“Home away from home...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Southport Inn, Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southport
The Southport Inn, Bed and Breakfast
119 N Davis Street, Southport, NC 28461   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Southport B&B and Inns
Ware Shoals, South Carolina, USA
“Home away from home...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I visited Southport to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary. This was our first time staying in a Bed & Breakfast, and let me say...we will definitely stay here again! Linda and her brother were both very accommodating and very hospitable. We were given choices for breakfast (which was great!) as well as the choice to eat in our private room or downstairs in the dining area. The kitchen was well stocked, and we were assured several times to help ourselves to anything in it. We stayed in room #5 which was fabulous. It has a private entrance with motion-sensored lights so you're not walking upstairs in the dark. There is a kitchenette, bathroom, dining area, sitting area with a tv, and a quaint room with a comfy queen-sized bed. The room was clean, and the decor was very cute! The location of the Inn is perfect! We walked everywhere we went (except to Fort Fisher Recreation Area which is on a different island) and it only took minutes to get there. I would definitely recommend this B&B to anyone staying in the area!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at The Southport Inn. Southport is such a wonderful town, and this B&B is just as charming as its surroundings. It couldn't be in a better location. My room was emmaculate, the breakfast was wonderful, and Linda, the hostess, was awesome. She was very friendly and helpful throughout my stay.

I will definitely be back and would reccommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Apex, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed at The Southport Inn this summer, and it was great!! We stayed in room #5 because it is the biggest room, and it has a pull out sofa, so our kids could have stayed with us, and we didn't have to pay for another room. That was also the main reason why we chose this b&b.
Linda was awesome, she gave us a breakfast menu, so we could choose what time we wanted our breakfast and also what we wanted. She also let us decide if we wanted breakfast upstairs to have more privacy, or if we wanted to eat downstairs with the other guests. The eggs were delicious, and even my picky teenage daughter said so. Also there was plenty of snacks at the Inn which was greatly appreciated by our kids. We had our own fridge and microwave in our room, which was great when we brought leftovers from the restaurants. Linda really did go out of her way, and even when she went shopping she asked us if we needed anything, which made us feel more like staying with a family member, then just some Innkeeper. She knew the area well, and she gave us a great recommendations on what to do, and which restaurants were great.
She recommended doing the golf cart tour, and that I would recommend for everyone. It is fun and interesting way how to get to know more about Southport.
Staying at this inn really made our vacation better, and we would love to be back next summer!
Best of luck to Linda!!!

Room Tip: Room number five is upstairs with its own private entrance, so you can decide if you want to sociali...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lynchburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We recently stayed at Southport for a weekend. The Inn is in a great location for getting around. You can park your car and walk everywhere you need to go in town. The Inn is nice. Our rooms were comfortable and nicely furnished. The shower in our room was so small that if your soap drops you have to lean out of the shower to reach back to get it. The first morning, Linda was gone and her husband made breakfast. They give you a menu that you choose from the day before with the time you want to eat. So he made the breakfast and knocked on the door to tell us come eat and then left the building saying he would be back in 30 minutes. I was shocked. The next morning we had the exact same breakfast but at least Linda stayed around to chat. also we were told that they do not have keys to your room so if you want anything changed you have to tell them. So we used damp towels from the evening before for the next morning. If I were to stay here again, I would make sure Linda was there for breakfast and ask for extra towels before she left for the day. Otherwise it was fine.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IrenaSed, Manager at The Southport Inn, Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hello,
I'm sorry for me not being there one morning. I'm sure I told you why I couldn't be there, so that's why I asked my brother John, who worked there before, to cook breakfast for you.
When I checked you in, I told you that I do not enter your room unless you tell me you need clean linens, towels, take the trash out or just if you need anything done in there. There also was an information sheet in your room, that says the same thing, but also tells you where to find clean towels...
Thank you for your review and for staying with us.
Linda (the Innkeeper)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at The Southport Inn. Great location and Linda, the hostess made a wonderful breakfast each morning and was also talkative/friendly and was able to provide info about Southport and the sounding area. Enjoyed out stay and would recommend the inn to anyone going to Southport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

This is our second time here and have already planned our third trip in September! Linda, the hostess, was friendly and smiling every morning! The breakfast was great, and she also helps when you want to know more information about Southport or the surrounding area. Perfect location, waking distance to almost anything and short drive to oak island. Great prices! Thanks for another great stay! See you soon!

Eileen and Wes

• Stayed August 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you don't mind having to:
Phone the manager and wait for her to come over in order to check in;
Eat Walmart Bacon; eat cold cereal; drink Folgers instant Decaf coffee; have Walmart coffee cake; use Walmart toilet paper and if you don't mind not being able to bend over in the super small modular shower stall, then you can rate this B&B higher than me.
On the good side, the bed and bedding were very good, the room was clean and whoever remodeled this B&B did a good physical job except for the tiny fiberglass molded shower & tiny kitchen. The breakfast was OK, but definitely below the standards of a fine B&B.
I rate this B&B as just a "nice try"...

Room Tip: Find a room in a different B&B!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
I'm sorry you feel that way about our Inn.
Our Inn is different in the way that no one lives there, so you do have to call me for me to know that you have arrived, I changed it in our confirmation email for everyone to know that about our Inn. I do live a cross the street, so it is almost as I lived there. I also am available - on the phone 24/7 so if you would have some problem, I would be there to help you.

I do shop for our Inn in Walmart because it is the closest store, the whole town shops there. The only reason I chose to use the Walmart bacon was that our guest were always telling me how great the bacon tasted, and actually it is not the cheapest, so maybe if I bought the cheapest brand that would have been better because it wouldn't say it is from Walmart. It is the same with the banana bread, people love it, that is why I keep buying it. Most of the time I also bring baked goods from our local bakeries. Let me just mention that we serve Organic eggs that cost twice as much as the normal ones. We also have Organic cereal, Organic milk and creamers, and Organic tea. I don't know what is wrong with Folgers coffee. We say on our website that we provide continental breakfast.

The shower is small, but we have two rooms with big showers, so it just depends on what room you decide to stay in. I have heard many times my guest saying that small shower/bathroom is much better than a sharing it with other guests because that's most of the time the case with other b&b's.

I have watch this Inn grow from no one knowing about it to being voted the number one Inn on trip advisor, so your rating as poor quality and writing that we are "just a nice try" is surprising to read, especially when I didn't hear any complaints when you stayed with us.
You can not expect us to be as luxurious as other Inn's in town, when we cost much less.
Again I'm sorry you feel that way.

Been to The Southport Inn, Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!