“Authentic Cuban food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Spruce Pine
Cuisines: American, Cuban, South American, Central American
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Description: Found high up on the Blue Ridge of the Appalachian Mountains, "The Tropical Grill" is here to give you an unexpected dining experience. As you exit off the Blue Ridge Parkway at Spruce Pine, NC, go to "Upper Street" in downtown Spruce Pine, across from the Wells Fargo Bank. Tropical Dishes from around the world... Not found anywhere in the mountains and in some cases nowhere else in the Continental United States, unique and original. Dishes from Central America, Colombia, Cuba, the Caribbean, Asia and of course all your favorite Country Style American Home Cookin'. Lunch and dinner includes a full deli and grill with our Philly cheese steak, ruebens, burgers, paninis, Cuban sandwiches and our famous "Riveria". Tropical selections for lunch and dinner include: Fish Tacos, a complete vegetarian and gluten free selection, our famous Tropi-chop platter, Pollo ala Plancha, Steak Argentina and our popular Quesadillas. We have a full line of salads, including our Caribbean salad, our Asian salad and our Greek Salad. Our Quatro Leche dessert cake is to die for! Dine in or take out. Catering is our specialty. PURCHASE OUR GUATEMALAN IMPORT PRODUCTS TO HELP SEND PROCEEDS TO THE MISSIONS IN GUATEMALA. By purchasing our Import products, you are helping the Guatemalan people in many ways. First you help put monies into the Mayan economy. This provides economic opportunities for entire villages that otherwise have very little hope. Secondly, proceeds from your purchase go back to the missions in Guatemala that provide a much needed medical service and supply. But most important, understand it is our primary task to reach each Guatemalan with the "Good News" of the Gospel of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Port Orange, Florida
“Authentic Cuban food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

The best I have tasted since leaving Miami. The food IS scratch cooked and the experience leaves your taste buds singing the "Happy" song!

Visited November 2013

“Colombian Cowboy Rib-Eye Steak Platter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

If you're super hungry and you want to enjoy great tastes with a variety, order the Colombian Cowboy Rib-Eye Steak Platter. Starts out with Colombian chorizo sausage link, plaintains and rice with black beans topped with a cilantro garnish. Followed by a huge rib-eye topped with grilled onions and wonderful steak sauce. Also, comes with a salad with a variety of dressings (creamy cilantro or mango). We also tasted a guava smoothy at the end of our excellent meal to neutralize our pallets. The staff is friendly and very helpful. We really like the outdoor seating. Can't wait to go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“A Wonderful Find - not only for the delicious food but also the impressive Guatemalan artwork on display & for sale!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

I was impressed as soon as I entered the restaraunt! Beautiful, colorful Guatemalan artwork on display everywhere. Clean environment with bright, colorful tablecloths & seating. Quick, good service. Delicious food! Did I say delicious food?! Yes! Wonderful! I'm out-of-towner; but, I will definitely be back! And, I'm telling others so they to can enjoy it like I did!

Durham, NC
“Unique in the best ways”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

How do you gauge a star system rating on a restaurant like The Tropical Grill? Let me start by saying my wife and I often order fish tacos and these were probably the best we've ever eaten. No joke. In Spruce Pine, North Carolina? And the people running the restaurant are so helpful, so sincere, so engaging - it's a delight. It's also totally spartan, decorated with craft items from Guatemala (for sale), doesn't serve beer or wine, and has the wildest looking multi-color chips you've ever seen. But they were soooooo good. Just like the fish tacos. So how do you rate a hole-in-the-wall with a tiny space, an easily overwhelmed kitchen (it's too small for food factory style preparation), and the some of the best fish tacos anywhere? I guess you give it five stars, you recommend it highly, and you plan to visit Spruce Pine again so you can go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Blown away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I never make time for this sort of thing but this place is a MUST visit. If you are within 50 miles of this area you have got to visit this eatery.

Their menu has something for everyone that even the most picky eater should be happy! I have not done a lot of traveling but I visited this restaurant with my family that grew up in Panama, and they attest to the authenticity of that portion of the menu. The food was outstanding, the location charming, and the service second to none. Words can't describe my experience but i will do my best.

Food; everything was bought out promptly and seasoned to perfection. There were many things from the menu ordered around the table and all of them were delicious. My favorite was the steak, a big rib eye cooked perfectly, seasoned in a way i have never experienced. Amazing!

Location; this restaurant is located in downtown Spruce Pine and there was plenty of parking when I was there. Outside seating is available and it is a very cozy intimate setting. There are a great many lovely items available for sale as well and the setting really immerses you in another world. Great decor!

Service; attentive, prompt, precise, and personable. These folks really have a passion for their business and it shows in everything they do. Outstanding!

In short, I will be visiting them every time I visit my family in the area. The only reason I didn't go back the next day for lunch is I had a rental car to return! Two words; go there!