“Sisters and boys” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Surf City
Island Inn
202 Goldsboro Ave., Topsail Island, Surf City, Topsail Island, NC 28445   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Surf City
Washington, Pennsylvania
“Sisters and boys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had stayed in houses for years at Topsail. We were very sad when we realized we had to cut back on expenses, as do many families these days. Gone were the days of renting a large house for the week and having the entire family there. The husbands have to work now and so began my search for a smaller option... When I reserved my room for four at Island Inn I had no idea what to expect. After staying there for four days last summer, I am thrilled to say I found that "special someplace"!! I could not say a bad thing about this place if I tried! Clean, quiet, quaint, and did I mention clean? Nicest staff EVER, nicest guests too! Consider island Inn if you too are in the same boat...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you so much!! We do our best to ensure every customer has the same great experience! Also, every year we are do upgrades to bedding, rooms, etc to make our wonderful guests' stay even better!

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Marietta, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

The entire establishment was very clean and well taken care of. The pool was an added bonus. the beach is big even at high tide and always kept very clean. We have enjoyed every stay here! Everything in Surf Side is within a short walking distance of the Island Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of the Island Inn. Even though it is an older place, we did completely redo the entire motel and designed it for comfort, yet easier to keep to our high standard of cleanliness. Nice that our wonderful customers appreciate it!! Thank you!
Robbins, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Growing up my brother and his wife always took me, and my mom with their family to Topsail Island. One of the places we stayed at that I could remember was this one. The Island Inn. Back then, they had just put the pool in, so it was a fairly long time ago. I remember us having a blast. I am now married with a family of my own, and I wanted our first beach trip to be to Topsail. I had called the surrounding inns, and hotels of the beach like Tiffany's, and the one down by the sound. I was greeted over the phone by unwelcoming voices of what sounded to be tired and unenthusiastic employees. I wanted our family to have fun on our first trip, and I didn't want to worry about anything else. After speaking with others on the phone, I went to TripAdvisor. I found the Island Inn, and it suddenly dawned on me that I had been here before. Sure enough after getting in touch with and confirming with my sister-in-law that we this was the place I remembered, I had to call. I got the most welcoming voice on the other end of the phone, and I knew this was where I was booking. No doubt in my mind. I even told the lady how nice she was compared to others I had spoke to. Come to find out I was speaking with the manager. This woman was beyond nice to me over the phone and answered any and all questions I had. inally the time came for us to head to Topsail. When we arrived, I checked us in, (again another extremely nice experience) and opened our room. It was just what we needed. Big enough for my husband, my daughter who was 2, and son who was 10 months plus myself. Even with our pack and play we had enough room, for comfort. All the staff at this place is nice! The beach is located right across the road! Needless to say I WILL be booking here again, and I needed to share with everyone how friendly the Island Inn is. I wanted an overall enjoyable experience and that's what my family got. Thank you Island Inn for allowing us to have a memory I once had as a kid. As a mother you wonder what your room will look like, is it big enough, and all sorts of various things...we had room 4. It was great for the weekend we needed. We went the weekend after July 4th.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are very happy your family enjoys our inn so much!! Thank you!
Holly Springs, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I have not stayed in the Inn but my sister has had my nephew's birthday bash week there for 3 years straight now in July and we have spent a lot of time visiting the place. The rooms are spacious and clean and are set up like efficiencies so you can cook small microwave meals and keep sandwhich and drink supplies in the mini fridge that is supplied. We like the fact that outside of each room there is a picnic table with dividers and clothes hooks so you can hang outside catching the ocean breeze and hang up all your wet towels, etc. We have had the birthday parties outside in our own little private area and everyone is so friendly and accomodating. The owners are usually on site checking you into the place. There is a small pool just perfect for the kids to play in if they get tired of the beach. There are plenty of restaurants, grocery, gift shops etc. all within a block! If my mother did not live in Tospsail we would make it our vacation spot too!

Room Tip: We always stayed on the first floor but 2nd floor may give you more of a breeze and a better view...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you so much!! We strive to be the best we can be. We appreciate each guest and want them to be comfortable and happy!!
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Several friends and myself decided to do an outing at Topsail and decided to try the Island Inn in Surf City, NC. Although I have not stayed at this motel, all the reviews I read were good so I booked rooms for our outing. This motel is in a great location and just a walk across the street to the beach, gift shops and restaurants. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There is a nice pool to enjoy. The hallway has picnic tables set up for gatherings if one pleases. All of the staff were very friendly and we especially enjoyed talking to Brian at the desk. I would definitely stay at this motel again and will recommend to friends.

Room Tip: The corner room was my favorite and although it is next to the street, it is quiet. The room has th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I loved the location of this motel...a walk across the street puts you directly on the beach. We had a room on the second floor and the motel had a nice set up for sitting outside to listen to the sounds of the beach at night.
The room - although very clean it was very dated, not a great use of space and had the smallest bathroom I think I've ever seen (claustrophobic is one word that comes to mind). Everything about this hotel told me the owners were trying to save money...notes saying not to drag sand into the room, don't use the towels and wash cloths to wash make-up off, cheap plastic containers to store things in...which although I suppose I understand but you are on vacation...at the beach... so sand is just one of those things but the owner also complained to me about the outside furniture getting moved by one of the 'guests' and she was not kind about it. I was a bit put off by it all so would be hesitant to stay there again to be honest.
Clean with a great location but not my cup of tea.

Room Tip: Top floor to be sure...although the view is of the surrounding homes and businesses you can at least...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
When we remodeled this motel we, unfortunately, could not make the rooms nor the bathrooms any bigger. We provide makeup remover pads and do appreciate if people use them as to not ruin the wash cloths. We ask guests to not take bath linen to beach or pool because in the past several guests have left it there. We use plastic drawer sets so guests can put toiletries in the bath one and food in the room one. This cuts down on that "musty" smell that wood furniture can get and are also easier to keep clean with leaks/spills/etc.
When guests pull the rocking chairs to their room and leave them, other guests cannot use them. I try to keep it so all guests can enjoy what we have.
Everything inside and out, except for building the buildings, we have done. Several hundreds of thousands of dollars spent.
Our aim was clean and comfortable, but also easy to keep clean due to beach environment.
Thank you for staying and sorry we do not have the atmosphere you desire.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Enjoyed two days at the Island Inn, got up to date on our e-mail and web while on the road down to Miami. The FREE internet is FAST, F-A-S-T, so if you need to connect and get a feel for Topsail while you are there, this is well located and friendly staffed. The room is your average beach motel room, very clean and had a nice little eating nook with fridge and microwave. The only downside was the bed, let's just say it's had better days and is kinda banana shaped!

Room Tip: Second floor room #8 had a nice picnic table at the door... private and easy to access
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
We try to keep an eye on the beds and as soon as we know one has started to sag, we toss it and buy a new!! I am so sorry the bed was not reported to the office!!
Hopefully you will try us again and see that we do not let things go :)
Thank you so much!!

Been to Island Inn? Share your experiences!