“Worst Hotel Ever!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

You added Americas Best Value Inn to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   197 Mallard Road, Smithfield, NC 27577 (Formerly Howard Johnson Express Inn Smithfield)   |
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Smithfield
Maryland
“Worst Hotel Ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

Please people, I beg of you. Do not stay at this hotel. My mother and I were visting relatives in the area and decided to stay at a hotel for the night. I knew we were in trouble from the moment we arrived--you could barely see the hotel from the highway. When we got to our room, my mom went in to "inspect", I was afraid to get out of our car. We I finally got the nerve to enter the room I was shocked at what I saw. The bathroom was dirty and moldy. The sheets looked as if they had not been washed...well...EVER!!! I was afraid to sit down on the bed, much less sleep in it! The room smelled bad and everything was dirty and disgusting. We ended up leaving and finding a better hotel nearby for almost the same price!

There is NO reason to stay at this hotel. It is located near really nice hotels nearer the Carolina Outlets.

Luckily for us, Travelocity refunded all of our money.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Upstate, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

We'd be using the Howard Johnson in Smithfield for years-immediate family in the area. Hadn't stayed in about 4 years. It's become a dive! There were people there that were using it as public housing-they had their laundry stung out on a line. There were animals-cats and dogs-milling around by the rooms. One person had left their pickup truck door wide open for a dog to sleep. We got into the room and it was gross. The smell of urine was overpowering. There was mold inside the small fridge in the room. They had patched holes in the curtains with duct tape. Needless to say-we checked back out pronto. Notified HJ headquarters about the conditions-told they it was now a independently own hotel now. I told the rep they should revoke their franchise-they aren't keeping it up to HJ standards at all..

• Liked — Nothing-they even did away with the resturant there.
  • Disliked — The dirty rooms, animals roaming around by rooms.
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greenville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

We got out town for a weekend, about an hour and a half from home. The first night we stayed across the way at a decent little locally owned motel. We relocated for the second night because my son didn't like the dial-up internet, and thinking that this hotel had wireless he booked our second night here. BIG MISTAKE.

Upon checking in we went to the room just down the side from the office. The bed had a peculiar lean from foot-to-head. Having to sleep with my head slighlty elevated we had to use the cushions from the sofa to raise the mattress to a reasonable level. (Just above level, actually.) The condition of the cushions gave us an uneasy feeling so a friend, who always brings her own disinfectant, gladly sprayed them down for us.

We went out for the day and returned later to learn more of the problems with this motel. I had asked shortly after check-in for additional pillows to assist with my personal condition. I should have known from the answer, "I'll check, but I don't think we have any", that I would be disappointed. Needless to say, upon return and inquiring of the desk help (same individual) she said there were none available, as she continued her crocheting. The motel was practically empty!!

We went to use the microwave that came with the room and were greeted by a loud ticking noise. Thus causing us to quickly cease from using it. When we looked behind it we noticed that there were FOUR items, including the microwave, plugged into an extension cord.

In the morning we went to check out the "Continental Breakfast." What a joke. It consisted of stale Cheerios with hot milk, a bag of stale powdered doughnuts, waffles - with a broken toaster, and orange juice you had to try and get from a broken machine. Needless to say, we passed!!

To sum it up the rooms were just a disaster when it comes down to it. The amenities were the same. Oh yeah, dial-up internet service, which worked even slower than the other motels.

I have never encountered such a horrendous setting and service from a HoJo's. But trust me, we'll NEVER stay at this one again. Nor do we recommend it to anyone, not even my enemies.

• Stayed May 2006
NY, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

This past Saturday we were on our way back to NY after spending a wonderful week in Florida. It 11pm at night and my husband and I got really tired after the long drive. We spotted the sign for a Best Western, but upon making the exit we saw this Howard Johnson property, so I told my husband to let's just take this place, how bad could it be?
I should have turned around the minute I got into the lobby area, as that should be an indication of the type of surrounding. Instead I went ahead and booked a room with my credit card, my husband kept asking me if I was sure I wanted to do this.
When we proceeded to drive around to where our room was located, I somehow started to feel uncomfortable. It felt very unsafe..not the place I could stay for the night.
Upon getting to my room and putting the key in the door, I saw a king size bed that looked at if the matteress was well used, it looked like a nasty motel. I was so shocked that I slammed the door and jumped back in the car (before my husband could get out) and told him we'd better get out of here. We drove back to the lobby area and asked the lady to kindly refund my money as I have no intention of staying there.
She didn't hesitate, and we headed out and realized that all the better hotels were on the other side of the exit.
This place is unsafe and should be closed for good.
As a tripadvisor member I have to let others know. FYI..the room cost was $56.

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2004

We had a very frightening experience. A black man tried to break into our room around 2:30 a.m. Only quick thinking on my husband's part did we avoid serious injury. The people in charge of the motel didn't even come down to our room to check to see if we were okay. We called the police and they waited until we packed up and headed for home. We did receive our money back. After notifying Howard Johnson Headquarters, they informed us that they are independently owned and they were sorry for our "inconvenience. Need I say we will never stay there again.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2004

Stayed here in August 2003. Booked the room on line and got a real good rate. It is not the Waldorf but it was clean and the staff were really nice and helpful. Location is right off 95. We are one night stay travelers so we are not looking for four star motels. We like a clean, safe comfortable place.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!