“Horrible Experience” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Catawba, South Carolina
“Horrible Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

This is my own personal experience that in no way should deter someone from staying here but what I have to say is not positive. My family and I had planned to stay at this resort courtesy of my mother in law who allowed us the condo and we were planning to stay from Friday to Monday. Since it was just 4 of us that were staying we took one vehicle. That vehicle unfortunately broke down as soon as we turned into the public safety office parking lot. We were arriving late so we had to pick up our keys there as the front desk closes early. There was an officer on duty who was absolutely wonderful and unfortunately I did not get his name. I would love to send him a thank you card for being basically the only person in this resort who would help us. He drove us to the condo and said that if we called the next morning that we could get someone to take us to the grocery store to buy groceries(we did not have time to shop before we arrived at the condo). Next morning, we call the safety office to get someone to take my husband to the Napa store in Cashiers to be able to buy some transmission fluid because we thought that maybe that was what was causing our car not to work. One officer, an older man, took my husband to Napa but made it clear to him that he would not be driving back and forth for anything and that this trip was it. So, after my husband was returned to the parking lot he tried to work on the car which NO ONE offered to help him with. He was alone as me,my mom, and my cousin were stuck at the condo. We were 2 miles away from the public safety office and my cousin had unknowingly broke her foot about 30 minutes before we left our hometown so we were unable to leave. My husband had someone drive him back to the condo where he tells us the car is still not working. Having no food and no way of getting to a grocery store, we decide to walk to the Sapphire Mountain Brewing Co restaurant which fortunately for us was only about 5 min away from our condo. We ordered our food and walked back up to the condo. We ordered pizza which was very delicious. Probably the highlight of the trip. Since we would need more food for at least that evening and probably the next morning, the front desk lady, Kathleen, tried to get someone to get groceries for us but none of the staff in that office were willing so she had to go herself. She wouldn't allow one of us to ride with her because she said it was a liability so she went for us. We gave her the grocery list which she said had to be minimal and the money. About 30 min later we got our groceries. I also forgot to mention that the resort would not let us rent a golf cart to be able to carry my cousin in to be able to go to the restaurant so that we could eat together. Anyway, my dad and brother were going to come up the next day to pick us up and try to get the busted car back home. So, this morning(Sunday) my dad and brother picked us up and carried us to the public safety office to try to get the car onto a tow dolly to take all the way back home to Rock Hill, SC. We were 3 1/2 hours away from home. The whole weekend there apparently were no U Hauls open or rental car places open and the only mechanic in the town was not open as well. So, as my family was trying their hardest to put this car on the dolly, the older man that gave a ride to my husband the day before walks out on the porch of the office and watches us I would say at least 30 min. Didn't offer to help but just watched us. Probably after 40 minutes he comes out with car jacks. About time! Needless to say those didn't work and we had to call a tow to come put the car on the dolly for us. He was about 30 minutes away.

We're back home now, finally, but the reason I'm giving this resort a bad review is not because the resort is a horrible place. I'm sure it's lovely.....if I had gotten the chance to see it! No, I'm giving it a bad review because of the lazy, uncaring folks that we ran into that didn't seem to want to help us. No, by the hand of God. He is the only reason we made it home.

I'm sure this place is great but if you get stranded don't count on anyone helping.

Room Tip: Try to get a condo that's closer to the amenities. We were too far away from everything and you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

On the golf course with lots of outdoor activities. We have visited in the winter
and skied, snowboarded. We panned for rubies in the creek nearby. Visited the Baltimore House in Asheville.
Lots to do nearby.

• Stayed October 2011
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed in a Foxhunt unit on the little lake. It is such a beautiful location. Over the past two years we have taken the tour bus trips to local scenic spots, but this year we only went on the Pisgah Forest trip to the Blue Ridge - a must do trip because it is always different due to the weather. The rest of the time we went to every water fall and trail we could find. Maps are provided that tell you how challenging the hikes are and the people behind the desk and bus drivers are very helpful for the really local spots. We walked around Fairfield Lake and came across a patch of Ladyslippers. What a delight. And be sure to ride the horses at Whitewater Equestrian! We will be back next year to do all the things we did not have time to do this year.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
South Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Wife and I booked a week at this time share to relax for awhile. What a pleasant surprise as a base for looking at beautiful scenery and waterfalls, it couldn't have been better. What a surprise to have (2) great restaurants on site (Mika's has great food ranging from pizza to pasta) and the little restaurant on site had the best crab (yes, crab) I have eaten in quite awhile. The recreation center had great indoor pools to relax and extensive gym to work out. Nice game room for kids (or kids at heart). The one bedroom condo we rented was nice and well furnished. You will either end up with a jacuzzi tub or fireplace depending on where they put you. I give alot of credit for the Monday orientation they hold where it isn't a time share sales pitch but they actually give you suggestions on what to do while you are there and answer questions. Was really nice with a large grocery store only 3 miles away to stock up and even cook your own meals if you want. We will be back as this time of year was very uncrowded and the people there are fantastic. Only reason I didn't rate as 4 stars as the door between the upper and lower condos is not soundproof and you can here the other people in the rentals whenever they are watching TV or doing dishes.

