“Won't Go Back” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Denton, North Carolina
“Won't Go Back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Let me start by saying this, WATCH YOUR RECEIPTS I will explain in a bit.
We picked this place because it was half way between us and our daughter and son-in-law, this way we could meet to eat and spend time together without either of us having to travel to far. Based on reveiws by different websites we were looking forward to having a good meal. Made a reservation for 5pm, the time they open up, and had to wait a couple of minutes to be seated, so I went to the ladies restroom, and was shocked at how small it was. I had to leave the stall door open to sit down, if I had shut the door, I would not have been ble to sit down, there were two stalls and both were the same. If a handicap person had to go not sure where they would have went because there was no way they could use it. If someone had came in I would have been embarassed, there was no privacy what so ever. This really needs to be reported. Ok we ordered, waitress was knowledgeable, and was freindly. The food was ok, have had alot better and have had worse. On the way home my chicken decided it didn't like me any more and was tearing my stomach up, left a very very bad taste in my mouth. Let me add this is the only steakhouse I have ever eaten at where I fixed my own salad, which in the long run was the best part of our meal. The layout of the restaurant was weird also, tables are too close together, I had to wait on everyone to get up so I could move table to get up just so I woudn't knock the man behind me out of his chair. Also we commented on how it felt like we were at a rest home because of all the older people there, not any young couples. Now let me explain about the bill - When the waitress laid the bill on the table we noticed that it was rather high. When we looked at it closely there was a pork chop plate on it and no one got pork chop at our table. When we pointed it out to the waitress she said she used our table to check the price of that meal, why could she not have just looked at the menu, also she said she would have to check with the kitchen to make sure they didn't fix it, well she came back and said that they had but were able to sell it, this just dosen't make any sense at all to me. If she done that to other tables then who knows how much profit they make that way. I will not be recommending to anyone and will never go back. We will continue to look for a place half way and I will continue to reveiw them.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Ediburgh, Scotland
“Only one good thing, but the ten bad ones spoil it.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

It's like having a meal in a run down airport lounge in 1952.
Cheap interior made up of job lot lighting, airport floor tiles, rickety furniture, cold and dismal. Not even cheap.
We couldn't wait to leave. Nothing could compensate for the environment. How anyone can think this rates more than two stars is quite beyond me. The worst restaurant in the area

The one good thing-salad bar, but not as good as an average supermarket.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Southern Pines, North Carolina
“Dated decore, so-so food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've lived in a lot of cities. I love restaurants that stick around and deliver good and dependable food year in and year out .
Upstate NY and Pittsburgh come to mind as places where I can go years later and find the same places with the best steak or pizza.
Beefeaters has a loyal clientele and people who will rave about its food. I thought it was dated, played and old.
Low ceilings, dark lighting, bartender that was there in the 70's and could tell me nothing about the wines and looked completely confused when I asked to try a sample of the house red.
The salad bar is the same cart style (about 3' X 8' with a sneeze guard) with baby corn cobs and cottage cheese, that I swear was there the day the place opened.
Tables are cheek by jowl and small (people were smaller in the 1970's after all!) and the place is noisy. The food comes out fast and it was nothing memorable or in any way spectacular. Again, so-so.
We don't go out all the time and steak prices are too high in many restaurants. The prices at Beefeaters are reasonable, but the atmosphere really turned me off. Do not go there if you have a romance in mind... way too 'family style' for that.
There are just too many restaurants in this area to make this trip back in time again.

Visited July 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Old school”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Its dark, and old, and everything a steakhouse should be. The menu is huge (frog legs, anyone? Deep fried ribs?), but the prime rib is the size of a boogie board. The roast beef sandwich could feed eight. The steaks are cooked as requested (requested temperature was perfect) which, oddly, is difficult to get in a steakhouse these days. And, for two people, cocktails, steaks, wine.... out for waaaay less than 100 dollars.

Visited October 2012
Oxford, Pennsylvania
“Still Great but we must be honest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We came back to Southern Pines while traveling and decided to go back to Beefeaters after a great dinner in January. The hostess seated us and said that the ownership had changed so we were worried but still were ready for a great meal. The salad bar was still the same, wonderful with items not usually found on a salad bar, smoked oysters, smoked whitefish as a few examples. Salad dressings could have been home-made but were still good. The prime rib was excellent, rare as ordered and juicy; and spiced just right. The crispy duck was tasty BUT a bit over done and on the dry side. This was one of their signature dishes and perhaps the cook could have made it crispy and juicy. Overall, the experience was great, our waitress was the same one we had in January and most excellent. Sorry we did not get her name, she deserves credit! We will be back when we get back to this area. The menu had so many other items, we will have to try other entrees next time.

• Visited September 2012