“Used to be good, not anymore.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 74 Restaurants in Southport
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Buffet, Late Night
Description: NEW STARTING THIS SUNDAY, LUNCH BUFFET!!!!! 11 - PM The Blue Marlin of Southport, NC is a huge restaurant with plenty of space. We specialize in large parties and family dinning and we are also proud to announce we have a full bar! Our menu varies to include fish, (Mahi, Tuna, Salmon, Grouper, Flounder) Lobster tail, Crab legs, shrimp and More! Starting July 24th we will also have All you can eat Shrimp on Thursdays! Come Join us today! Kids eat FREE on Sundays!(With purchase of qualifying adult meal) Ladies Night Fridays (ladies drink free with purchase of meals)
“Used to be good, not anymore.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We used to go there for Island BBQ chicken, and it was really good! The mash potato was really good too. IT'S NOT GOOD ANYMORE. They have new owner and new cook. They used box mash potato, and everything they gave us was frozen food. Never have I been to a restaurant and had a hard time swallowing food. It was absolutely disgusting. The side broccoli tasted like left over from someone else's plate. The rice was all mashed up, and it seemed like it was in a container in freezer for weeks and weeks. The chicken was so thin and was defiantly frozen, and they just put it in microwave to heat it up. We had to ask them to heat up the chicken because it was still cold!
A long time ago, they used to ask us to go on trip advisor and write good reviews about it, so we can get discount, we used to do it, cause we thought it was really good anyway. but now... just not so good anymore.
We gave this place two chances.... We could not believe it. We went to KFC afterwards...

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“July 4th dud”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We had plans to attend the fire works in Southport, but thanks to the speedy service of the Blue Marlin we didn't make it. Quite simply management SUCKS ! Waitresses are running the cash register when they should be waiting tables ! Waitresses are mixing drinks ! The kitchen staff is slow ! First clue should have been the fairly empty parking lot when ever other place was packed! We were told it would be a 10-20 minute wait to be seated because there were no menus ? After waiting 5-10 minutes we asked if we could be seated and place a drink order ( soft drinks and Tea's ) while we waited. it took another 20- 30 minutes before we ever got drinks. By this time the place was clearing out from people walking out so we thought it might get better. another 20 or 30 minutes and our food arrived. To be honest at this point I was very skeptical. The food was actually pretty tasty. If there was some kind of management presence this place could be turned around. I rated the value as terrible because I don't feel you should have pay to wait.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Gave it a go twice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I really wanted to see this place make it, but I doubt this place will be around much longer. The consensus among us locals is to avoid this place like the plague. It's such a shame. They are in a great location with lots of parking, and they've got it decorated very nicely. But that's all I can say positive. Both times we went there, we waited for over an hour to get our food despite only a few patrons being there, and both meals we had were sorely disappointing.

What really bothered me the last time, was one of the the owners or workers there was verbally berating one of the customers for complaining. Her attitude was completely unacceptable, and if I was the owner, I would have fired that young lady for her impudence and rudeness. From what I could hear, and what I observed, the customer's complaints were well founded. The food is terrible, cafeteria style food. They do not use fresh or local seafood. The fried shrimp I had were tough, rubbery, and frozen tasting, while also having a slight rancid oil taste. All I have to say, is gross. Never again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southport, North Carolina
“Don't Bother, It's Terrible!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

It was getting late, around 8:15 pm, and we were hungry. We were told that the place had new management and the "food was better". We ordered our food, and got some hush puppies about 45 minutes later. Dinner was served about 1 hour after we ordered it. Two or three tables of people just got up and left. One couple was asked to stay by the wait staff, so they did, but left after a couple bites of the food. Our food was served, a little cold, somewhat cooked, then reheated. We did not eat most of the food. We will not eat there again. Good luck if you decide to visit the place after reading this review.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Elkins
“Get the Crab Legs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My family scored a Groupon deal for here and we ate a late lunch/early supper here during our vacation in Carolina Beach. My husband and I got crab legs. They were great!!! Steamed to perfection, not mushy and seasoned with good ol Old Bay. Delicious! Service was good too (although we were the only ones there).

• Visited June 2014