“A pre-camp tradition” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“A pre-camp tradition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is the third year in a row that whenever we bring our daughter to camp, we will stop at the Spindale location for lunch. Just a little bit off the highway, but worth it in every way. The Spindale Barleys has the charm of a small southern town from days gone by, but the food and beer selection of a big city restaurant. We have only tried the pizza, but love experimenting with different topping combinations and the food is always hot and delicious. Actually, we like to stop anytime we are on the way to Asheville from Charlotte. Great stopping point for lunch or dinner. Their beer selection is top notch and has a lot of variety. Nice to see some local and some other beers from NC, including those from the coastal areas of the State. Service is very good and the atmoshere is charming. Next time you are passing through, you should give it a try.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Lake Wales, Florida
“Just a great place !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

When we come to this part of N.C. , we always come for great pizza and the extensive selection of beer that is on tap. Every time we visit the food & service are excellent !

Visited May 2013
“Great beer, good pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We have been going to Barleys since it opened. It is one of the few places in the county with decent beers on tap. I love the staff there, but service can be slow sometimes. I do not count this against them as it is part of laid back experience of the place. The pizza is by far the best in the county and the artichoke dip is a must try. Sometimes the music is a bit too loud for the small space the restaurant occupies, so do not got there intending on much conversation if there is music that night. With that said, I enjoy most all of the bands I have seen here.

Visited March 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
“Dog-gone Shame”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I use to love Barley's in Asheville so much, we named our second rescue dog after the establishment. Lately, however, the food has not been up to snuff. I'd heard the one in Spindale was good, so we planned a daytrip into the little town of Bostic to check out Washburn's General Store, intentionally timing our trip to culminate with the breaking of pizza bread and the imbibing of a nice beer in the nearby, quaint town of Spindale.

The beer was the only thing I found redeeming. The service was fair - took too long to initially get waited on, but after that, the two servers working this shift were attentive. Still, I get nervous when a server doesn't write down my order. Adding to my anxiety (okay, anxiety is a bit strong, but you get the picture) was the fact she seemed confused over my very simple order.

I told my husband when he returned from washing his hands that, ten dollars to a doughnut (or is that "pizza dough, nut"), our order would be wrong. I was right.

His pizza slice was okay, but mine was missing the mushrooms. (I think I also ordered bell peppers, but I can't swear to that. I usually do, though. Those were missing, too.)

Not a huge deal, if the pizza itself had been good, but it wasn't. The crust was very good, but there was WAY too much cheese on it... and disproportionately, not enough sauce. Moreover, the cheese looked rubbery and old. The pepperoni lacked any real pizzazz as well. (Maybe it was suffocating under all that cheese.)

When I consider my dog is Barley's namesake, I begin to think about changing her name. They just aren't living up to the high standards the name, "Barley" suggests.

Barley says, "It's a dog-gone shame."

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Asheville, NC
“Just Ok....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Depends on what day you go and what you order that day. I've went sometimes and loved it and then went other times and thought it wasn't so great. It's average at best. We go if others want to meet up there but my husband and I never really choose to go eat there unless it is to meet friends. Last time we went was with a group and it took a LONG time but they had a band playing and it was good atmosphere for talking with friends.

Visited January 2013