“Almost Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States
“Almost Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I discovered Rutherford Thai today while just cruising Rutherfordton for anyplace OPEN to have lunch on a Sunday afternoon. I love cozy little mom & pop shops so I immediately felt comfortable and liked the simple atmosphere.
The young waitress named Jullie-Ann was cheerful and really knew the menu backwards and forwards, which was a good thing, because the menu itself was a 12 page novella mixed with 4 pages of entree offerings, appetizers scattered across 3 pages with some of the entree pages inbetween, and was on the whole an unreadable mess. With entree prices ranging from $9 - $15, my first thought wass that they were a bit high, especially for lunch. But when I got my food (about 5min wait) I forgot all about the price.
Plate presentation was simple but beautiful. The veggies were obviously fresh and cooked to perfection. The dish which I cannot remember the name of included a lot of cashews, was pretty mild as far as spice goes, and was delicious from first bite to last.
The only disappointment was the custard I orders for desert. They obviously had preportioned then frozen it to be warmed up later. Themicrowave however left it too hot around the edges, and ice cold in the center. When I didn't finish it, the waitress was concerned and askedme why. Evidently she relayed my observations to the cook (who I assume was also the owner) who then came out to appologize, and offered to take it off my tab. The owner was all smiles and very friendly.
I have family in the area so I have good excuse to come back, and look forward to eating there again!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Each Dish a Work of Art”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

You can just tell the food here is prepared by a chef who has a genuine passion for food and its preparation and presentation. The ingredients were incredibly fresh and full of flavor. This is the first time I've ever had Thai tea and now I crave it. We had the garden rolls as an appetizer and never have I seen a more beautiful dish. It was like a flavor explosion in our mouths. I had the pad thai and my husband had the crispy duck. We made yummy sounds throughout the entire meal. Before we left the owner came out and thanked us for coming in. I said we were the ones who owed her a big thank you. We live 800 miles away but will find a reason to revisit Rutherfordton again so we can go back to this outstanding restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, NC
“Excellent Thai food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Rutherford Thai is a small mom-and-pop place downtown. I ate there in a group of six diverse people, and we all greatly enjoyed our food. Almost all of us ordered something different. The food is cooked to order, which accounts for its high quality. The waitress was very helpful in guiding us toward the spiciness - or lack of it - in the various dishes.
The only glitch was that not everyone's food arrived at the same time, but the quality of the food atoned for that. We will definitely be back.

• Visited June 2013