“A quiet, friendly stop between NYC and Charleston” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Becky's Log Cabin Motel

Becky's Log Cabin Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Smithfield
Becky's Log Cabin Motel
You added Becky's Log Cabin Motel to your Saves list
2491 US Highway 70 Bus E, Smithfield, NC 27577-7788   |
Ridgewood, New Jersey
“A quiet, friendly stop between NYC and Charleston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

For many years I have been looking for a safe, restful lodging in this area. Smithfield is a good place to stop on our frequent trips between New York and Charleson, SC. On the way down, we can arrive at a comfortable hour -- even allowing for a late departure and for Washington-to-Richmond traffic -- and still reach Kiawah Island in the early afternoon of the following day. On the way back, we can spend the day at the beach and arrive in Smithfield before midnight.

The Log Cabin Motel is convenient to I-95 but quietly situated. The staff are very pleasant. They guaranteed a non-smoking room, which was large, fresh, and extremely clean. The furnishings and decor were dated. The TV was old, but the cable worked as did the older model microwave. We were happy to park our heavily-loaded Jeep right outside our door.

Other than complimentary fresh coffee in the lobby, there were no special ammenities. Apparently the "breakfast area" is not being used at the moment and the Log Cabin Restaurant isn't open for breakfast, but the woman at the front desk was able to direct us to nearby restaurants. Boxes of new TV's, etc., stacked in the lobby area suggest that the owners may be making upgrades.

All-in-all, the Log Cabin was basic but perfect for our purpose, and we will definitely stay there in the future.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2005

I called around for room rates and one place was $95 and the Becky's was $47 for 2 adults, no kids or pets. We stayed in room 74. Nonsmoking. The room was clean, large with a refrig, microwave, king size bed. Of course it had a bed, TV, AC, and even a recliner. The restaurant had excellent food. My husband and I each had the 10 oz ribeye, that included the salad bar and soup, one side. and a mini loaf of bread. The meat was cooked as we wanted and served on a hot iron steak skillet. We got 10% off our meal for staying at the motel. They also had an outdoor pool. It was very quiet!!!!!:) :) :) :) I would stay there again!!! :) :) :)

Barbara

• Stayed May 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2004

For the past four years we have stayed the night here on our way to Myrtle Beach. We have found this place to be above average.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2004

I stayed at Becky's Log Cabin this past weekend (July30-August1). To be totally honest, the stay was no more than adequate. I would definitely not recommend it to anyone. I came down there for a family reunion and was told that we were given a group rate. Funny, that rate of $44.95 a night is the same rate that Becky advertises when you call for room rates. Because of the "special group rate", we were not allowed to use the $5.00 off coupon that we picked up at the North Carolina Welcome center.
The attitude we received from the woman at the front desk was less than gracious. Her inability to be polite was equalled by inability to multi-task (have more than one thought in her head at a time). She really put the South back a couple of years. Being from the New York, I always recognize the calm, relaxed, friendly, gracious demeanor of Southerners. If it wasn't for her accent, I would have thought I was in the France.

And lastly, although I did find the rooms cozy, they were not properly equipped. She stated to a caller, while we were checking in, "I only have one iron for 44 cottages." Some rooms had refrigerators and microwaves and others did not. Room rate played no factor on what was in your room. I found the housekeeping staff to be very nice, polite people. However; the mold that was growing in the bathroom, proved that better cleaning is necessary. Bottom line, great weekend, great rate, sub standard conditions.
James
New York

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2004

Unless you're expecting the Waldorf-Astoria, I don't see how you'd be dissappointed with Becky's Log Cabin hotel.First, this is not cabins as the name might imply. This is a very clean, bright, well-maintained motor lodge that uses a log structure. This gives sort of a "Yellowstone Park" look. Rooms are large and clean with all of the modern amenities. I asked for a refrigerator and microwave and had one in my room.I have stayed here twice and would definately recommend it and personally prefer it to any of the national chains in Smithfield.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2004

