“Horrible Customer Service and Cleanliness” 2 of 5 stars

70 Sapphire Valley Road, Sapphire, NC 28774   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sapphire
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta
“Horrible Customer Service and Cleanliness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

We were in town for a wedding, so there was not much to choose from when it came to accomodations. I had called the property manager, Heidi, back in January to book a condo. I specifically asked her for an upscale three BR condo. When I arrived, the front desk clerk was very confused. She didn't know I had previously paid 50% on a deposit, so she chanrged me again. She then took absolutely forever to get the keys and process the credit card. When the agony was finally over, we went across the street to our condo, which was certainly NOT upscale by any stretch of the imagination, nor was it clean. On top of that, they had not provided enough towels, sheets, or proper kitchen supplies. I had to call to ask for them. That also took forever to happen. When I visited another condo on the resort, it was very upscale, which is what I had asked for. I would never stay here again, nor recommend it to anyone. Maybe if they train their staff better and get a new cleaning crew things will get better.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sarasota, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2006

We stayed in an almost new condo that was someone's rental - the place was wonderful. Decorated in hunter green and burgurdy really, really cozy. Hugh bath with spa tub. A one minute walk to the lake to go boating and a wonderful 5 mile trail around the lake, you walk through the woods and even see a waterfall!

• Liked — Mountain View
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cary, illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

First of all we were running late and the confirmation letter stated that if you need to check past 8pm you must make arrangements with the managment company. We called and the stated they were open til 9 pm but that somebody would wait for us because they knew that we were close by. We arrived at the resort at 915pm, after trying to speed up the moutain to get to the resort. Please keep in mind that it is very mountainous and very sharp turns. We show up to find the office closed and find out that security is available all night long to check guests in. If we had been told that then we would of relaxed and not put or family in danger on the curvy roads.

Our air conditioner broke the 2nd day and when we called they told us it would be out of service for the week. The temp that week was 90+. The postive thing is that they moved us to the neighboring unit which was easier for us to transport our belonging with our 1 and 3yr old.

On the confirmation letter it stated that the units had VCR only to arrive and find out that ours had DVD players-Luckly the rec center rented DVD.

There was a terrible storm and their was no way to commuicate with the management company if we in danger of severe weather and they only radio was a clock radio that plugged in. If you stay here you will understand this is not a typical Fairfield Resort-it is very spread out-requiring you to drive to everything and it is not managed by Fairfield. When I complained to the Fairfield sales person-she told me that Fairfield does not see the comment card you leave in your unit when you check out and advised us to attend the brief Fairfield presentation to fill out our comments. We did not want to attend the Fairfield timeshare pitches during this vacation. Fairfield should really take over mangagement of the entire resort. We stayed in Foxhunt. The rec center was nice. This is really a resort for families with older children that can hike and participate in activities.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

We are timeshare owners with Fairfield. When I made my reservations I was not told that we would be at Fox Hunt (Not owned or managed by Fairfield Resorts). We got there just before the management desk closed and were rushed through and given a map to find the property which was about 1 mile away. We found our unit and to our dismay, it was not what we are used to with Fairfield Resorts. One of the toilets would not flush and when we removed the tank we found mold on the wall and discovered the water sprayed on the floor. The dining table top (glass) was dirty with fingerprints and dried food. We tried to call the office and they were closed as was maintenance. The instructions also said that if you needed fresh towels there was a washer and dryer and you could wash them. That is not what Fairfield Resorts do. Also, they provided your initial paper products, soap, etc and if you needed more there was a store in Cashiers, SC about 3 miles away where you could purchase more. This was Saturday night.

Sunday morning we went to Fairfield Resorts at Sapphire Valley (Mountain Laurel) and told the girl at the reservations desk of our problems. We was very nice and found us a unit in the Mountain Laurel area. We moved everything and went to a very clean, nice unit where everything worked. We went back to the other management place and the weren't too interested in our problem.

While we were there we went to the Smokey Mountains National Park, Drove along the Blue Ridge Parkway, had dinner in Gatlinberg, Tenn and just relaxed. It was a very nice week after our initial night.

Morgan Hill, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2005

The one bedroom units are a problem. Either you get a nice unit with big kitchen and LR but a queen bed or you get a dungeon with a mini-kitchen but huge master, king bed and two person jacuzzi. The LR for the dungeon is so small, and upstairs with everything else down a floor in the pit, that when we opened the door it banged into the coffee table. We pushed the table permanently against the sofa and never used the room at all. Fairfield was so cheap it leased space from another project for recreation so we were 2 miles from the pool, tennis, rec bldg, etc. The pool was uninspiring and in need up an update. Only golf was nearby. We were in Fairway Forest. The advertised canoeing was only on weekends after mid-Aug and we did not have good weather on the weekends. The housekeeping was appalling. The bathroom floor had a bunch of spots on it so I tried to clean them off. Turned out they were paint spots from the drunk who painted the unit recently (honest, maintenance told me that all the painters in town are drunks and it certainly showed). When I swiped the floor, I discovered that it was disgusting. My socks were the mop. I called over and the next day housekeeping showed up to clean it. Same with the kitchen floor. The mini-kitchen is so small that you have a half sized dishwasher and oven. The oven has no light. When I baked something it in, I got a burning smell and, using my flashlight, discovered that a previous tenant had had a huge spillover and the maid did not clean it. In fact, after daily calls, it still had not been cleaned a week later when we left. I scraped it out with a spatula. It took two days to get maintenance to repair the oven thermostat. We took a bath in the giant jacuzzi and discovered crud on the bottom we had not seen which grossed us out. Not cleaned either. The kitchen table supposedly sat 4 but it was impossible in the space to pull it out. The unit only sleeps 2. The blanket had the satin nearly torn off and I kept catching my arm in it at night. They are so chintzy with cleaning and paper products that we were given only the toliet paper and paper towels on the roll and 3 dishwashing packets along with a note that the store was 10 miles down the road in Cashiers. Cashiers had little to recommend it - do not eat at the rib joint. Not good. The restaurants that are part of Fairfield charge $5 extra to share a plate so my husband refused to patronize them. The area was great and we enjoyed the mountains but you should find somewhere else to stay. The only good news on the unit is that the kitchen was well outfitted and the mattress was OK. I would not recommend this place to anyone nor would I return. Neighbors to us reported similar problems with their unit also. None of the staff cared at all. I mailed my critique directly to the manager in case the staff burned it!

• Stayed August 2005
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

This resort has two outstanding restaurants on site in The Library and Mica's. The fitness center is very nice with a weightroom, pool, and dry heat room. There are tennis courts, golf, hiking trails, and open fields to play softball or soccer.

The condos are roomy with everything that you would need.

This is a very easy drive from Atlanta being only 2-2.5 hours away up I-85.

Been to Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Sapphire Valley? Share your experiences!