“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at River Oaks

The Inn at River Oaks
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southport
The Inn at River Oaks
You added The Inn at River Oaks to your Saves list
512 N Howe St, Southport, NC   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Southport B&B and Inns
Largo, Florida
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Very quiet an peaceful, one day there is like a weeks vacation. Joe and Zeke personally see to the comfort of their guests and the cleanliness of the rooms. We are happy to stay in a relaxing and safe location

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
asheville,nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I picked this place from trip advisor reviews. I was there in early Feb. and not many places open and I only wanted to spend one night and not stay at some fancy b&b that cost a bundle. This place had a good rate. When I checked in the guy at the desk was very friendly and talkative. The room I got was very clean, comfortable and neat. Small bathroom (but that didn't matter to me). Room is stocked with a micro, fridge, and coffee pot. The only thing is if I stay there again I would ask for a room more towards the back. My room was up front very close to the highway and I was surprised how much traffic (motorcycle noise and loud cars) were on the main road late (like 1 am!) at night. Other then that. Perfect spot. Walk out door to restaurants and shoppes. Would stay again!

Room Tip: if road noise bothers you then get a room more towards the back of the property.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

It's CLEAN! Of first importance to me in accommodations is cleanliness. No amenity, location, discount, or refund can compensate for the filth found in many of the (expensive) hotels in which I've stayed. The Inn at River Oaks is operated by people who understand how important sanitation is.

It's COMFORTABLE! While the furnishings were Spartan, everything was very comfortable, especially the mattress. Don’t expect the latest in appliances, or the latest in anything for that matter, but the accoutrements are functional.

It’s COZY! Not uncomfortably small, but possessing a “homey” atmosphere. The bathroom was a bit small, but I am an over-sized person, so it may be fine for a “normal” person. The staff practice textbook southern hospitality, which is a major advantage this little place has to it’s credit.

It’s COLORFUL! You’ll have to see it to understand. This is a motel from the past, and I mean that in a positive way. Walking into the room was like stepping back in time. I had a vivid nostalgia experience when I entered the room. It was as if I was back in the 1940s or ‘50s. In fact, I have not seen anything like this since the 1960s. While I enjoy the modern look of glass and chrome and the luxury of leather and mahogany of major chain hotels, I thoroughly enjoyed the blast from the past that is The Inn at River Oaks!

The Inn at River Oaks in Southport, North Carolina, is not a “fine” hotel. It’s a roadside motel not unlike the landmarks along Route 66. However, if one is looking for a nostalgic experience, a convenient location on “the main drag” in town, or simply a clean, comfortable place to stay, it is worth your consideration. The exterior can be seen in the film Domestic Distrubance (although the neon sign has a different motel name) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249478/locations

Room Tip: Ask staff about "theme" rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My partner and I stayed here while on a cycling tour around the US. We arrived in Southport near dark and were disappointed to find no options for camping and only expensive hotels. We found this place and were warmly welcomed by Joe as if we were old friends. It was very reasonably priced and the rooms were comfortable and clean and it is located within walking distance of the downtown. He highly recommend this place to other touring cyclist as well as travelers.

• Stayed November 2012
RiveroaksMotel, Manager at The Inn at River Oaks, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Glad to have you guys! It was very nice to meet you and we wish you luck on your adventures towards the Keys. Also glad to be on the Atlantic Coast Bicycle Route serving those on their adventures around the country!
Longs, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Lovely courtyard, rocking chairs among the oak trees and potted plants, very relaxing.
The room was clean, beds were comfy, fluffy towels, everything you need for a pleasant stay.
Joe & Zeke have a good thing going here, they take great care of you and make you feel at home.
We will be staying here during our next trip!
This is a quaint, older establishment, so expect smaller bathrooms & showers, but this only adds to it's charm. Check out the beautiful knotty pine ceilings!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Faith, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My daughter and I had never stayed in Southport before and had booked a room back in April at another small motel on the waterfront. Upon arriving at the other motel, after driving 5 hours, we were told we could not stay there due to a problem with a broken water pipe. NO ONE from this other motel even tried to attempt to contact me concerning the problem. They had every contact number available for me. We were never apologized to and were treated quite coldly, and were referred to a motel "about a mile away" which was a "chain" motel. We found The Inn at River Oaks quite by accident and must admit that it was a sheer blessing to have found it. First off, we were greeted by Zeke in the office, who could not do enough to help us out. The room we stayed in was totally updated, with fresh paint, very clean tile floors and a spotless bathroom, offering big soft fluffy towels. Our room had a new microwave, refrigerator and the A/C kept the room very comfortable. Our visit was one of the most relaxing ones I have had in years. We enjoyed our coffee each morning sitting on a porch swing. This is definitely a place that I would return to for a vacation and will highly recommend it to friends and family. Thanks again to the Inn and River Oaks for a most memorable time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Very small bathroom that had mold on the shower curtain, room was "cleaned" but was really clean, outlets are overloaded on adapters (definitely not how it should be). Staff were friendly and parking is adequate, unless you drive a full size truck or suv.

• Stayed July 2012
RiveroaksMotel, General Manager at The Inn at River Oaks, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
I hate that you had a bad experience with our place. It is an older place and we have had a lot of work to do getting this place up to par after we purchased it from the previous owners. I find it hard to believe that we deserve the statement "very unclean". As the manager I clean the rooms myself a majority of the time so I have a very personal stake in your comment. As for the outlets there is nothing I can do being the older place it is. I have done everything in my power to add more outlets without having to tear down the whole place. I hope others read this and understand if your looking for a big chain motel we have those in town. If your looking to stay IN downtown at a family owned and operated place that has the small town feel to it then we are your place. We offer a quaint place at a GREAT PRICE for this area and we hope that you will give us a chance. I have truly put my heart into this place and try my best to make everyone's stay comfortable! Thank you for your time in reading this.

Been to The Inn at River Oaks? Share your experiences!