“Couldn't Stay After Paying!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Coral Inn Yeppoon

You added Coral Inn Yeppoon to your Saves list
Coral Inn Yeppoon
3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   14 Maple Street, Yeppoon, Queensland 4703, Australia (Formerly Coral Inn Resort & Flashpackers)   |
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Couldn't Stay After Paying!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

First of all, I've rated this as 1 out of 5 to draw attention to the review and make a couple of points. My girlfriend and I were taking a trip up the east coast of Australia and happened upon Yeppoon. We decided to stay at short notice and went to the information centre. They recommended Coral Inn to us and we ended up booking a queen room at short notice.
The owners were initially friendly and welcoming and charged my card before we could see the room and the venue. The rooms are newly done, although very small and you do feel that you are in someone's home rather than staying somewhere.
Although I was travelling I still had to do business calls to the USA and use a computer. Both my girlfriend and I smoke and normally there is a smoking area somewhere. There isn't here, you have to go all of the way out of the venue. Although we were disappointed, we were still going to stay. However, when I asked if the owner could open the gate so I could park, I was told that costs $5. We'd already listened to all of the local tour pitches and this immediately made me feel that everything usually included at an establishment would cost money.
We had just stayed at a lovely place called Sandcastles in 1770 for the same amount of $99 and the contrast was so much we decided we couldn't stay even one night, and asked for a refund.
It was obvious the owners didn't want to lose the booking, so I was told that they had been charged $15 by Booking.com. I said I would pay the $15 at which point they told me they didn't know how to do refunds!
I was going to call the bank and ask them to reverse the card charge and at this point the owner said they could give me $85 cash.

Strangely there was no-one else staying here - which I notice in the positive reviews too, which should have spoken volumes to me.

We ended up going to The Driftwood Motel for $120 - beach view, pleasant owners, free parking, a full suite with kitchen, free tea and coffee - a very welcome contrast!

So...
If you're a non-smoking backpacker this is a clean place, has a pool, is well located and I would imagine one of the better places to stay.

If you smoke don't stay here at all

If you're a couple looking for some time away and a nice place to stay, avoid this place and go somewhere else - my advice would be to go to the Driftwood Motel as it's the only place I've stayed and will add a review!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gabriele J, General Manager at Coral Inn Yeppoon, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
We do NOT accept DRUGS and do not support it. Therefore if you do so please stay away from our place and we are happily refund you even with our non cancellation policy. So if you are a drug user please follow this advise and stay away.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight, a little pricey for the double room with ensuite.
Pool great, rooms very clean but air con could have been a great xtra.
Would definitely recommend to stay.
Owners seem really friendly.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. Please come back anytime :)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This greatly exceeded all our expectations, and it is difficult to fault.

The owners were incredibly friendly and welcoming, offering lots of suggested places to visit in the area. The room we had was very clean and modern, and nicely decorated. Internet was fast and fairly reliable. We also took a swim in the pool which was a great way to cool down.

Yeppoon itself is a very picturesque town. In the short time we were there we saw turtles swimming off the coast, flying foxes and a good beach.

The owners really go out of there way to make people feel welcome and you can tell they have put a lot of effort into making this a great place to stay.

Next time we will make sure to stay longer!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review. Please come back anytime :)
Bathurst, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

First a warning: If you smoke, don't come here. If you don't smoke, enjoy the smoke-less environment here! The entire place is smoke-free, so you don't have to worry about walking through smoke hazes as you make your way to the kitchen or pool or BBQ or anywhere.

At first, I wasn't sure that we had arrived at the right place - it looks just like a house on a regular street. But it was right and the flashpackers/resort is behind the original house. It is an interesting design to have a regular house at the front and then to have built a two-storey accommodation building behind, but it works. If you are after a quieter retreat, and one that is not too pricey, then this is it. As soon as you walk around the back of the house, you see the "resort" area and considering its smaller space, it is well designed - there is no wasted space.

The building is new and everything is well maintained (so far), although the wallpaper everywhere takes a bit to get used to - particularly the snake skin print on the floor of the upstairs hall. It seems to work well, though, as it helps keep things clean and is easy to clean. We stayed in the King Room and while it has a king-sized bed, the room itself was not overly large. (Apparently it was significantly bigger than the queen room, but that would mean the queen room is quite small.) The room had standard amenities - bed, TV, lights, bar fridge, small sofa, small table, ensuite. The cool thing in the room was that the lights and ceiling fan were controlled with a remote - no more getting out of bed to turn off the lights or change the fan setting!

