“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Marshall, Virginia
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

With the plethora of large chain restaurants in this area it was a surprise to find a unique restaurant with quality food, uniquely served in a beautiful atmosphere.
The offering is essentially a shared dining experience with many southern favorites presented in large portions to share. The food is great, the service is excellent with a nice beer and wine selection. I thought for the quality and portion size the prices were great. Ill go back on my next visit to the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Saint Pauls, North Carolina
“Best Fried Chicken I ever had”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My daughter recommended this restaurant to me as a place for us to get together to celebrate my birthday. I read some reviews and did some other research on Firefly, Ryan was our server and explained the different menu choices. The sweet tea was great. I do not normally drink sweet tea, but today I did and it was very good. We ordered the Colossal Crab Nachos and Fries, 3 Ways for appetizers. We also ordered the Fried Chicken with Sauteed Spinach and Cheesy Jalapeno Grits. I was very pleased with the food both in quality and quantity. I will add that, I had to drive about 45 miles from my home to get to Firefly, but I feel it was worth the drive and I will return to dine there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Me and a friend ate there tonight after high anticipation from this new restaurant. We were sorely disappointed in what could have been a very nice dining experience. It is definitely a restaurant in search of itself...trying to be hip and cool when it is basically an overpriced pub.
It wasn't that busy when I arrived...no wait and a few empty tables here and there...and I ordered a drink while I waited for my friend to arrive. It took almost 15 minutes to get one cocktail from the bar. The table next to me was seated after me, ordered drinks after me, but got their cocktails before me (same server).
The menu is unimpressive. EVERYTHING is slathered with some form of grease: cheese, pan drippings, more cheese, bacon, sauce. There were no steamed vegetables of any kind to choose as a side. Even the corn on the cob is covered with butter and about a half pound of Parmesan cheese.
If you wanted fresh vegetables, you could order a salad but beware...these salads are for groups. Our 'dinner salad' fed three of us and I brought over half of it home.
My friend ordered the meat platter, medium well. After our appetizers, then our salads, arrived, our waiter informed us that the meat platter hadn't been cooked yet because he had failed to put the meat temperature in with the order. Not sure why a kitchen manager didn't come and find him immediately to get that information, but we were left waiting for the meal. When it arrived, her medium well meat was raw. So, we had to send it back. And for the prices we paid, we expected a manager to come over to express interest in our meals but that never happened.
I ordered the beer can chicken. It was basically a cut up rotisserie chicken with a side of greasy sauce. Oh, and the beer? Pabst Blue Ribbon. For the price I paid for that chicken, I was shocked at the use of cheap beer instead of a local IPA. I could only eat a little bit as the chicken was so greasy because of the skin and pan drippings. The paper lining the plate was so coated with grease that it tore when I tried to cut the meat.
Our waiter was trying very hard to impress us with his social skills (he wrote nice messages on our 'to go' boxes) and he apologized profusely (many times, in fact, interrupting our conversation). However, I would rather have timely, attentive, correct service than a chirpy waiter.
There are too many nice restaurants in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area with better food and service for us to consider going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Vass, North Carolina
“Good dinner great people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We had a great experience on our 1st visit. The atmosphere is great and lots of space. We had a drink at the bar and lots of options and very friendly bartenders. For dinner we had two chicken orders which were large and very good. The specials were seafood and were good but lots of spicy heat. You really had to enjoy spicy. The surprise was the special. Very pricy given the menu norms. I really liked the group items offered and the deserts were fantastic. Unique is the table items or shared menu items. Group sizes work best at 6. Most seating is booths and real large parties get difficult. The servers were knowledgeable and attentive. I recommend and will go back. They have a unique niche in town.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Refreshing restaurant addition to Pinehurst area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Firefly has a big city feel here. Attractive atmosphere. Nice staff, you have double coverage, but not disturbing you too often. Menu had a lot of great options. Small plates to share or to get a few for your meal. LARGE plates which would definitely be part of lunch tomorrow. And great entrees. I got the salmon, I loved the ratatouille, cheese and eggplant! We ended with the trio cookie sandwiches. Hard to eat, but all home made, so one can always find a way to devour. We will definitely be back. You can book via opentable.com.

• Visited February 2013