“Family Reunion trip made convenient with Whispering Pines Cabin” 4 of 5 stars

You added Springmaid Mountain to your Saves list
Springmaid Mountain
2.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   2171 Henredon Road, Spruce Pine, NC 28777   |
Asheville, North Carolina
“Family Reunion trip made convenient with Whispering Pines Cabin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I rented one of the Whispering Pines cabins to stay and cook in while attending 3 separate family reunions over the weekend August 8-12, 2013. My husband and I shared the 2 bedroom + loft cabin with another 3 other couples. The privacy of the two bedrooms was great. The couples who slept in the loft as well as in the living room did not have great privacy, but they didn't chip in for the cost so who cares.

I called ahead on the day of check in to see if we could check in any earlier than the allotted 4 pm check in time, because we had been driving in from FL and on the road all night. They did let us check in early and were able to get into our cabin before noon.

The cabin itself had a musty smell. We attributed it to it's rustic location as well as the massive amounts of rain the area had recently received. A few candles from the grocery store helped.

The kitchen was spacious compared to a lot of other cabin rentals. I was able to cook for the 10+ people we had constantly in and out, plus room for my 2 large crock pots I used to cook for our reunions. The kitchen was decently equipped, but I was glad that I brought plastic utensils. The cabin and amenities were definitely on the "rustic" side, but they suited our needs just fine.

The beds were adequate. Not insanely comfortable, but not uncomfortable either. The vanities in the two bedrooms also helped a great deal with keeping the traffic in the only bathroom bearable when it came to the 4 ladies in the cabin getting ready each morning.

The couches in the living room were pretty dingy, though. When we booked the cabin I specifically asked an employee over the phone if the cabin would have AC, knowing I would be doing so much cooking I knew it would get hot even if the weather outside was cool. I was told yes, they have both central AC and heat. Turns out it didn't. Only heat. Luckily it was cool enough at night to open the windows, but cooking during the day with no AC was not fun.

Maintenance collected our trash on a daily basis. They also brought additional towels half way through our 4 night stay.

We decided to go tubing, they advertised $6 for a tube rental for the entire day. The other outfitters in town charge upwards of $20 for 1 run so this seemed like a great deal.The tubes they provided were, let's just say, lacking. As an experienced tuber, these tubes were about 1/3 the size of a normal tube. The five adults that were tubing ranged in weight from 140 - 260 pounds, and the tubes they gave us were appropriate for someone no larger than 90 pounds. We had to take them back to the office to have them blown up some more, and even then they were less than adequate.
The trail hike to the river drop off was a little challenging as well. There are not any signs indicating distance or how far to the drop. The paths were shaded in the woods and very pretty, especially the two waterfalls along the way.

Needless to say, because of the inadequate tubes it was a rough ride. We all got out of the river with various bruises, scrapes and bumps. The water levels were very high due to recent rain, but the stretch of river was so rocky and the tubes being too small was a bad combo on the rocks. I couldn't imagine tubing when the waters were low. Those tubes were completely unsafe, and I feel the staff should not have allowed anyone to rent them. We were worried for the group of smaller kids who had the same size tubes behind us. When I complained to the front desk I was told the larger tubes went missing, and they guess they should get some more larger tubes. You think?

All in all the grounds are very beautiful. They have a lot of amenities to keep you busy and help you relax. The staff is overall very friendly and eager to help you have a great stay. For the area you do get a good value for what you pay. We will most likely rent here again next summer for our family reunions.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Waxhaw, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The cabins were wonderful. Everything was equipped and the wood stove was a plus. Too bad they didn't have a supply of fire wood but we got some in town. Walmart is only about 10 minutes away if anything is needed.

Room Tip: There is a charge for the trail rides, not too much though. All the cabins are roomy and not too clo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Springmaid Mountain is a beautiful place to stay if you're looking to be in the midst of nature. My parents, my son and I stayed here last week for a few days. The 2-BR cabin was the perfect size for us, and we loved the rocking chair porch that overlooked a pond. My son had a ball playing in the creek and then fishing with his granddad. We hope to come back for another visit next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I just had the most amazing wedding weekend at Springmaid Mountain. The location (while difficult to get to for some of our guests - make sure NOT to use GPS - use website directions or call to get detailed directions from Springmaid staff) was absolutely beautiful and met all of our needs and more. Angie and Joe were awesome to work with and were unbelievable accommodating to all of our requests and needs. The pavilion was perfect for our reception and the cabins are clean and very nice. We wanted a place that could accommodate a large number of our family members and with 15 or so cabins, this was just what we were looking for! We were told all weekend long what a wonderful location we had picked and we just could not be happier with how things turned out. Thank you Springmaid Mountain!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is our second visit to Springmaid Mountain Cabins and we had a great weekend. The rooms in our cabin were clean and the bedding was freshly laundered. We shared our cabin with another family and had ample room to cook and relax. We were a big group and we rented several cabins. The hiking and natural areas were well kept and we didn't see any staff member around. It was as if everything was taken care of magically. We had cookouts, a bonfire, dinner meeting at the big cabin and had a fantastic time. There is also horseback riding and grassy area for a short soccer game.

Room Tip: Every cabin has log exterior and great view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have become very familiar with Springmaid Mountain over the last three years. I had my wedding reception at their pavilion in May 2011. All of my out of town wedding guests stayed in their cabins over the wedding weekend. The staff is friendly, the grounds are beautiful and well kept. The cabins are well equipped and comfortable, most have full kitchens. This is the next best thing to owning your own cabin in the mountains. We are staying there again this August and can't wait. GREAT for groups.

Room Tip: Book early for summer vacations, this please books up fast with groups. Tried to get extra rooms thi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fort Mill, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at Springmaid Mountain with a group of ladies at the bunk house for adult horse camp! The horse and hiking trails are wonderful, especially by the waterfalls. It is a great place to relax, get in touch with nature and build lasting friendships. The staff is pleasant and accommodating. My only issue was with the mattress in the bunk house, but that can also be attributed to my bad back! A splendid getaway!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Springmaid Mountain? Share your experiences!