“Worst Accommodation Experience EVER!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Mercure Chalet Mt Buller

You added Grand Mercure Chalet Mt Buller to your Saves list
Grand Mercure Chalet Mt Buller
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   207 Summit Road, Mount Buller, Victoria 3723, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mount Buller
Melbourne, Australia
“Worst Accommodation Experience EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Mercure Chalet in Mt Buller on the opening weekend of the Snow Season. Accor had a great deal for $130 per night. We have of course pre-paid this via Credit Card.
Upon arriving to Mt Buller, Hotel was fairly easy to spot after asking the Information Center where it was. Check-in was nice and easy and our room was ready straight away. So excited to hit the sloops, we left our bags in the room, got dressed in our snow gear and left. First glance and impression was, room was nice and large. We did receive a room on Summit Rd view on the ground floor however our booking itinerary clearly stated a room on the Bourke Street Ski Run view. Our bed was supposed to be a King Bed, well it was two singles put together, that does not make it a King Bed.
After our run around the mountain, we got back to the room to get changed again and went out for Dinner and Drinks. We did not arrive back to the Hotel until 11PM. It was then that i noticed the dirty conditions that awaited us.
Coming back to the room, I wanted to go straight to sleep, I went to left up the doona to get into bed and I realised I only lifted up a bed sheet with the doona exposed underneath it, no doona cover!!!! just two bed sheets on either side of it. The doona was covered in yellow marks (what looked and smelt like piss). I was dry reaching at this point. I threw the doona off the bed and grabbed the blankets from the cupboard.
When I lay in bed i could smell this disgusting stench of vomit/piss combined. I threw the pillows off and eventually fell asleep with all clothes on, one blanket and no pillow. As soon as we woke up the next morning, we quickly packed up, i reviewed the hotel with the hotel experience card by the phone and checked out. Upon check out we were first asked about our stay. I told them the whole story about the doona cover not being on the doona and that it smelt disgusting. She offered to me to write my experience down on a blank sheet of A4 paper. I said i had already wrote it down in the room. After this, she went to charge us $279 for the remainder of the hotel room charge. In the nights experience that i had already i was furious!! I advised that i had paid in full the room charge and there was nothing else to be charged. She called for her manager to assist in the matter. When the manager called us to talk, she asked why we didnt notify the staff of the room matter. I simply advised that i didnt not have time to inspect the room and its not my job

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

MtBullerChalet, General Manager at Grand Mercure Chalet Mt Buller, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Minela86,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Grand Mercure Mt Buller Chalet. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further, if you could please email me on renae.kennedy@mtbullerchalet.com.au.

Renae Kennedy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The room was very clean and spacious. Wasn't overly happy with the shower over the bath and the quality of the shower fittings but the water pressure was excellent. The bed (king) was comfortable but I struggled to sleep well with a pillow that kept going flat - for some reason hotel pillows are abysmal (not just here), I am planning to start travelling with my own pillow where possible. We travelled in the off snow season, and although alot of places are closed Mt Buller is a spectacular place to visit without snow, offering spectacular views and great walks. The Chalet rooms offer great views, and the facilities, gym, spa, pool, restaurant, bar are excellent, albeit slightly dated. Staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jag22_7,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Grand Mercure Mt Buller Chalet. It is very important for us to receive feedback from our guests so that we can continually improve our service.

St Leonards, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We booked a premium, room paying extra for a valley view & received a room with a view of the scaffolding, a tree and road. When we questioned the room we were given a choice - a smaller room with the view or the larger room with no view. We choose the view but didn't receive a refund, free drink or any compensation. Even when suggested!
Where has staff initative to keep customers happy gone?
All the staff were apparently new for the upcoming ski season and had no idea about hotel chain policy/benefits.
The chef had not even read the menu - meals were served with different accompaniments and garnishes - an issue when allergies matter!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mrscatmother,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Grand Mercure Mt Buller Chalet. I apologise that your stay did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

It concerned me when reading your review that the team did not contact you in advance in regards to our maintenance work or assist you with your inconvenience during your stay. The starting of winter should have no impact on your stay, please allow me to express my sincere apologies

We appreciate your feedback it is very important to us.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Fantastic stay, the room was good with views, the breakfast and dinner was also good. It's a good time of the year to go to Buller, no snow put very peaceful. The weather was perfect for a break and the staff good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Grand Mercure Mt Buller Chalet. It is always a pleasure for us to receive positive feedback.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed here overnight in April. Room was dated and tired. Bed was rock hard. Saving grace was linen doona and pillows. bathroom needed a regrout to get rid of mould. Great gym set up but pool was cold and smelled bad. One steam room working one out of action. Both saunas not working and spa out of action. Restaurant advertised fine dining. Definitely fine dining prices but definitely not fine dining quality. Ordered blue eye with herb crust. Fish dry and overcooked herb crust soft and uncooked. Rocket salad had no dressing had to ask for some. Bread tasted stale and half warmed through even though to was supposed to have been baked that morning. Breakfast was much better indeed good. They have the market cornered for this time of the year but no excuse for an establishment with four stars. My experience was not four star.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Flemmo313,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Grand Mercure Mt Buller Chalet. I apologise that your stay did not meet your expectations on this occasion - please allow me to express my sincere apologies. At Grand Mercure, we strive to provide a superior level of service, therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Since your stay we have completed a small amount of maintenance/refurbishment, with the endeavour to continue over the coming year.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Lovely chalet on the top of the mountain, still going strong. Lovely view over the valley from some rooms,however we have stayed in the room on the other side which was also lovely, very big and comfortable, clean and cosy. The only downside was bed which was really hard so I have to put some additional blankets on the matters to make it a bit softer and more bearable. This can be a real problem for somebody with back problems ( as myself ) so I was a bit miserable in the morning but didn't complain as we were only staying 1 night. Buffet breakfast was $27 which we thought was overpriced and was nothing special, just ok. It would be much cheaper buying food from the nearby grocery shop if we have stayed longer. All restaurants on the mountain were closed due to low season so you didn't have much choice apart from dining at the hotel restaurant or coffee shop. There is a lot of building work going on at the moment so car parking was limited. Otherwise nice property, a bit dated and rooms crying out for refurbishment but in general cosy place with a lot of character. Very quiet, great for walks and just sitting around, doing nothing but relaxing. But if you are young and want plenty of action you wold be probably disappointed at this time of the year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ZdenkaAussie25,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Grand Mercure Mt Buller Chalet. It is very important for us to receive feedback from our guests so that we can continually improve our service.

Echuca, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Had a really good stay at the Grand Mercure, only one problem was that a movie I wanted to watch did not come on when advertised. Oh well, still had a really good stay and would definitely stay again. Receptionist was excellent, breakfast was good. Would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

MtBullerChalet, General Manager at Grand Mercure Chalet Mt Buller, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Noddy068,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Grand Mercure Mt Buller Chalet. It is always a pleasure for us to receive positive feedback.

On occasions we do have some technical issues that are unavoidable in a regional location, we do endeavour to fix them as soon as possible.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Renae Kennedy

Been to Grand Mercure Chalet Mt Buller? Share your experiences!