“Excellent breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 76 Restaurants in Smithfield
Cuisines: American
“Excellent breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We were in need of breakfast on I-95 N, and thought we'd try this Cracker Barrel. Friendly place, roaring fire, good breakfast selection. Just what the doctor ordered!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Long Beach Island, NJ
“Poor Introduction by a Cracker Barrell Dinner - Breakfast Is Dependably Better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

It is easy to do good breakfasts - and that is their best meal served. It was my hope to introduce Cracker Barrell to my partner (from where there are no Cracker Barrells) traveling with me as we drove south on I-95. I should have waited for a better time - the morning - for a Cracker Barrell stop. We chose to stop at this point in Smithfield, North Carolina to have dinner. It was a Thursday night, just before Christmas week, at the height of the dinner rush for this particular Cracker Barrell, and the place was mobbed with diners and shoppers, and it seemed it was being patronized by many local NC shoppers from the nearby outlets as well as a number of I-95 travellers. We only had a wait of ten minutes, and during the wait, we checked out the gift shop area. We remarked to each other on the mass-produced kitch - country store items specifically produced exclusively for these retail stores. There was a preponderance of Christmas related items, and I noticed that it seemed to be a good spot for people to buy stocking-stuffers for their friends and relatives. We saw nothing unique. We were not buyers. Of course, they put big red ribbons on those two-hundred dollar grandma and grandpa "country" rocking chairs one sees outside all Cracker Barrells. Well, we went in for dinner to our assigned table. The couple of pieces of cornbread and two southern style biscuits were nice and warm, but we had to ask for more of those little packets of butter. Our waitress was quick enough (as this place is just a cut above "fast" food) and we had our choices for drinks refilled efficiently throughout our stay at the table. My chicken fried chicken dinner was as expected, chicken tenders of white meat under the thick fried breading with plenty of the sawmill gravy slathered over it. The steak fries were plentiful on the plate. Filling. Comfort food. Rather bland. My partner ordered the grilled pork chop. It was a thin, dried, leathery looking excuse for a "pork" chop ... surely an embarrassment in any other place in Smithfield - known for its history of producing fine products from pigs. It was just a tiny bit of meat, "grilled" to resemble a piece of spiced corrugated cardboard by the boys in the kitchen. Mashed potatoes are nothing special, the green beans are too dependent on their special bacon-sauce. The best thing we had was the sweet apples in a monkey dish ... like a sweet dessert. We are not complainers, so we paid the bill to a very nice, friendly, talkative local boy at the cash register (he was their best representative), told him a white lie about how good everything was, and tipped the attentive wait staff properly. I hope they don't split it with the kitchen staff. We looked around the walls near our table during the meal, and noted that the old family / farm items and photos hanging there (collected and copied from some flea markets) all needed to be dusted, and the glass needed some wipes and shine to remove the grease of the last few months ... yes, the whole place needed a good cleaning ... the tables, chairs, floors, and especially the antique items on the walls and hanging from the ceilings covered in dust.

After our return from our ten-day sojourn, we reviewed and remarked about the best and worst restaurant meals we experienced of our trip. This was his pick for the worst meal he had ... that dried porkchop turned him off forever to all Cracker Barrells. I should have saved Cracker Barrell for breakfast ... I had failed to present Cracker Barrell to my partner in its best offering, for their best meal. And this place in Smithfield, NC, seemed to be not as well cleaned as I had remembered Cracker Barrells.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Smithfield, North Carolina
“love the store”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I like going to the cracker Barrel mainly to see all the new items in the store. I love how they decorate for Christmas. The breakfast here is very good size for the price and I would deffinately reccomend it to any traveler

Visited February 2012
Clayton, Delaware
“Always good food and good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We visited this location for dinner, and they always have a good variety of light menu items and full dinner entrees. They have a good seasonal offering now, and have incorporated the flavors of fall in their side items too. Cracker Barrels always seem to be noisy, so if you don't mind that you'll enjoy the restaurant. Another tip we found while shopping in the store - sometimes they have additional stock in the back, so if you don't want the display model, make sure to ask a staff member.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Cracker barrel restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Cracker barrel is always good. We like it for the convince and fast service. We like their breakfasts and always had good service. Staff is always friendly and pleasant. Can't go wrong with Cracker Barrel.

Visited November 2012