“Pleasant but not WOW” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 29 Restaurants in Gawler
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Fig22 is a tapas and gourmet wood fired pizza restaurant located at the historic Wheatsheaf Inn, Gawler. We are proud of our fresh, inspiring, gourmet food, friendly table service and attention to detail. The atmosphere is intimate and relaxed. Our lunch menu features seasonal tapas and desserts with wood fired pizza added to the menu in the evenings and on Sundays. Our food is created to be shared along with wonderful company and conversation. At fig22 it’s all about the food.
Barossa Valley, South Australia
“Pleasant but not WOW”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Fig22 has a nice atmosphere and having the fire going was a nice touch.

Tapas are priced similar to an entree in a restaurant at around $14-18 per serve. The food is decent, but not perfectly balanced.
The beef satay was quite heavy, but the salad it came with cut through it nicely, especially with the sweet dressing on it.
The pork belly was nice, as was the pumpkin puree it came with, however the apple and walnut salad was served warm. I would have preferred a cool, crispy salad.
The honey soy wings were my favourite of the night. They were a little too heavy on the soy, and a little light on the honey. Maybe having a separate small bowl/jug of additional honey on the side for those people who love their honey?

Dining as a couple was a little interesting as both the wings and satay were served with 5 portions per serve. Made sharing the meal a little interesting.
I was also a little confused by how our meals were served. Our satay came by itself, cleared and then the wings and pork belly came out together. Personally (as we were dining as a couple) - I was expecting the meals to either all come out together, or to all come separately. This isn't a complaint, but maybe if the staff asked what order you'd like the meals to come in?

The desserts were good ($14 each).
The strudel was excellent and the accompanying icecream was fantastic and very creamy.
The cheesecake was nice, however not balanced. One mouthful will be fantastic and the next mouthful will simply be "creaminess" with no other flavours.
The icecream of the strudel on the cheesecake was a great combination though!

The service was good, but not fantastic. I had to ask to have my water refilled (not a huge issue, but given they only had 3 tables in at the time, I felt this should have been done without needing to be asked).

Food and drinks are all reasonably priced. For the two of us it cost approximately $110 for three tapas, two desserts, one liqueur, two dessert wines and two soft drinks. They do also have pizzas available at around $25, which sounded nice but we opted to go without.

Overall it was a pleasant experience. I would return, but I would not go out of my way to do so.
Pleasant, but not WOW.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Adelaide, Australia
“Best of Gawler”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is by far the best restaurant in Gawler. We have been here numerous times with varying numbers of guest & we have never been disappointed.

Food is five stars as is the atmosphere - especially in winter with the open fire roaring.

The staff are friendly & helpful, we always feel welcomed here.

The Arancini Balls as well as the Scallop & Pea pizza are an absolute must - but you won't be disappointed with anything on this funky, fusion & ever changing menu.

Big tip - leave room for dessert - there are some amazing things to try on the dessert menu.

You can also BYO wine & corkage is reasonable.

FANTASTIC.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great meals, helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our meal here, we came with 4 kids and the staff were very helpful when we arrived and through the night. We had a couple of tapers and pizzas and all of it was very nice. Kids really loved the Pork pizza (ham). Probably took a little long between some of the plates coming out, but if we didn't have kids it would've been fine and maybe it was just us trying to make sure the kids were entertained! Ideal venue for couples, but would (will) go back as a family too!

Visited April 2013
Adelaide, Australia
“21st Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Without question this was the best function I have attended. Staff were incredibly accommodating and informative when planning this event, with dietry requirements, childrens meals, restuaurant lay out for the evening. It was a breeze to plan this event with the staff. The evening of our celebration was exceptional, food is always amazing, the service was the best service I have received ever. I cannot thank fig22 enough for such a wonderful evening.

• Visited March 2013
Aus
“It is just fantastic. If you have taste buds you'll dig it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Just thought I'd check with my wife that this place is as good as I thought. 10 out of 10 and she wants to move to Gawler!!!