“Subtle sophistication in Southport, NC ” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: For current menu and wine list information, please visit our website
Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Subtle sophistication in Southport, NC ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Loved it, and we will be back the next time we come to Bald Head Island /Southport. Ambience, Ambience, Ambience from our first steps through the door. Set in a charming house with tasteful decor. Semi-private dining in little rooms off the main hallway. Extensive wine list. Eclectic menu, mostly seafood but also beef and took these classic entrees and added a creative twist to make them new, exciting and different and a reason to come here to eat. I had the pecan encrusted trout with sweet potato ravioli and vegetable medley. Portions are generous. My husband had the steak with seafood on top. We both were stuffed to the gills after polishing off our plates. We will definitely be back.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Very nice, but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is the second year that we've gone to this restaurant. The first time we only went for dessert, but this time we went for dinner.It is a very quaint little house that only has 9 tables inside.We had made reservations but it turned out we didn't need them because we were the only ones there. After we were seated, there were several walk ins. My wife ordered the Mediterranean sea food bake. It was absolutely huge! They brought a basket of the most wonderful little breads that they received a locally. We kept asking them to bring us more, and they did. I think one of the biggest drawbacks to this restaurant is that they don't have a kids menu. Its design strictly for couples in adults.I will say that they did make a dish for my daughter that was not on the menu. Not having a child's menu is not their fault. They're just not set up for that.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good food, strangely deserted restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I've eaten there before and always enjoyed the food, and this visit was also very good. It's in a small house a mile or two from the river, lovely space, lots of small rooms turned into dining rooms. Maybe it was just an anomaly the night I was there, but I think there were maybe two other parties in the whole place. And we were all in different rooms, so I was alone in a charming but deserted room. (It was stormy that night, which may be the reason). It also seemed like there was only one waitress for all of us, so I guess I should be glad it wasn't crowded. She was pleasant but did a lot of running around and disappearing, for obvious reasons.

I had the Caesar salad, which was pretty good but a bit weird, containing lots of chopped walnuts. Then I had the pecan-crusted trout, which was very good, although I didn't detect the advertised Bourbon in the sauce. It was a big serving, and was served on top of butternut squash ravioli, which made the dish HUGE. Good wine list.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Southport, North Carolina
“Excellent, excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Beautifully prepared dinner, gracious service, quiet, wonderful evening in old frame house. Expensive for a night out but worth it.

Visited January 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“A charming place for a great meal. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

This was our first visit but won't be our last. We got there around 8 and we had the front dinning room to ourselves. They had a good selection of wines and the menu offers a wide range of options. Our table had the Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp Pasta and I had the ribeye. My steak was cooked perfect and they don't skimp on portion size. The decor is rustic and adds to the experience. We can't wait to come back and try something different.