“Down home Japanese” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Japanese
“Down home Japanese”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Coming from Hawaii I was a bit spoiled with Asian foods. I have been longing to find a place with similar results and here in Southern Pines I have found it!

The sushi was not plentiful in variety, but what was there was fresh, invigorating and well presented. The local wait staff could use a bit of education in Japanese customs as their tact and service was a bit poor. However, they were trumped by the freshness and the quality of the food.

For those who know L&L, the Katsu here blew it out of the water! This is a must visit

Zebulon, North Carolina
“Great sushi - Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We absolutely loved our experience. I read the other reviews and I have to say our service was beyond excellent. The sushi was unreal and served with a wonderful presentation. Our 2 girls 7 & 9 gave it the stamp of approval as well and that is really saying something. :). Thanks to the staff.

• Visited June 2013
Aberdeen, North Carolina, United States
“terrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were there soon after they opened. Service was the WORST. She didn't seem to know much about the food on the menu. Got our food before soup and salad, food was cold..Told the waitress and she didn't care just said hmmm no one else has complained. Owner came by and never offered anything such as apology just a to go box. Will not go back.. Is not hibachi Japanesse food.

Visited March 2013
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
“Best sushi in The Pines”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I lived in Las Vegas before moving here and we were very disappointed with the sushi selection. We were very spoiled with over the top good food there. Although Susa Sushi is very good, it didn't meet our high standards. The sushi and entrees met our sushi needs. Everything is very fresh and well made. The only reason they get 4 stars is because they are extremely slow with sometimes poor service. If you don't mind a two hour dinner, I highly recommend the food!

• Visited April 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A Welcome Addition To Southern Pines...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was so please to hear that Makoto was opening after watching the sign go up knowing that they were coming.

Southern Pines needs Sushi. Southern Pines needs GREAT sushi. Makoto nailed it!!!!!

It's a very small and intimate establishment, perhaps eight tables in all, plus seating at the bar. It’s an ideal location for a romantic dinner or a comfortable meal with close friends and family.

The first thing that hooked me was whomever created the Sake list, did it properly and included some Nigori (unfiltered Sake) which to me will emphasis the true flavors of Sake as well as the sushi. Well Done!

We started at the bar and the Sushi Chef was friendly and knowledgeable. She guided us through several appetizers and then onto multiple rolls, all with incredible presentation and freshness.

It’s a family run business with the daughter behind the sushi bar and mother and father around the restaurant.

Overall it was a perfect experience and one I look forward to repeating again.

• Visited January 2013