We didn't use the communal kitchen or living area because we didn't stay in the flashpackers/resort much of the time - mostly just to sleep, but it looked clean and serviceable. The pool looked great, although there is no shade from the sun (this is something that could be improved). The BBQ area looked good as well - again, we didn't stay in for meals, so I can't say if it was really good or not. The sandpit area was great - I really relaxed there and was able to finish some laptop work easily in the relaxed atmosphere. There is free wifi available, but I didn't use it because I already had my own connection.

The owners are friendly and gave a lot of advice, but at times it was too much advice. They mean well and have good intentions and want to give you as much information as they can so that you enjoy your stay. After the initial checking in and a few chance meetings between the house and flashpackers/resort, there was not much interaction, though. This was fine for us as we didn't need/want it, so it helped make it feel like we had a private place to stay and be away from the world.

The only negative is that the distance to the beach is underestimated and we were given directions that were a shortcut, but did not feel safe at night when we didn't know the area. We were told that the flashpackers/resort was only 600-700 metres from the beach along a path through a park. We decided that after driving 9.5 hours, we would walk to dinner because it should have been relatively close. It was on dusk when we left, but it got dark very quickly and we soon found ourselves walking through a mangrove in the dark (with no street lighting) on a concrete path that turned to a dirt track. It was not comfortable and it took about 30 minutes to walk to dinner rather than the 10-15 minutes that we expected (and were told). It really didn't help that the path was unlit and we were in a new place, so we didn't know if it was safe. On the way home from dinner, we decided to stick to the streets and it was 2.3km according to Google Maps.

Overall, though, the flashpackers/resort was what we wanted - a quite place, clean amenities, not frequented by some of the typical types of backpackers, and comfortable. It almost felt like we were staying in a guesthouse rather than a flashpackers/resort. A nice stay~

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gabriele J, General Manager at Coral Inn Yeppoon, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for your response it is much appreciated :) Hope to see you again anytime in the future. All the best :)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

A unique and homely hostel in an underrated part of the coast.
The friendly and knowledgable hosts have created a great place for budget travellers.
It's a decent walk to town but you can hire a bike I believe.. Or 5mins in a car.
I had to get the camera out to take some pics of this place, the wall paper is something else!
I stayed in a 6bed dorm and can honestly say the mattress was the most comfortable I've ever had in any dorm anywhere. Great ensuite too. Only thing I missed was a bedside reading lamp... but really can't complain.
Great kitchen, and super comfy lounge.
Very relaxed vibe here, not so wild party if that's your cup of tea.
Hope to be back soon!

• Stayed September 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My friend and I stayed in a dorm style room for one night on our way up to the Whitsundays and Cairns. The decor was bright and beautiful, definitely a welcomed change from the drabness of other hostels I have stayed in. The bathroom was attached to the dorm and we lucked out because we were the only guests in the girls dorm the night we stayed. The owners were friendly and gave us some ideas about local sightseeing and cuisine. It is about a ten minute walk to the shops and restaurants. If you don't want to walk I am sure it is not that expensive of a cab ride to get to the main area of Yeppoon.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Gabriele J, General Manager at Coral Inn Yeppoon, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you fro your review your welcome any time :)
dubbo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one might in a queen room. Must admit to being put off by the fact it is in a residential/light industrial area and in the owners backyard, but the owner offered to show me the room which allayed any doubts. Everything was new & fresh.
The room is small but comfortable & has most things you expect. No hair dryer, but I'm sure if I'd asked one would have been provided.
Our breakfast was delicious & brought to our room so we could eat on the deck. You must try the home made sausages.
The kitchen is very well equipped & other guests were taking advantage. The adjoining communal dining table & huge lounge is great too.
The owners were very welcoming, helpful, & friendly.
We've stayed in many hotels & motels all over the world and know Coral Inn is great value for money, just don't expect 5 star glitz. We recommend it and will definitely choose to stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you fro your review your welcome any time :)

Been to Coral Inn Yeppoon? Share your experiences!