“This pig died gently” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“This pig died gently”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Nice people. Tenderest pork I ever had. Best sides to boot (grits and sophisticated baked beans). Finished with chocolate pecan pie. I too shall die gently. Like the pig.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“Not as expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We looked forward to this after a day of touring Raliegh, it was out of our way but we anticipated a real " experience". We were there ealy (5:00 p.m.), the place was empty, and we got very attentive service. The ribs for my S.O. were good but had a heavy coat of dry rub under the sauce, in places. I had the Hickory smoked pulled pork and I can HONESTLY say that it was the driest and least tflovorful of ANY that I have EVER eaten. I gave some to my S.O. in exchange for a taste of her 5 Hour Smoked beef ribs and left 1/2 of the rest on my plate. The maitre'D took my plate with nary a question or inquiry as to my dining experience so to say the least we will never go back or recommend anything about the place.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lillington, North Carolina
“Didn't meet expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had high expectations for this restaurant, but the food was just okay. I had to use steak sauce on my steak, which I almost never do, to help mask the very strong smoke taste. The baked beans also had a smoky flavor that I did not prefer. I like mine a little sweet. The side of parmesan grits were bland. My husband said his pulled pork bbq and slaw were just okay. I like that they use some local ingredients (e.g., Yarbrough's ice cream, Thomas' Butcher meat, etc.). Atmosphere was nice, and the servers were friendly--although somewhat slow. Based on its reputation, I had higher hopes, and I'm truly sad The Steele Pig did not live up to them. I had hoped it would become a favorite, but I don't think we'll be back.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sanford, North Carolina
“Our new favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

After recently relocating to Sanford we listened to our fellow tripadvisors and tried out the Steele Pig. Thank you! We took our family (from out of town) here twice already and have been impressed with the service and the food both times. The blackened pork chop, smoky meaty pasta, and the shrimp and grits all rec'd rave reviews from myself and our guests. My daughter loves the biscuits and honey especially! They do not have a childrens menu but will make a small plate for children. Be sure to make a reservation (especially on the weekends). We'll be back!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sanford, North Carolina
“Birthday dinner- everything was just right!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We arrived a bit after 5:30 on a Wednesday. We were the first guests seated and we did not have a reservation. Our server was friendly without seeming "fake."

Our drinks were served quickly. The wine was excellent, even with being poured to about a half-inch from the rim of the glass.
Our appetizer of pork dumplings with a dipping sauce was very good. My caesar salad was light on the dressing, but the lettuce was clean and croutons crunchy.
Dinner was good for all of us. Son had a sandwich made to order- a BLT without the T and fries. He was pleased with the entire plate. The fries were GREAT. Hubby had a pulled pork dish which was pretty good. His fried okra- the highlight. Whole fried okra. The breading was cornmeal and simply fantastic. He shared it with me but I'm not sure I'd really want to give one up!!! I'd go back just for those.
My smoked chicken was ok. The white meat was really dry, I'm sorry to say. The thigh and leg were quite yummy. Thank goodness sauces were provided or I would not have been able to get the white meat down. I actually liked the balsamic ketchup with the chicken. It was not overly sweet. The veggie saute was not good at all. It had some zucchini, yellow squash, onions, peppers, and corn in it. Nothing was seasoned. I added salt and pepper and only liked the squashes. The roasted new potatoes were good because I love potatoes, but there was no seasoning on them.
Dessert was offered. Our server brought out a tray of beautiful creations, but we were all happily full.
Overall, this evening was just right. The music was blues-y, our dining area was clean, and our server seemed experienced. That okra rocked!

We will be back.