“good apartment - just dont book last minute!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Meriton Serviced Apartments Southport

You added Meriton Serviced Apartments Southport to your Saves list
Meriton Serviced Apartments Southport
6 Aqua Street (corner of Como Crescent), Southport, Queensland 4215, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Southport
London, United Kingdom
“good apartment - just dont book last minute!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

We decided to stay here as we got a good deal via the travelzoo website and booked a one bedroom apartment - although we were placed in a two bedroom which was locked off.
The complex is still being completed and although we didn’t hear any building noise, we saw quite a few builders. We had a knock at the door from a builder at 8am on our first morning asking to measure up a kitchen cabinet (which had a mark on it) - We found that quite strange...

Anyway, the apartment was nice and clean, the kitchen well equipped and provided all we needed for our short stay. The furnishings were all brand new and the unit benefited from a bath and shower in the en-suite. The screen doors are great and open out fully onto the balcony. We stayed in Block C on the 5th floor overlooking the pond, which was yet to be filled with water. Complementary parking in the underground car park was convenient, although free parking can be found on the street. We didn't find the pool, although were told it was located across the street in another block - another quirk to this place.

The reason for our low marks is down to their reservations team. My sister was staying with my parents at the Meriton Broadbeach and on discovery of two interlinking doors within our apartment I thought id ask if it would be ok for her stay in the room next to us on our last night, instead of sleeping on the couch in Broadbeach for an extra $50. Reception can’t make bookings so I had to call their reservations team later that day. After enquiring about booking a 2-bed apartment, he proceeded to tell me that all those were fully booked that night. I explained that we had an interconnecting door in our apartment so asked if anyone was staying next to us. After being put on hold for 5 minutes he came back and told me that ‘they had been moved and the doors will be unlocked later that day’ - leading me to believe we had access to the apartment next to us via the interconnecting doors. Delighted with this, I booked after agreeing to pay an extra $200 (the going rate for a one bedroom apartment online that night)

However, upon returning to our room, we discovered that it wasn’t another apartment after all, but just one bedroom! So the extortionate rate that I had just paid had been to open a door and for housekeeping to change one extra bed in the morning! I wouldn’t have minded paying the extra money if it had been for an entire apartment, but after complaining at reception the next morning we didn’t get very far as to getting some money back.
How can they justify this rate for opening a locked door? And who did they move? The bedroom was only accessible through our apartment!?

Overall, the apartment was great, It’s just a shame my dealings with their reservations team left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment for one night. The staff memebr who checked us in was fantastic, she was very professional and got the stay off to a very pleasent start. She even went out of her way to meet me in the basement with a trolley for our luggage.

The hotel is brand new, so as you can imagine, the condition is great. Very nice modern decor and comfy beds. The pool and gym were closed for our entire stay which was slightly disappointing.

The location is a bit out of the way, but we knew that when we booked.

Overall a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

We stay at this new block of apartments for the Easter long holiday. Check in was quick and simple.

We stayed at building c on the 8th floor. No great views like Meriton Broadbeach but we were happy staying on the top floor. The apartment is clean and spacious which have similar furnishing to Meriton Broadbeach.

Negatives of this apartment was pool, gym, spa and sauna was in at Dune building across the road which was quite strange. Lifts made horrible noises which we could hear from where we stayed. The cleaners was too lazy kept leaving the dirty towels on the floor which they kept giving us clean towels. Why couldn't they just remove the dirty towels out? So I decided to write them a note asking them to remove the towels.

Don't think we'll stay here again. But it was an experience to remember!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I stayed at this place in early April 2011 and was pleasantly surprised to see a very clean, well-renovated apartment with full amenities. Check in was easy and quick and I was really happy until I turned on the TV to a fuzzy screen. I called the night duty staff who came by and tried to fix the TV but could not. In the end, I had to switch rooms but could only get the room key the newxt morning. After moving all our things to the new apartment and unpacking all over again, we were dismayed to find the DVD player missing. We were going to watch a movie over dinner and well that ruined everything. The next morning I went to the front desk to get the new room key and requested if they could extend my stay for another night for the same price but they charged me double! All this delay was just wasting my time and we got to the theme park really late. Talk about trying to make up for incomplete service. I was quite cheesed off by the poor service and thought best to get out of there. The manager emailed me a few days later offering a 25% disc on my stay but what's the point after all the delays? Just as I was checking out, a lady came to return the DVD player. Btw the pool is in another building, a bit inconvenient.
The service is such a shame given the apartment is new and nice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

After some rather mediocre accommodation on the Sydney leg of our sales trip, I was thrilled when I walked into my room at the brand new Meriton Serviced Apartments Southport. The apartment was ultra clean, spacious and very usable, particularly useful was the large desk set back out of the living room.

Helpful evening security guard checked us in quickly and efficiently. The location was ideal for us, as our morning meeting was less than 2 minutes away.

We received a great opening rate - not sure what the ongoing pricing with be like.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Right now Meriton are doing fantastic prices for the Serviced Apartments in Southport. $140/night for 2 bedrooms of this quality in Surfers Paradise is truly amazing. I was a little dissapointed that they charged $20/night extra to have 2 singles rather than a king bed, and wanted another $10/night for parking. Still very attractive pricing at this time (looking at the Meriton Broadbeach I expect prices will rise).

Rooms are great, plenty of space, great features (AC in each room). The little desk nook is virtually useless, the desk is tiny and there are no powerpoints, but you can set up at the dining table (just a pain at meal time).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We drove down from Brisbane airport as part of out getaway and it took 1 hour with traffic. The location was quite easy to find and is situated just a street back from the Main beach and Queen Street (5 mins from the shopping complex Pacific Fair). We stayed in a luxurious 3 Bedroom ground floor apartment which was perfect for our needs. There were no views from this room however the building in front may have obstructed this anyway. The apartment was exceptionally clean and all the furnishings looked brand new, it was well decorated even down to the smallest detail including soft furnighings and te artowkr. It was a well equipped property with a full kitchen, ample lounges to relax, dining room, laundry room and 2 bathrooms all with an expansive layout. The outdoor patio area was very comfortale, perfect for a cocktail party or BBQ and the ground floor has a much larger than the above floors. We were well advised that there might be some construction going on but we hardly noticed except for the some work in the car park. I slept like a baby in the king sized bed with super soft sheets and woke up very rested and relaxed. Perfect for families, friends or even for a business trip.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Meriton Serviced Apartments Southport? Share your experiences!