The AAA guide gives Becky's Log Cabin Motel one star. That is generous. I'd like to relate the experience my family had at Becky's. Considering that we had spent the day in Charleston, SC and stayed at a four star hotel and eaten at a four star restaurant for lunch, my expectations were a bit high. We had driven toward the North Carolina border and decided to find a hotel somewhere north of Fayetteville. We got off at the Smithfield exit and were soon greeted by the down-home look of Becky's Log Cabin motel. A long, single story hotel with accompanying restaurant was quaint. "Hmm," I thought, "this could be sort of fun." The rate as quoted for two adults and one child was $45.00 per night. We looked at a room (number 64) and decided it was worth $45.00, considering there were other hotels near also within that price range and we were already at Becky?s. We proceeded to check in when we got the first surprise: the actual rate was $50.00 per night. They had neglected to mention the NC state law which mandates that additional guests beyond double occupancy are charged $5.00. So, with tax, the total came to $55.00 per night. I was a little miffed about this but let it slide considering I was offered a 10% discount at Becky's restaurant, which was next to the hotel.The fact that the restaurant looked like a huge log cabin somehow reassured me that there was some good down-home vittles to be had. We were seated and brought menus. I really wasn't extremely hungry so I decided to get a salad. The soup and salad special was a bit steep ($6.99) considering the meager salad bar and one type of soup but I went for it. My wife also had the salad bar and my 5-year old son had the chicken fingers. The salad bar contained what was called ?New England Clam Chowder? but should have been called ?Milk and Flour with bits of potato and canned clams? soup. The salad bar was particularly boring with iceberg lettuce and spinach with a paltry assortment of toppings and dressings. The highlight, if you could call it that, was the huge block of cheddar cheese at the end of the salad bar. Good thing I like cheese. I did go back for seconds on the cheese ? I had to get my $6.99 worth. My son?s chicken fingers were way to heavily breaded and the french fries tasted like they were fried in Friday?s oil which had been used since Monday. He didn?t eat any of it and he had been starving! The bill came to $20.00 so I went to the cash register to pay. I was politely informed that my waitress would take my money and that no money is handled at the front register(?!). I had two $20 dollar bills and asked the waitress to break one for me. This was also a fiasco. She had no singles but only a ten and two fives. This is from a waitress who had been waiting tables all night? I had $2.00 in singles which would have been a 10% tip and I?m not that cheap. We were so tired at this point that we put down a $5.00 bill (nice 25% tip for the waitress with no singles) and went back to our room.So, now we?re $80.00 into it but too tired to think about it. We lay down to sleep when the ice machine, which was next to our room, kicked on. Not only did it make the usual noises of running its compressor and dropping tons of ice into its innards, it also refilled its tank from a location that sounded to be in our room. This went on all night. Needless to say, I didn?t get the sort of rest I wanted. In the morning, we checked out and were on our way. I could have gotten another room and uprooted my sleeping son and wife but I was too tired to do it.The moral of the story seems to be this: stay at a motel chain ? they usually have a guarantee and any complaints will be addressed. I?m sorry to say that this mom and pop establishment was a huge disappointment.Bill Rose Wayne, PA

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2003

We recently returned home from our daughter's wedding that was held at Preston Woodall House in Benson. Our rehearsal dinner was held at Becky's Log Cabin Restaurant on Friday night. We and our wedding party stayed about 15 minutes away at Becky's Log Cabin Motel in Smithfield.

We say thanks in a big way to Becky's Log Cabin Motel & Restaurant. We enjoyed so much the great food and the quaint atmosphere of the restaurant where we could enjoy our guests as well as live piano music during our dinner. Steaks were delicious. Service was excellent!

Even with all of our excitement with the wedding, we also rested well in the romantic log cabin rooms. We highly recommend these facilities.
Juanita Whitehurst, Pinetops, NC

Been to Becky's Log Cabin Motel? Share your experiences!