“Least enjoyable meal of the week.” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Wine Bar, Oyster Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Chef's market featuring butcher shop and local seafood, delicatessen sandwiches and prepared meals for take out. Patio Oyster Bar open daily in season serving oysters, local seafood and casual fare. Wine Bar serving dinner year round Thurs-Sat.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Least enjoyable meal of the week.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Yearly vistors to OBX. Cottage owners for 15 years. Have our "regular stops" but finally decided to try this place for lunch. Wife got the pork belly reuban special.....so much salt it was inedible. I ordered the "ultimate crabcake sandwich", advertised as 1/2 lb of crab meat for $15.99. As we paid I noticed that my wrapped sandwich was priced at $10.99, the price of the regular crabcake sandwich. I took it back to the deli counter and said that I had ordered the "utimate". They asked what the tag said and I told then crabcake...they told me it was the same thing. I again said I ordered the "ultimate" and they again told me it was the same thing. I gave up. The "award winning" crabcake was nothing special at all. Very little lump crabmeat. Mostly shredded meat, a mushy taste, no real crab meat taste. No comparison to the crabcakes you get anywhere in Annapolis area. Very disappointing meal all around. Too bad.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
mangiabeach, Owner at Coastal Provisions Market & Wine Bar Cafe, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and bringing to my attention the misunderstanding one of our new employees had with the Ultimate Crabcake, which, at a half pound, is indeed twice the size of the regular 4oz cake. I'm sorry your experience was anything less than fantastic. As you can see from previous reviews, we get extremely few negative reviews, with many complimenting our crabcake. It is it is indeed over 70% crab meat (all lump and jumbo lump; no backfin or claw meat as lesser places use to cheapen), with the remaining 30% being necessary components for proper flavor and texture (mayo, mustard, eggs, lemon juice, seasoning and very little breadcrumb). I'm sure being my Annapolis you have had some great ones. I'd be happy to show you how we make ours should you give us the opportunity to show you that we are much better than your review reflects.

94% Recommend
Cape Cod
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

After a drop-in lunch that exceeded our expectations in this otherwise nondescript strip mall, we arranged a dinner for 11 of us on a Saturday night. Wow! Lovely candle-lit setting ;knowledgeable, helpful and very competent waitress; a menu with something for everyone, including the vegetarian in our group; and lovely wine with superb food preparation. My scallops on a bed of risotto with asparagus is as good as it gets, and the rest of our group had similar comments. The chef is a grad of the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY and clearly learned his lessons well. The selection of wines was excellent and the waitress was able to suggest ones that paired well with the various menu items. This certainly was the best meal we had in a week on the Outer Banks. Reservations are suggested for the dinner hour, but drop in during the day for a look at all the delicious deli items and grocery treats, many of them organic.

Visited May 2013
Henderson, North Carolina
“Great Food and People!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I am in love with Coastal Provisions! I have family who are locals and they often get dinner here and take it home to heat up and eat. Whenever we visit, we are never disappointed! I've had the crab cakes, pulled pork, a few types of fish, and the steam pots, and all are delicious! The food tastes fresh, and the service is always wonderful. This would be a great place to stop by to get a quick dinner or a cold lunch to take to the beach. You should definitely pay Coastal Provisions a visit on your next visit to the Outer Banks!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southern Shores, North Carolina
“Birthday Party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I can not begin to tell everyone what a great job Nina, Dan, Chris & Hannah did to produce an absolutely perfect evening! From the twinkling ceiling lights, the wonderful smells of the delicious simmering foods, the extra large shrimp, brie wrapped in pastry, the 3 cheese stuffed mushrooms, the foods were delicious and it was a wonderful birthday party! Since this was a family and friends gathering, we utilized every minute available to us, from 6 - 10 pm in the restaurant. Chris & Hannah were very efficient, not intrusive, collecting dishes, glasses and making sure all dishes were out of our way.
If you are planning an intimate gathering of around 35 - 40 people, want mouth-watering foods, I highly recommend Coastal Provisions and you discuss your event with NINA. She did a fantastic job of suggesting menus, appetizers, side dishes as well as the wines. She personalized the whole evening exactly as requested and it was an evening to remember!

Sue

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Outer Banks, NC
“Our best-kept secret has been leaked!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Coastal Provisions has been on our very fave list since it opened. Until a couple of years ago, we could go there pretty much any time and not have to wait for seats. Well, I guess when a good thing becomes widely known, people start beating a path to the door, and it gets pretty crowded, especially during the summer tourist season. With a seriously well-composed wine list to a manageable menu, diners can always expect to find imaginative and well-prepared food and a perfect wine accompaniment. And the prices? They won't break the bank! It's classy casual 'cuz it's at the beach, but the quality of food and drink definitely isn't sandy fast food like many of the "beachy" places. We look forward to the so-called "shoulder seasons" when we can dine at CP without feeling rushed. In short: terrific food and drinks, laid-back atmosphere, classy servers, and reasonable prices.

• Visited November 2012