“the court (not main inn) is budget & functional, but not the best of barossa” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nuriootpa Vine Inn

You added Nuriootpa Vine Inn to your Saves list
Nuriootpa Vine Inn
14 Murray Street | PO Box 32, Nuriootpa, South Australia 5355, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nuriootpa
Australia
“the court (not main inn) is budget & functional, but not the best of barossa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We were in town one night for a business function at the Vine Inn, and stayed at the facility's Vine Court about 2 min down the main street. The function went well, and was well appointed, and all staff were very helpful (from the function to reception to the bottleshop guy who helped with heaps of directions). But I reckon we should have stayed in the main Inn. Not just for convenience, but probably for a better deal for the money. Maybe $40 or so more would have meant a better room? The Court was very affordable, but our particular room was extremely out dated. We had trouble finding it at first (although this isn't a bad thing - it's not directly facing the main road so it's more quiet than expected), and upon arrival there were a few tradies hanging around in front of their room drinking. Not to judge a book by its cover, but I worried we were in for a noisy night, and as a woman I never like to see drinking guys loitering near where I'll be sleeping...I wondered why reception gave us the room right next to them - or anyone, when clearly there were plenty of other rooms available. Maybe that's just where all the budget rooms were in the complex? Turns out the guys were absolutely NO problem whatsoever, were quiet and kept to themselves. Anyway, the room was very 'old school' - straight from the late '70s in decor (except for the flat screen tv), and very tired looking. It was dark, and somewhat depressing. But everything worked fine, the shower was clean - no shampoo though, so we had to rush out to the supermarket for supplies. Husband didn't sleep well but I thought the bed was fine. As a one night business trip, it did its job and we have nothing that we'd complain about to our bosses. But I wouldn't want to be there on holiday, unless you plan on spending lots of time out of the room and just want to crash there to sleep. (I had a similar experience elsewhere in the Barossa - maybe beware of anything too 'budget' in the region if you're looking for a modern aspect). I did hear that other rooms in the Court were like apartments and much more modern, and still modestly priced. That, or the main Inn might be a better choice if you are there for longer. All up it was totally functional and fine. But a small bit of work could probably make a huge difference.

Room Tip: Try for the more modern apartments
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at Nuriootpa Vine Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear Alice In Downunder,

I recalled your review of last year and am now happy to positively respond to your review and advise that we agreed with your observations relative to our Vine Court rooms.

Your review assisted us in making the decision to totally refurbish all of our standard apartments at that location.

Should you return to stay with us now you will find all new carpets, cabinetry, lighting, paintwork (yes we did cover up all the old red brick walls) bathrooms and TV's.We have fitted all new pillow tops liners on all of our beds, replaced all of our pillows and have gotten rid of all the old fashioned bedspreads. Additionaly, the area now has free WiFi for houseguests use. While we expended some $250,000 on these works, we have not amended our tariff and will not do so until March of 2013.

When you come to see us again you won't recognise the old place!

Thanks again for offering us your objective and accurate feedback.

Best regards,

Chris Linden
Vine Inn Barossa
Vine Court Barossa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

I felt I had to write this review as past ones have unfairly rated this room. Yes this is a matter of each individual's opinion but I have stayed in so called " 4 star city hotels" who haven't had as good a set up as the vine inn. Yes it has everything you need iron board, kettle, tea and coffee, tv, bath and shower but it does not suggest anywhere in it's website that it offers all the mod cons. I felt nervous about staying in the vine inn because of the other reviews and I found them to be unjustfiable. This hotel has everything you need and does it at a great rate. I'm not sure of the other peoples expectations but could not find anything on the Internet to suggest the hotel was offering anything different to what it offered us. And to open your curtains to look striggt out at a vineyard was the best view I've ever had from a hotel room. We enjoyed our stay and will be back...

• Stayed December 2010
Roma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

The room (37) was sold as a king spa room with a price to match. Upon arrival I was greeted with slow service. Then after registering given a key and told I was in the Vine Court down the road.
The room was to be self contained with spa bath air conditioning king bed. The air con was in the lounge area so the bedroom was separated by a fibro thin wall. The TV was also in the lounge area. No airconditioning or TV in the bedroom.
I was told to "go to Betta Electrical to buy an aerial extension and attach it" myself.
The self contained unit has two small cooking elements and no washing machine or dryer.
The spa bath would of been a tight fit for a 12-14 year old child never alone trying to get out.

Another room was offered at a different rate and had mismatching furniture and was out of the 70's catalogue with raw dark brick, kitchenette without stove, Fluorescent green twill carpet complete with at least 6 cigarette burns and dark floral curtain & upholstery fantasies. The shower was separate to the W.C.both small but I was told I had to change rooms in the morning but a further room was available. This one stunk of cigarettes and could not be re-cleaned till the morning.

The morning came around and a loud bash on the door from the Housekeeper and said " are you moving or not ?"
" If so you've got 10 minutes I'm busy" this was approximately 10:00am.

When I enquired for a key after moving "you have to go down the road and get it yourself, nobody told me to bring one"
This was also a child/animal danger with the heavy steel grate to a deep drain removed near the entrance of the driveway.

This property does not live up to it's advertising or representations.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

The Vine Inn sits proudly on Murray Street, the large facade and palms giving the impression of understated style.

I wish! What lays behind is a mish-mash of bars, a bistro, a pool, a motel, a pokies den. There is no focus, and therefore no cohesion and no sense of being anywhere other than a second rate motel with a few extras whacked on to make it sound OK over the internet.

Our room was down the road at the Vine court, and at $95 was acceptable, but only because of the price. The furniture was un-matching, the linen and doonas totally unrelated to the drapery and the carpet! Wow, the carpet looked like left over fake grass from a mini golf course. It felt like I was staying in a garage sale or a St Vinnies store - weird smells included.

The pool: not cleaned, pool furniture old, faded and dirty. The bistro served bacon laying in hours of fat for breakfast, the most dried out scambled eggs and the coffee? Not sure it was coffee.

Finally, the service. In the bistro and bars it was upbeat, clearly they all knew they were up against it with such a poor product to sell. But it's in the 'office' that the wheels really come off. We repeatedly asked to cancel our porta-cot as it was no longer needed, but of course we arrive to it in our room and only partially assembled (because it was broken). Then we were charged for it, and now a week after chasing our credit card still bears the scars.

This is the Barossa people. A world class wine region, and this is supposed to be one of the best places in one of the major towns. It isn't. All around are some of the most enticing wines and wineries, but if this is supposed to be a base, hire a driver and come up from Adelaide every day. It will be worth every cent.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Isle of Skye
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

A gem of a hotel in a very friendly town.
This hotel is owned by the community and the place, management and staff are a credit to them.
My room overlooked a vineyard and I wished I was a wine buff as so many wines are local to Nuriootpa.
The counter meals were excellent as was breakfast in the restaurant.
I liked the Vine Inn so much I stayed there on 3 occassions.
I'm looking forward to my next visit!

Stayed November 2007

Been to Nuriootpa Vine Inn? Share your experiences!