“Wonderful apartment with awesome view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Whale Watch Ocean Beach Resort

You added Whale Watch Ocean Beach Resort to your Saves list
Whale Watch Ocean Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Samarinda Drive | Point Lookout, Redland City, North Stradbroke Island, Queensland 4183, Australia   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful apartment with awesome view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I loved my time at Whale Watch from the minute I stepped inside. A lovely apartment with amazing views of the bush and the sea. I even spotted whales from the living room 'without binoculars' which was special! Very well set out for privacy both inside out with separate balcony for bedrooms which also feature a view. Close to beautiful beaches and a short stroll to the shops. Jacquie the acting manager was welcoming and very helpful.

Room Tip: The Ocean front apartments on the higher floors have great panoramic views and are quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cleveland, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I wish I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor before I stayed at this place. We had Unit 3 at the rear of the complex - the "fantastic sea views" are very ordinary. Stand on the edge of the balcony and you'll see some waves breaking through the trees. We had hoped to sit on our balcony for breakfast and a drink in the evening before dark - we didn't bother. There was dust on all edges - lamps, pictures etc. Two of the legs on our bed were broken. No niceties - no tissues or toiletries in the bathroom. Everything seemed tired. The electric leads were all last tested in 2007.....what happened to W H & S? I have now read a couple of other reviews of this place and I agree - there are better places to stay (or at least equal) for less money. One other thing - check which vehicle ferry you are coming over on - the Big Red Cat is definitely best at the moment. All the nice Blue Ferries are up in Gladstone apparently and we came over on the Isle of Waiheke.......wherever did they get it? Maybe New Zealand? No coffee bar, only green plastic stackable chairs. Goodness knows what overseas visitors think about it.

Room Tip: Try 2nd or 3rd level and splash out on an ocean front unit.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunshine coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

After a shaky start arriving at 2.10 pm for check in and finding the reception closed until 2.30 waited until after that time no one arrived I noticed there was a mention of a buzzer at gate pressed that waited a few minutes no response went back down to reception a lady was now there who said " did you press that button " nice welcome ! When I said I did not notice any mention of check in time on booking I did not get any reply I am pretty easy going so I let that slide.The real motivation for submitting a review was how disappointed we were with how the views are misrepresented on the website we paid for what was described as an ocean view apartment while yes you can see the ocean but only when at the front edge of the balcony NOT from the bedroom and NOT from the kitchen as shown on the website photos I have uploaded photos of the view and also a couple of other things which are self explanatory a mixture of frustrating and amusing. We could have stayed else where much cheaper but my wife had worked 7 days a week since Christmas and we just wanted to be able to relax with some nice views.I suppose we should have complained but why should you have to demand what you pay for!!!! On a big plus the apartments are certainly very spacious and would be great for a large family !

• Stayed June 2012
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Before even arriving at the resort the resort manager called me 3 times over a 1 month period to discuss various things about us staying at the resort, the first call was to discuss what time we were catching the ferry over to the island, the second was to discuss what time we would be leaving the resort and the third was to make payment before we had even arrived at the island and also to tell us to come straight to the resort once we got off the ferry at 10am. So we arrived at the resort at 10:30am (as directed to do so), I followed the signs to the office and found the door locked, I then walked back to the front gate to press the buzzer to speak to someone. A man answered and I asked if he could unlock the door to the office entrance so I could check in. He proceeded to berate me for being so early and that check in time was after lunch, I then advised him that I was called earlier in the week and was asked to be here at 10:30am, he continued to tell me I was too early, but then told me to go down another set of stairs to get to the office. So this was a great start to the weekend, and at this point I was pretty much furious. We then get into our what is suppose to be "Ocean Front Room' and notice that there are trees blocking most of our view from the ocean. It rained for the whole three days, hence we couldn't get out much and the ocean view would have been great if we had had one. I won't be returning to this resort.

Room Tip: If you have a Ocean Front Room ask for floor 2 or 3
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Stayed in a great 3 bedroom Ocean Front apartment. Spectacular view out to see and along the beach. The apartment is very clean a equipped with just about everything you could ask for.

Pam was a lovely host (She even called me when I left some things in the apartment so I could come back and get them).

5 minute walk to the Beach, Surf Club, Cafes, Restaurants.

Pool and grounds need some love.

A memorable weekend.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012 via mobile

Like another reviewer said as you drove up the complex look really nice and the location was great. We got to reception at 3pm on a Saturday and no-one was there. You had to buzz and the manager let you in and came to greet you. It didn't take too long but was a bit weird.

Apon entering our 3 bedroom ocean view unit we were quite impressed with the unit. It was quite spacious and looked not super flash but nice enough. And that is where our delight ended! The ocean 'view' was only able to be seen from the top end of the balcony or with your face pretty much pushed against the glass doors (will add photos). After calling reception to be told that indeed it was an ocean view room and was actually the best of the ocean view rooms we had a look around. The room was dirty with coffee stains up the pantry, rusted shower fittings and my 11 month old baby came crawling out to us with a ciggerette packet in his mouth that he found in one of the rooms and then later we found him eating stale chip crumbs left in a bedroom from who knows when. He also found cigarette butts left on the balcony and he had them in his mouth. I am so mad and disgusted that we couldn't take our eyes off our baby for 5 minutes for fear he would find something else dirty to put in his mouth! This property is old, dirty, dated and misleading and not worth the $150 a night that we paid. We will not be back and will tell everyone not to stay there! Update it units and clean up!!!! Pick up your act whale watch!!!

• Stayed February 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This place is getting a little old and probably not worth what they charge. The apartments are pretty old, poorly decorated, the air conditioning smelt terrible to the point where we couldn't use it....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Whale Watch Ocean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!