“A visit to a '50's era motel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at River Oaks

The Inn at River Oaks
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southport
The Inn at River Oaks
512 N Howe St, Southport, NC   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Southport B&B and Inns
British Virgin Islands
“A visit to a '50's era motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I really enjoyed my 2-nite stay at the Inn at River Oaks in Southport. This road side motel feels like a time warp where you land in the 1950's! It has a great location. The 2-full sized beds were located in a very clean room (we had #8). You get a separate gold key to the ice room. Sink is behind the main door and the shower stall was extreme small, but honestly had the absolute best water pressure of any hotel I have ever stayed at! The A/C worked blissfully well and we heard no outside sounds. There is Los a small fridge in the room. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The beach on Oak Island was very fun!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have been many places in my life and stayed at a lot of hotels by far The Inn at River Oaks beats them all for many reasons. Joe, Zeke and Chad are the best. They make you feel at home and just like a local. They make you feel safe and are constantly asking you if you need anything. They fill you in on Restaurant advice, Beach advice and anything else you may need to know.
The rooms are clean and have everything you need for a relaxing vacation. As realtors say LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. The Inn is within walking distance to everything you may want to do.
Thank guys for a wonderful time. See you in August. Sadie you are a great dog.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Rarely do I find an establishment that ranks as highly in my mind as the Inn at River Oaks. My family has stayed here multiple times in the last year, and my wife and I just returned from our anniversary trip. We travel to Southport about every month or so, and we always try to get a room here. Firstly, the staff acts like you are their only guest, and are always on call if needed. We had one trip where we didn't get to the Inn until 10 pm, and Zek went well out of his way to make sure we got comfortably into our rooms. When we first looked at this hotel, Joe took us to several of the rooms they had available to try and find a room that fit our needs. And the biggest thing is how clean the rooms are.

We have seen both Zek and Joe out in the town, and they always come talk to us and try to make sure we are enjoying our stay. They are traditional beach boys, so you have to keep in mind how relaxed they are. It has been my impression that they want to make sure you feel like part of the community. If you want to know the good places to eat and fun stuff to do, talk to the guys here. I greatly enjoy seeing the guys that work here because I know it will involve catching up on what has happened since our last visit, and listening to some wonderful stories.

Since our stays, I have read several of the reviews and appalled at some of the items others complained about. I have never had issues with the rooms, and if I ever did, I know it will be promptly handled. If you want a good place to stay where you feel as comfortable as you do at home, come see Zek and Joe.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very quiet, and the rooms toward the back tend to be a little bigger.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Very quiet an peaceful, one day there is like a weeks vacation. Joe and Zeke personally see to the comfort of their guests and the cleanliness of the rooms. We are happy to stay in a relaxing and safe location

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
asheville,nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I picked this place from trip advisor reviews. I was there in early Feb. and not many places open and I only wanted to spend one night and not stay at some fancy b&b that cost a bundle. This place had a good rate. When I checked in the guy at the desk was very friendly and talkative. The room I got was very clean, comfortable and neat. Small bathroom (but that didn't matter to me). Room is stocked with a micro, fridge, and coffee pot. The only thing is if I stay there again I would ask for a room more towards the back. My room was up front very close to the highway and I was surprised how much traffic (motorcycle noise and loud cars) were on the main road late (like 1 am!) at night. Other then that. Perfect spot. Walk out door to restaurants and shoppes. Would stay again!

Room Tip: if road noise bothers you then get a room more towards the back of the property.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

It's CLEAN! Of first importance to me in accommodations is cleanliness. No amenity, location, discount, or refund can compensate for the filth found in many of the (expensive) hotels in which I've stayed. The Inn at River Oaks is operated by people who understand how important sanitation is.

It's COMFORTABLE! While the furnishings were Spartan, everything was very comfortable, especially the mattress. Don’t expect the latest in appliances, or the latest in anything for that matter, but the accoutrements are functional.

It’s COZY! Not uncomfortably small, but possessing a “homey” atmosphere. The bathroom was a bit small, but I am an over-sized person, so it may be fine for a “normal” person. The staff practice textbook southern hospitality, which is a major advantage this little place has to it’s credit.

It’s COLORFUL! You’ll have to see it to understand. This is a motel from the past, and I mean that in a positive way. Walking into the room was like stepping back in time. I had a vivid nostalgia experience when I entered the room. It was as if I was back in the 1940s or ‘50s. In fact, I have not seen anything like this since the 1960s. While I enjoy the modern look of glass and chrome and the luxury of leather and mahogany of major chain hotels, I thoroughly enjoyed the blast from the past that is The Inn at River Oaks!

The Inn at River Oaks in Southport, North Carolina, is not a “fine” hotel. It’s a roadside motel not unlike the landmarks along Route 66. However, if one is looking for a nostalgic experience, a convenient location on “the main drag” in town, or simply a clean, comfortable place to stay, it is worth your consideration. The exterior can be seen in the film Domestic Distrubance (although the neon sign has a different motel name) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249478/locations

Room Tip: Ask staff about "theme" rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here while on a cycling tour around the US. We arrived in Southport near dark and were disappointed to find no options for camping and only expensive hotels. We found this place and were warmly welcomed by Joe as if we were old friends. It was very reasonably priced and the rooms were comfortable and clean and it is located within walking distance of the downtown. He highly recommend this place to other touring cyclist as well as travelers.

• Stayed November 2012
RiveroaksMotel, Manager at The Inn at River Oaks, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Glad to have you guys! It was very nice to meet you and we wish you luck on your adventures towards the Keys. Also glad to be on the Atlantic Coast Bicycle Route serving those on their adventures around the country!

Been to The Inn at River Oaks? Share your experiences!