“Great food with a twist” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Jamaican
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Queensland
“Great food with a twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Hi there

I thought I should write a few things about this cool little restaurant we went to last night.
Its called Shi Loh & its a Jamaican/reggae restaurant in Southport, Gold Coast.

Its run by the owner Jimmy who is a really nice laid back guy that does all the traditional cooking too.

He's a real character that you can have a good laugh with & being from Jamaica himself, he's a wealth of knowledge all things Jamaican if your curious to know.

He made us (a party of 3) the most delicious traditional fair and we actually all got different dishes so we could share. Yum!

Price wise we thought it was very reasonable & the portions are really good too. We left there incredibly full and happy.
You can also buy a drink there & tee shirts etc...
If you're after something a bit different, laid back, listening to the sounds of reggae, then its well worth a look.
It would be perfect for a birthday or some other party as an excuse to all get dressed up in Rasta clothing :-)
In all we were very happy, the food was top notch & it was a lot of fun!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Very nice food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I really love the food at this restaurant. As another reviewer said, it is divine. I think I have tried almost all of the main dishes on the menu at one time or another and I can say that I like them all. They can cook up custom dish that's not on the menu for you if you asked, for example Butter Fish, which would taste very different to Spicy Lamb, so they can cater to a variety of taste buds. When they are busy, your food might take a while to come out, because it is a one man operation in the kitchen, but that's what makes it so awesome - you know the food will be expertly and consistently made by the man himself. It is definitely worth the wait. I have been going back to this restaurant since I first found it in 2006 or so. I would highly recommend it.

• Visited March 2013
Burleigh Heads, Australia
“A great experience - the dishes are excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a great place to eat at. The dishes are traditional Jamaican fare - jerk chicken and rice and I must say I was really surprised by how tasty they were! The atmosphere is warm and casual and very friendly. The place can cater for large groups and the atmosphere (which a expected) is heavily influenced by Reggae and Jamaican colors. If you get a chance to eat there when the chef gets out his guitar and sings reggae tunes you are in for a treat! It's very kid friendly and has a slightly hippie feel to the place.

• Visited September 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent food and service for a one man band!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Dined in at Shi-loh a few weeks ago and was very apprehensive about trying out the food as I knew I was going to be critical having spent a lot of time in Jamaica and eaten Ja food so many times. I am pleased to report that the food was simply devine. Not easy to get all the best spices in Oz for real Ja food but Jimmy did the best steamed fish I have ever tasted (including all the times I have eaten in Jamaica!). Will be going again for sure! Walk good!

• Visited February 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
“Excellent atmosphere and food!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Have been numerous times taking varies friends and family here and never has it been a bad night. The Jamaican decor, friendly staff and awesome food making it one of our favourite restaurants. Going on a Friday or Saturday for the live music makes it all the more better and having a dance after. Jimmy is always accommodating, coming out to say hello or sing after cooking. The food; I recommend the goat or lamb (melts in your mouth) or vegetarian Quinoa! Yum!

Visited December 2011