Room Tip: Check rates from various sites as they lower the closer to the date of the reservation
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Pinehurst, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

...and practice your downshifting. As one should suspect, mountain roads tend to be curvy and Sapphire Valley is no exception. Don't let this stop you. We have stayed in a number of facilities here over the last six or seven years. Admittedly, some of the smaller units have weird configurations, but one shouldn't be staying here if all you want to do is enjoy the comforts of your unit. There are so many outdoor activities to enjoy! We especially like the walk to the top of Whiteside Mountain and we have looked in wonder at many of the area's waterfalls (some of which are a tough walk to get to). In years past, we have enjoyed the Sapphire National Golf Club. It usually eats my lunch but the setting is so gorgeous you tend to forget how poorly you scored. This year, while nursing a bad back, we played the little Red Robin executive course four or five times and it is fun as well.

We started going to Sapphire Valley because it was the closest time share to Brevard, NC which hosts a fantastic young peoples' music camp every summer. We have continued to participate. The camp performances alone are reason enough to visit. Other years we have driven to the nearby town of Highland to a regional professional play house. We have also had kids and grandkids who enjoyed the "sliding rock" just outside of Cashiers. Finally, this past summer, we rented a pontoon boat and sailed all over Lake Glenville. Is this a great country or what! I am already steamed up about going next summer!

Room Tip: If you are trading weeks make sure you tell them there are five people so you can be sure of getting...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

First and foremost. Buy a map and use it. Your GPS will lead you in circles. The Sapphire Area is nestled among never ending breath taking views. The roads in and out of the area are truly long and winding county mountain roads. If you own a roadster automobile take it with you. There is no short way to Sapphire and nothing outside of the immediate resort area is close. It is 90+ minutes of awesome fun-filled driving to everything outside the immediate area. The resort is a compilation of several older resort properties with only a small section of units is owned and maintained by Wyndham hence the mixed reviews by other travelers. We had a two bedroom unit in the Laurels. The units in this section are older circa 1985. Our unit was well mainteined and was very spacious. it was nicely decorated and the decks were of a good size with excellent views. The units was equipped with all the standard household items a time share trader should expect. All in all a very nice unit. The resort is older and several of the facilities in need of updating. Nothing that should ruin a vacation.

The staff was marginally helpful with the exception of the fellows at the resort's boathouse. They were awesome and quite a pleasure. Spend a day at the lake it is very relaxing and enjoyable.

The county is a dry county. Pack you own adult beverages unless you have a large check book or don't mind driving 45 minutes to an ABC store.

The golfing was excellent. Priced right and an excellent value with some georgeous, well maintained courses. Several within a 20 minute drive.

We traveled with our 11 and 13 year old daughters. They had a great time. They never ran out of things to do.

Recommend: (1) the NOC (NOC.com) for white water rafting. They were excellent and reasonably priced. A great family time. (2) EarthShine near lake Toxaway for zip-lining. The staffs of both those companies could not have been more friendly, helpful, or courteous.

The waterfalls are magnificent. Take your camera, I suggest a waterproof one. Use the map and directions from the boathouse. They are dead on target. Be prepared to walk/hike but they views are worth it. Pack lunch and go for a walk.

We will not hestitate to go back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011 via mobile

We had a bad experience with staff member Phillip. He didn't seem like he wanted to talk to guests let alone answer general inquiries regarding the town. The condos are clean but extremely outdated. The floors sqeek as you walk and the sheets have those hard balls on them- the ones that appear from washing sheets too many times.

The place is ok. I will never be back.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Sapphire Valley? Share your experiences!