saves list
2708 US Highway 70, Swannanoa, NC 28778   |
Sandhills, NC
“Nice KOA Campground”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Mkay...I always start with the positives so here goes:
Bath houses and showers were immaculate and are the best I've seen...period. All sites are extremely well maintained and the grounds are well kept. The camp store is fairly well stocked, so far as camp stores go, and the prices were really pretty good. The lakes & stream are beautiful and make for a really nice foreground to the mountains. Quick retail shopping (ie, Wal-Mart, grocery) is not far away at all and very easy to find. Very quiet for a large campground.
Now...to be fair to all campers, I have to tell you the negatives as well:
The "putt-putt" course doesn't really exist. I mean, it's there, but over grown with weeds and trash. The recovery center located at the entrance to the KOA is less than appealing with all the...um...'recovery' folks all standing around the front door glaring at you while you drive by. The trailer park with the six foot bobbed wire fence as your back door neighbor. The annoying train that comes through EVERY night from 11pm until breakfast.
All in all I have to say that Asheville East KOA is a very nice campground. We have stayed at some dives and this one is no where close to that. Very nice experience and the staff was friendly and helpful.
TIPS:
Bring sleeping ear plugs for the train. Don't stay near the trailer park. Bring some bread or chips to feed the ducks and geese. They were very tame and I fed them by hand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed in a 2 room cabin on the water. We had water on both sides of us, it was great. So pretty! The cabin was very clean. Had a firepit and grill. There were also bikes and 2 wheel go cart things to rent, which my kids loved. It was only about 10 minutes to downtown Asheville.

On the negitive side, we had planes, trains, automobiles, and GEESE all night long. The trains blew their whistles all night. We could hear the traffic very well, and the geese were really loud. If you can tune these things out, then you will be just fine.

By the way, watch your speed. It's a 4 lane highway in front of the KOA, but the speed limit is only 45, and sometimes 35 or 25. I got a speeding ticket as a souvenir.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Loved it! Clean, friendly and helpful staff. Only downside was the posted bathroom cleaning times.These appeared to be guidelines as the somewhat militant housekeepers cleaned whenever they saw fit. Fortunately, there were multiple facilities onsite. Returning again this year to watch the leaves change!

• Stayed October 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

So based on tripadvisor reviews I told my boyfriend to make reservations at the WEST Asheville KOA. Instead he made them here. We arrived late Friday night, check-in was quick and we were lead to our tent spot by a golf cart. This was nice considering we had NO clue where we were going. We had a spot beside the lake. Since it was dark when we arrived I didnt see much the first night. Although my car battery did die and we had nice enough neighbors to give us a jump. In the morning we got to take a look around. The bathrooms & showers were like any other camping place Ive been too. If you are wearing rubber flip flops then you are good, dont go without them!! At one point I did walk into another bathroom in the campground and it was kinda gross with trash overflowing. Our tent spot was nice. Electricity and water worked fine, it had a fire ring. Campsites are a little close for my taste but our neighbors were friendly and everyone was respectful with noise and what not. We were visiting Asheville both days, so we didnt explore the campground much. We did go jump in the pool real quick on the second day and it was a tiny pool with lots of splashing kids. That didnt last long. Everyone looked like they were having a great time though. They had a dance one night we saw coming in from Asheville...teeny boppers from the looks of it. There is a river that kids can play in. There are two lakes, but you arent allowed to swim in them. Overall I would stay again because it is close to Asheville, but it might not be my first pick. It seems like a great place for people with young teens to go though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Spartanburg, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Came here with some friends, they were there for several days, but I was just there for one. I had a great time though, it was a beautiful. The settings are great with lakes and mountain views. I hope to return in the fall for the changing of leaves!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was one of the most relaxing and fun camping vacation we have ever had.Love all the amenities.We had plans to visit local attractions but decided we loved this place so much we didnt want to leave. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The train was no big deal we actually enjoyed it, my 2 year old would get excited and say mommy,daddy,sissy hear choo choo. We definetly want to come back and recommend this KOA.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Boiling Springs, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We have been going to this campground for many years and it is one of the very best that we have ever camped in. All of the staff there are some of the best that you will find. There is a train that goes through but they can't do anything about that. Usually the first night is the only time that we ever pay it any of attention. There is always something going on. We have stayed on both sides of the river and both are good places. Vickie, Jeff and all of the other staffers do go out of their way to be helpful. I would recommend this campground very highly.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Asheville East KOA? Share your experiences!