“An Unexpected Surprise & Delight” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rowan Oak House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salisbury
Rowan Oak House Bed and Breakfast
You added Rowan Oak House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
208 South Fulton Street, Salisbury, NC 28144   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“An Unexpected Surprise & Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I've stayed in several b&b's in the U.S. & a couple in the U.K.! Little did I know that there was a gem in Salisbury, NC....where I was born! Rowan Oak is immaculate & beautifully appointed! Rooms & private bathrooms are large & comfortable! The hosts are warm & inviting! Breakfast delicious! I will admit that I could have stayed on the large wrap-around porch the whole weekend, but then I would have missed everything else! I highly recommend this B&B!!!!

Dawn F
Winston-Salem, NC

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Wilson, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the Rowan Oak House while attending a wedding in the area. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by Barbara and Les Coombs, the owners. Their home is beautiful and we were treated like family. Our room was perfect, very comfortable accommodations. The breakfasts we enoyed were outstanding. My favorite was the fruit compote (Baraba was kind enough to give me the recipe.) A good time was enjoyed with friends on the porch and made us feel like we had returned to a simpler time. An especially memorable send off was provided by Barbara and one of the guests singing some WWII vintage songs. My husband and I look forward to returning to visit "our friends" at the Rowan Oak House.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

A family wedding brought us to this most wonderful place. Family came in from many different locations so we booked the whole B and B. The beauty of the home is only complemented by the hosts. They make you feel you have come home. Weddings can be such a hectic time. The B and B gave us time to rest and spend quality time with our loved ones. Sitting on the magnicient front porch with a glass of wine takes you back into a simpler time. Eating a wonderful breakfast by candle light was a special treat. If you have the opportunity to visit Salisbury treat yourself to a couple of nights at Rowan Oak House.

Room Tip: Every room is different and great. If you can't handle stairs there is a beautiful room on the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Spent a lovely weekend at the Rowan Oak House Bed and Breakfast for our anniversary. The home is immaculately restored and period. The hosts are delightful and tremendously helpful in planning excursions. The B&B is in the heart of the historic district and is in walking of distance of lots of shops and restaurants. We definitely will return. Sam & Sarah

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lee, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My spouse and I were married in Salisbury in August of this year. In advance she chose the Rowan Oak House as a place to stay on our wedding night based upon the sheer beauty of the property. It is, indeed, beautiful: historic, lovingly restored. However, the husband and wife owners just did not seem to get it in terms of creating a hospitable atmosphere. Particularly clueless was Barbara whose behavior towards us during our stay ranged from indifferent to crass and offensive.
We arrived very late in the evening after our wedding reception. Les let us in and was very friendly saying that we should not worry about getting up for breakfast ... as it was our wedding night we could eat whenever we got up. Well apparently his wife didn't get the memo. My wife was feeling very poorly the next day and did not get up until quite late. There was no offer of anything to eat from Barbara. Finally, as my wife was feeling quite shaky I had to ask Barbara if she (my wife) could have a snack. Barbara went to the kitchen and emerged with a pathetic little saucer with a couple of small slices of salami and a few cheese cubes. So, for the first night the "Bed and Breakfast" was just "Bed".
We had booked for two nights and the second night we went out onto the lovely porch and I read to my wife (she is legally blind) well into the evening. When we went back in we discovered that the toilet had been running since I used it an hour or two before and a couple of inches of water had soaked everything in the bathroom and had leached into the carpet of the bedroom. I had no choice but to buzz the owners; Barbara came down in a foul mood and mopped up the water and fixed the toilet. I apologized for getting her out of bed, but she nonetheless took the time to make it clear that the overflow was our fault.
We wanted to make sure we did not miss breakfast again. We got up in the morning to one of the shabbiest excuses for a breakfast I have ever seen. B&Bs usually take their breakfasts very seriously ... this was pathetic: A spoonful of cold scrambled eggs, a couple of small slices of canned, cooked ham, and mini-bagels from out of the freezer -- not toasted, not fresh. We got one cup of coffee and one small glass of orange juice -- no pitcher or carafe on the table to refill from if we wanted. Barbara seemingly couldn't wait to take our plates away. We actually asked her for more coffee and OJ and she made a great show of her generosity in actually going and getting us some. Then she decided that she would join us. She came in, actually grabbed one if the two bagel halves on the plate, sat down and started to eat it. She then launched into a narcissistic diatribe about how hard it is to run a B&B and about how much various people like her place, sprinkling it with insulting comments about a number of past guests. We asked her a few questions, largely to be polite, and her responses dripped with condescension. The coup de grace came when she wanted to take my wife's plate away: "Girl, are you done with that?" My wife (who is black) was too shocked to speak ... neither she nor I could believe what we heard. She did not seem like the type of person for whom it would do much go to call her on that racist and offensive query, so we just left the dining as soon as we could and got ready to leave. Later in the day, long after we had left the place for good, I realize that I had left behind the book I was reading to my wife. I called back and Barbara told me that it had "already gone in the garbage" and then began berating me for the condition in which we left the room.
Based on these negative experiences I had planned to write a negative review when I got home but, as so often happens, the intentions faded away in the business of everyday life. But just today (October 15, 2012) a charge appeared on my credit card for $125 from the Rowan Oak House. The room charges had been paid in full back in August, so I called Barbara to ask about this new charge put on more than two months later. She informed me that it was a charge for the extra work they had to do in cleaning the room after we left. So not only is Barbara ok with ruining your stay with her, she will use your card number to charge you -- without your consent and without even informing you -- months after your stay. To my way of thinking, this is incredibly unethical behavior. And, not incidentally, when complaining to me over the phone about the condition of the room she said "that's par for the course". Since she had never met us before our stay, and given her behavior earlier, it is not hared to imagine for whom she thinks that these problems are "par for the course".

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern Pines, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Went to salisbury for anual house tour...stayed 2 nights....Beautiful Inn..1911,I believe.Deligtful and entertaining husband and wife hosts. The Inn was more impressive than all but one of the Historic homes visited.Best b&b we have stumbled into and we've stumbled into many...Anyway when I told our hostess what we thought she asked me if I would write this review...my first ever.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Suffolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My parents arrived here late at night for the 3rd time and said their experience was so personally accommodating it was like safely arriving at a favorite relative's beautiful home: gracious hosts, a good night's sleep on a comfortable bed, and a great meal in the morning!

Room Tip: The Garden Room has a low bed that is very accessible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rowan Oak House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!