“Perfect for a golf vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Mid Pines Inn and Golf Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1010 Midland Rd., Southern Pines, NC 28387   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Southern Pines
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect for a golf vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were here for a golf weekend. Had the $545 package for 2 rounds including golf for three nights. We stayed at the Holly Villa which is on the 10th tee. The Villa is a little older but have 6 bedrooms. The rooms are not modern but if you are there with a bunch of guys don't worry it serves its purpose. You have ice maker, small frig and they bring extra cooler if you need for beers. No kitchen. The beds are a little small for you bigger and taller folks. We did like the fact the backyard was on the back of the 10th green. The golf course is in great shape and moves pretty quick. The bar area is nice. The only down side is the front desk. They weren't all that helpful and didn't know anything about our packages we got. April even told my friends that golf was not included. Other than that it was a good all around trip.

Room Tip: The front desk service is not quite on the ball here but they are very nice. We checked in for a go...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
charlotte
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

While the "old" charm of the place was great, sometimes, "old" can go too far. I mean, the water damaged ceiling in my room, should be replaced- bottom line. The sheets and pillows, do not need to be original either- time for updating. The bed was comfortable so that was great. The service, while nice and cordial still missed the mark a bit. Sounds petty, but I really needed a nail file when I checked in and the attendant couldn't locate one. I silently was hoping one would appear when I returned from dinner, but no such luck. Perhaps, expectations too high. In any case. Nice enough set up. I can see a bunch of guys playing so much golf, they can't see straight when they return to the room. In that case, I'm sure it's just fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Beautiful old hotel with mucho charm. Rooms are very clean and spacious enough. Staff is very friendly. Dining room is beautiful. Beds were very comfortable. That being said, this old lady needs help by way of a face lift and update of the ventilation and air conditioning. The AC just couldn't get the job done in the heat of this summer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Just returning from a girls golf weekend at Mid-Pines. We rented the Fairway Villa (8 bedrooms) and had a ball but there are some things you should be aware of if this is your first trip.

First -- the golf! You simply cannot play on 2 better public courses in the area than Mid Pines and Pine Needles. Both are Don Ross designs; both will challenge you regardless of your handicap; both are rich with history and reflect the love and care of owners who honor the designer and the game.

In terms of accommodations though, nothing has changed at Mid Pines in the entire 20 years I've been coming here. It will always remain a sentimental favorite of mine and one of my favorite places on the planet. It's charm is the people, the food, the porch overlooking the 18th. Be there as the sun goes down with a cocktail from Pop's Lounge.

The downside is the property is in serious need of Face Lift. I don't require new furniture but the electrical system is kinda scarey. We blew the circuit breaker in some of the rooms when the TV was on...and a blow dryer was used. The pool was drained which was surprising for June. Tennis courts had weeds growing up in the cracks.

We come here for the golf...and I'm sure we could have used pool/tennis courts at Pine Needles had we really been interested. The Grand Old Lady could just use a bit of powder on her nose to freshen things up.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I came for a conference at Pine Needles and started to book my room on the internet but then decided last minute to call and discuss the "group rate" for my conference. Once I mentioned I was with the group, they wouldn't let me book any other way. I asked for a king room at Pine Needles and was told there weren't any, despite that the internet booking indicated it was available. I was also told the only room available was one in Mid Pines with 2 double beds. I was already a little concerned about the less than positive reviews and now even more so. I asked for a super quiet spot because I really needed a quiet get-away. I got put on the third floor at the end of the hallway, but there's nothing quiet about it. I can hear every word people speak in the hallway, in the room beneath me, in the room next to me and out in the parking lot in front of the building. Service is friendly and it's clean, but having to lug my bags up three flights of stairs to a room I didn't want for a price that I could've gotten cheaper online doesn't make me happy. For an historic building, it's nice, but I'd rather have spent $130 somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Got a great deal at this facility and the golf was great. Right out the back door.

Room Tip: Corner Rooms on second floor are roomier.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
North, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We went with another couple for the w/e-the guys golfed twice and the girls shopped. Our rooms had a center sitting area between our bedrooms. We had wine and snacks before dinner in our sitting room, not sitting on someones's bed. Very nice!
All the amenities we wanted; friendly staff, comfortable beds, plenty of pillows.
Look forward to going back.
The hotel is old but very charming. It was certainly worth the price we paid.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mid Pines Inn and Golf Club? Share your experiences!