“Ignore the negativity and enjoy” 5 of 5 stars

70 Sapphire Valley Road, Sapphire, NC 28774   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Sapphire
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cumming , Ga.
“Ignore the negativity and enjoy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

When we first arrived we went to the Wyndham desk and found out we had to go across the street to check in at sapphire management. When we got there and checked in they informed us we had to go another 1.7 miles down the road to our condo. Not the miles away another reviewer stated but still a pain. That is where the pain ended though. We arrived at a lovely 2 story condo with 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths. The 2 floors also had large decks overlooking beautiful grounds and a golf course. The units are not brand new by any stretch but everything was spotless and well maintained. The resort is over 700 acres so you need a car to enjoy it all which means having to drive less than 2 miles back to the pool and rec center is no big deal. We love this resort and the area and all of it's charm and lovely people and can't wait to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Canandaigua, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you are a Wyndham owner, you should know the current policy regarding unit assignment is ironclad and boilerplate. If you book to arrive on Friday, then you will not be housed in the Mountain Laurel complex adjacent to the Community and Recreation Centers. A Sunday arrival, however, will likely get you there. The other facilities are miles away from the amenities.

Otherwise, I have nothing but good to say about the many events/opportunities present in the beautiful mountainous area.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Ok, so I have done quite a bit of travelling in my life and have stayed at several Wyndham resort locations. None of my experiences would have prepared me for the dismal stay my husband and I had at this location. First of all it was our honeymoon and We were both stoked for a week long get away at a wydham where we usually experience amazing service and wonderful accomodations.
Our stay began on a bad note. we had to go back and forth to the office 5 times to try and get a room key to the right room. first our key did not work, then the key we recieved welcomed us into a lovely room which was already occupied by a very friendly couple who had checked in the day before. then we had a different room assigned to us and the key did not work 2 more times, finally the front desk clerk said the door needed to be 'unfrozen'. he came to the room and plugged a computer thing into the door, viola it opened. Well in the meantime it had started raining and I slipped and injured my knee and foot, they have slippery wood walkways up to the rooms and no type of grippers on them. Then when the clerk opened the door he left without giving us any keys! oh yeah, he apologized about my slip and said to contact a manager if I was still in pain the next day.
Well I guess he decided that a report did need to be filed so he sent a member of the local police department to our door to take care of this issue. by now it is after dark and we have a coop standing at our door. The officer took the report and contacted the on call person for the resort to get someone to bring us keys. the same clerk brought us the keys and insinuated that I had misplaced the others, as if I was causing him some sort of inconvenience. (mathew was his name by the way)
Well after all that was straightened out we went about our time there with minimal other incidents. However, any other wyndham I have stayed at has gone head over heels to ensure a pleasurable stay, checking in on us asking if there is anything they can do for us, etc. The manager did not even call us to see if I was ok or to apologize for the incident. Well there were several other 'miscommunications' between various people that caused us frustration and irritation. needless to say we will NEVER stay here again. I also have informed several other wynham platinum members to plan vacations elsewhere. the only reason it got a 2 instead of a 1 was because the surroundings were beautiful. Oh and dont pay the resort to take you anywhere if you stay there, it is cheaper and easier to just drive yourself, plus the driver we had sped through the mountains like a madman. he made at least 2 people vomit and at least 4 others extreamly sick to their stomach. I understand he may be used to the area roads but as a shuttle driver he should take into account his passengers. it costs an extra $20 per person to ride the shuttle anywhere.
oh and if your young this is not the hotel for you but there is a lot to do if your into outdoorsy stuff (hiking, rafting, etc), and if your older and want to do more than lounge, the area is probably not the best due to the high amount of very physical activities that are about all there is unless you want to drive several hours each way.

Room Tip: We stayed in a one bedroom mountain laural condo and it was cozy but nice. bring your own firewood f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrollton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We've been coming to Sapphire Valley since the late 70's, when the kids were still at home. We've had various relatives join us over the years & always have a fun, relaxing time. We like to visit the little towns, Cashiers, Highlands, Brevard & even Bat Cave, A trip to Ashville & the Biltmoe is always fun. We've never been here in the winter, but have enjoyed the other seasons, staying in at least a 2 BR Fairfield or Wynndam unit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

The Mountain Laurel Condo I stayed in was only a short walk to the recreation center-a great location for a family with kids. The resort requires a car but has everything within a short drive: a lovely lake with rowboat rentals, an executive golf course and a fine championship course. An excellent Ingles supermarket is a 5 minute drive. The county is no longer dry so wines are available at the market. The Gamekeeper's Tavern is also a 5 minute drive and offers a very unusual menu consisting of Kangeroo, Elk, Venison, Sushi and the usual beef dishes. The area is known for hiking and waterfalls-Highlands is half an hour away with it's excellent Main street. A very nice getawayindeed!

