“Good value for the money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Manta Lodge & Scuba Centre

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Stradbroke Island
Manta Lodge & Scuba Centre
You added Manta Lodge & Scuba Centre to your Saves list
132 Dickson Way | Point Lookout, Redland City, North Stradbroke Island, Queensland 4183, Australia   |
New York City, New York
“Good value for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We only spent one night there and didnt necessarily check out all the amenities but for the price, it was more than fine. The location is great, the team seemed friendly. The beach proximity is definitely a plus. Had we stayed longer, i would have definitely taken adventage of the fact that they also have the scuba centre - this would be a great location if you are trying to get a few dives in over a few days. Don't expect the Ritz but as a backpacker accomodation, this place certainly did the trick.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Excellent value for Money. Clean and tidy Beachfront Accommodation and a friendly Team. There are Double Bed Rooms available if you don't like the to share. I stayed overnight many times and it is good to see that there are little improvements every time I come. Walking distance to Clubs, Pubs, Bottle Shop and Convenience Store as well as free Shuttle Service from the Ferry to the Hostel. If you are a Diver, then you can enjoy the best Diving in South East Queensland at one of the many Dive Sites around the Island. If not then just sign up for a Course or Snorkel. I always say, you get what you pay for so do not book $20 Accommodation and expect a 3Star Motel Room. If you only want a clean bed and shower in a fun environment, then this is your Place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the beach so that you get some breeze provided you don't mind the noise of the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Close to the beach. Unfriendly environment if you are not a diver. Shower heads need replacement and holes in the shower roof are an uncomfortable reminder you have not paid full price for a stay at the YHA. You are at jeopardy of voyerism. Pre booking for a -18 you are met with an unfriendly welcome and contradiction for who is actually a welcome patron. Would not return or recommend for other locals.

• Stayed October 2012
cambridge uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here over the weekend whilst I was in Queensland. Great little hostel with amazing staff - and this is probably attributed to the fact it is run by scuba divers :-) we all know that backpackers accommodation is relatively basic, and that you get the gems and the ones you'd rather avoid. This is definitely one of the gems. It's right on the beach and attached to the dive centre so there's no worries doing any water based activities from this YHA.

As a dive centre I found it to be very professionally run with plenty of instructors on board. Everyone seemed to take their job very seriously and to want to provide a good diving experience to their customers.

I would definitely recommend this place if you are staying on Straddie.

• Stayed September 2012
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at the Manta Lodge for 5 nights, and I loved it. I was there off season with my boyfriend and we had the dorm to ourselfs, which was great =).
The Staff at the hostel is just amazing, we felt very welcomed from the first moment, and one of the staff members (chong) asked us if we wanted to come along fishing with him on his day off which was great because we didnt know about the good fishing points on straddi.
The whole atmosphere was just great, and the short walk to the beach is perfect.
Only downpart is that the showers could use some renovations, water was dripping out somewhere on the way to the shower head...
Everything was clean, great big kitchen. really nice that they had pool and table tennis for free =)

we also went on a snorkelling trip from the manta lodge and that was great =) the guide pointed out sharks and turtles and manta rays and other cool things =) and on the boat after the first time in the water they had hot soup, water and lollies for everyone =)

i just had a really good time =) loved it

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I've stayed in YHAs and/or hostels in many places and the standard varies considerably. This was at the *poorer* end of the scale. Having said that... with tying in so well for the diving experiences Manta Lodge offers, it has its benefits, and a good night's sleep was had, the shower was hot, the rooms clean
~ and no~one in their right mind expects 5 Star from a hostel, even though.... sometimes... you almost get that!!!

It could do better.... lots better... it's tired, and little things like mattress and pillow protectors and refurnishing could lift this from where it is to what it could be. The furnishings in the common room etc are dingy, and delapidated. Simply don;t expect anything more and you won't be disappointed.

I didn't use the kitchen facilities, so cannot comment on how good they might possibly be.

Cannot fault the front line staff though.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Rancho Cucamonga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I found The Manta Lodge while planning my trip to Australia on the internet. I did not stay there however as I already had accomodations on Straddie. I booked the morning, two tank dive. I brought only my reg and computer and hired the rest. The staff was very helpful with getting me the gear. They used Mares bcd's and weight belts. I haven't used a belt since '05 when I was learning. I had to ask for a little refresher on the belt which they happily gave me. The boat is launched right into the surf and the skipper is an excellent driver. Paul led our dive with Biddy as the dive master. We got a good safety brief on land and another site survey and brief at both our stops. I was very impressed with the professionalism of the crew. The diving was great, saw a manta and a sea turtle, neither of which we get in Southern California. There was all kinds of critters on the bottom as well. I really enjoyed both dives.

Now for the not so good. This was my first international dive trip so the following might just be my American ignorance but, I was a little taken aback when, at the end of the dives, the patrons were asked to unload the boat, clean the rental gear and stow it. Not to say that I minded the work and I always offer to do that at home, but since when do you pay $176 AUD for service, then perform that service yourself? Anyways, that was the only negative part about the trip I had.

All in all, I highly recommend the Manta Lodge, at least for diving. The staff was knowledgable, helpful, friendly, and took the safety of their guests to heart.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Manta Lodge & Scuba Centre? Share your experiences!