“Special Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mama Gertie's Hideaway Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swannanoa
Mama Gertie's Hideaway Campground
You added Mama Gertie's Hideaway Campground to your Saves list
15 Uphill Road, Swannanoa, NC 28778   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Special Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Camping on a mountain top was a first in a lifetime experience. This campground is on my short list of must come back again and again. It is a short drive to the River Arts district of Asheville and the Biltmore Village and Biltmore Castle. We explored the small towns around Asheville then returned to sit and watch the setting sun drop behind the Smokey Mountains.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Conifer, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We loved this place! Very quiet and beautiful views! The sites are large with excellent hookups, fire pits and picnic tables. The roads in here are steep and windy but worth it to stay in such a lovely place that is so well maintained. Excellent bathrooms and laundry facilities!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The bathrooms and showers were not only clean, but also quite nice. The laundry facility, which is in the same building as the bathrooms and showers was about the nicest facility I have seen in any hotel or campground. There are not that many tent camp sites (there are more RV sites), but the ones they have are nice and surrounded by wild rhododendron. I bet the rhododendron are amazing in the spring time. If I camp in the Asheville area again, this is where I am headed. An added bonus is that the campground is just one exit away from the Western North Carolina Nature Center (WNC) and not far from a Cheddar's restaurant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gastonia, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed in a cabin and loved it. We left the windows open and could hear the water running from the creek all night. We were very pleased with the campground - everything was so clean and I always felt safe, I highly recommend Mama Gertie's!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Nice place, I plan on using them again. Management was friendly, facilities were great. The tent sites were screened off from the RVs by trees so I didn't feel crowded in by them or their sounds. The area was lovely and there's an ACE Hardware and CVS not far for anything you might need. It was convenient to Asheville where I was visiting.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Jerry and Jan kept telling us they were not the owners, but they treated us and the campground like it was their own. The bathrooms were spotless and I haven't felt as comfortable about taking a shower since I went to New Zealand (where all of the showers are stainless steel). The cabins were clean (not even spider webs outside) and accommodating. There was even a land line that was invaluable for helping us resolve a car repair issue. I will be coming to Mama Gertie's the next time I go to Swannanoa.

Room Tip: Ask for the cabins that are on the creek!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Summerville, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed in the cabins and it was absolutely spectacular! The cabin and grounds were clean and very well maintained. The setting is so peaceful with a small stream right outside the cabin. Every time we went to the camp store, someone came up and asked if they could help us with anything, whether the store was supposed to be open or not. The bathrooms and showers were the cleanest I have ever encountered. My 86 year old father was able to stay comfortably with us for 3 days. It wasn't hard to find and we felt very welcomed the entire trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mama Gertie's Hideaway Campground? Share your experiences!