Room Tip: Try to get a condo close to the recreation center (Mountain Laurel lock-off-the A side is one level...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from an anniversary getaway. We stayed in the one bedroom condo, which could use some upgrading (the decor and furniture) but everything was very clean and in good condition. The bad thing about the condo: the walls are thin, we could hear our neighbors talking and their t.v. playing.

The area was beautiful. There isn't much to do besides from visiting water falls, golf, outdoor activities, etc. This wasn't a problem for us because we wanted time to relax. We ate at a restaurant named On The Veranda, which was about 15 min. drive. We cooked the rest of the nights. There is an Ingles about 5mins away. The county is no longer a dry county, the Ingels had a nice wine section.

I would stay again if I was looking to relax. I wouldn't recommend for young people, it's more for an older crowd. I'm in my mid 30's and it was ok for me but I knew beforehand that I just wanted a place to relax.

• Stayed June 2012
Catawba, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

This is my own personal experience that in no way should deter someone from staying here but what I have to say is not positive. My family and I had planned to stay at this resort courtesy of my mother in law who allowed us the condo and we were planning to stay from Friday to Monday. Since it was just 4 of us that were staying we took one vehicle. That vehicle unfortunately broke down as soon as we turned into the public safety office parking lot. We were arriving late so we had to pick up our keys there as the front desk closes early. There was an officer on duty who was absolutely wonderful and unfortunately I did not get his name. I would love to send him a thank you card for being basically the only person in this resort who would help us. He drove us to the condo and said that if we called the next morning that we could get someone to take us to the grocery store to buy groceries(we did not have time to shop before we arrived at the condo). Next morning, we call the safety office to get someone to take my husband to the Napa store in Cashiers to be able to buy some transmission fluid because we thought that maybe that was what was causing our car not to work. One officer, an older man, took my husband to Napa but made it clear to him that he would not be driving back and forth for anything and that this trip was it. So, after my husband was returned to the parking lot he tried to work on the car which NO ONE offered to help him with. He was alone as me,my mom, and my cousin were stuck at the condo. We were 2 miles away from the public safety office and my cousin had unknowingly broke her foot about 30 minutes before we left our hometown so we were unable to leave. My husband had someone drive him back to the condo where he tells us the car is still not working. Having no food and no way of getting to a grocery store, we decide to walk to the Sapphire Mountain Brewing Co restaurant which fortunately for us was only about 5 min away from our condo. We ordered our food and walked back up to the condo. We ordered pizza which was very delicious. Probably the highlight of the trip. Since we would need more food for at least that evening and probably the next morning, the front desk lady, Kathleen, tried to get someone to get groceries for us but none of the staff in that office were willing so she had to go herself. She wouldn't allow one of us to ride with her because she said it was a liability so she went for us. We gave her the grocery list which she said had to be minimal and the money. About 30 min later we got our groceries. I also forgot to mention that the resort would not let us rent a golf cart to be able to carry my cousin in to be able to go to the restaurant so that we could eat together. Anyway, my dad and brother were going to come up the next day to pick us up and try to get the busted car back home. So, this morning(Sunday) my dad and brother picked us up and carried us to the public safety office to try to get the car onto a tow dolly to take all the way back home to Rock Hill, SC. We were 3 1/2 hours away from home. The whole weekend there apparently were no U Hauls open or rental car places open and the only mechanic in the town was not open as well. So, as my family was trying their hardest to put this car on the dolly, the older man that gave a ride to my husband the day before walks out on the porch of the office and watches us I would say at least 30 min. Didn't offer to help but just watched us. Probably after 40 minutes he comes out with car jacks. About time! Needless to say those didn't work and we had to call a tow to come put the car on the dolly for us. He was about 30 minutes away.

We're back home now, finally, but the reason I'm giving this resort a bad review is not because the resort is a horrible place. I'm sure it's lovely.....if I had gotten the chance to see it! No, I'm giving it a bad review because of the lazy, uncaring folks that we ran into that didn't seem to want to help us. No, by the hand of God. He is the only reason we made it home.

I'm sure this place is great but if you get stranded don't count on anyone helping.

Room Tip: Try to get a condo that's closer to the amenities. We were too far away from everything and you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Sapphire Valley? Share your experiences!