“So So in Tokyo” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Granbury, Texas
“So So in Tokyo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had a hankerin' for some Asian cousine and came across the Tokyo restaurant as I was exploring what Spruce Pine had to offer down town. The service was wonderful, the young ladies were very attentive, but the food was just ok. It just did not stand out. I had the General's chicken and it did not have the crispy texture or spicy flavor I had hoped for. I will go back and give a different menu item a try, olny because the service was so good.

Visited March 2013

mpls
“strange place for asian food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I didn't expect to find this fare around the area, Its a nice little place, the staff doesn't speak English extreamly well. The food is ok. all in all its worth a trip in, though it wouldn't be a weekly trip for us

Visited November 2012
Bakersville, North Carolina
“Nice Little Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The lunch I had at the Tokyo was very enjoyable, it was buffet, and everything on it was fresh and hot, We were greeted as we entered, and served quickly. It's not a large restaurant, but cosy and very friendly. It's right in the heart of lovely Spruce Pine, N.C., a beautiful Mountain Town, and after eating, we had the pleasure of shopping up one side of the street and then down the other, our hunger well satisfied by such a nice restaurant.

Visited September 2012
Spruce Pine, North Carolina
“Best oriental food in the Spruce Pine area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This place is the best Chinese or oriental food you're going to get in the area without traveling to Boone or Asheville. This is a very remote rural area with few options available to you. That said, I rate the buffet 3 stars, and would rate it higher if the food were more original and the seating more comfortable. I rate the "order off the menu" entrees a little higher; 3.5 to 4 stars, and they will customize if you ask-- but you pay a little more for less food. On the buffet, the food is OK, and you can definitely fill up happily on things that taste good, but it's very standard "Chinese buffet" fare and is pretty much greasy/fried stuff. The service varies depending on when you hit them and who you get as a server. I admit the seating and atmosphere can be very uncomfortable, especially when it's cold outside and the building hasn't heated up, or if you have an ample behind to balance on their small, rickety chairs, but I like to do carry-out. The bathroom facilities are tiny and old, but I rarely need them. I've eaten here many times, and despite some other reviews mentioning the sanitation, though the building is dingy and old, I've never seen a problem with dirtiness around the food, and never gotten sick after eating here, as I have at other fancier places with better ratings. Another big point in their favor: they don't complain/whine to you about you getting too many of the expensive choices on the buffet like the proprietor of the other Chinese restaurant in Spruce Pine sometimes does; also, they are quite polite about getting more of something from the kitchen if a dish has run out and you ask, and the food is usually very consistent in quality unless you go near end of the buffet time on a slow day. I eat there frequently, both alone and with friends or family. I recommend that if you're frustrated with the service, do speak up, but be patient and don't yell at the staff if they have trouble understanding you; being loud doesn't help them understand more English. Try speaking slowly and/or pointing at the menu instead, or ask for someone who speaks more English.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Spruce Pine, North Carolina, United States
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Theres great food, at a low cost, I eat there often. There's a buffet that I crave all the time. They even have a website you can order off of. So if you don't like to talk, then go on their web page and order. See the menu/ pics and everything. The waitress's are really nice too.

• Visited August 2012