“Just ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crystal Bay on the Broadwater

You added Crystal Bay on the Broadwater to your Saves list
Crystal Bay on the Broadwater
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   182 Marine Parade, Southport, Queensland QLD 4215 , Australia   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Spent one week here with a friend and her two small children. We had a 2 bedroom apartment which was small but adequate. Disappointed in kitchen supplies, utensils, etc as it was hard to rustle up a meal. Apartment was updated, but not quite finished and we did have a phone call from a workman wishing to quote on finishing work! (We did wonder if we were not in room at time, whether or not he would have come right on in. This was off putting.). Whilst the apartment was clean, the hallway was not! For those that do not like the smell of cigarette smoke, I warn you that this is not a smoke free building. Reception staff (lady) was not friendly and for us it did affect our thoughts on these apartments. We did need advice on the workings of the tv and whilst this took 3 phone calls and all day to fix, the man (mgr?) was apologetic and very personable. On a positive note, we loved the location, great parks across the road for kids, etc. Would we stay there again? Probably not.....

Room Tip: Make sure you get an updated room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CrystalBayResort4215, Front Office Manager at Crystal Bay on the Broadwater, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and sorry to hear you were not entirely satisfied with your stay with us. Your experience with the cigarette smell on your floor is unfortunate and whilst we do all we can to encourage our guests and residents to smoke on the balconies at all times, it is a very hard thing to police. The issue with kitchen utensils has been discussed with our cleaning staff and they have been instructed to be more careful whilst checking inventory during each clean. I would also like to ensure you that any workmen would not enter your unit without you first being notified.
Hopefully you will still consider Crystal Bay in the future if returning to the Gold Coast.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Despite some of the negative reviews, my guts feeling told me I could give Crystal Bay a go. I am glad I did. I must be very lucky to get the best 3 Bedrooms apartment ( Rm 1304), the unit was modern & tidy.Well equipped kitchen. Flat screen TV (with foxtel ) in two bedrooms & sitting room, Air-conditioning in one bedroom & sitting room. Can spend hours lying on the beach bed on the balcony overlooking the stunning seaview & watching the water sport activities. We meant to have a roll away bed because we have 7 people, but it wasn't required at the end because the bunk bed is double bed on the lower. The reception said that's why they gave us this apartment. Thank you. ( save us $150 for the extra bed)
Location is one of the best, away from the traffic ( road work all along Suffers Paradise, big traffic), but near enough to all attractions.With a hired car, underground secure parking is a piece of mind.
The only thing can improve is to have a fan ( even to hire from reception) in the room that has no A/C, even with the balcony sliding door opened, it was still very warm in hot day, we have to leave the bedroom door opened at night to sleep. The bedroom with the bunk bed is pretty small with folding doors, down side is not sound prove, good side is well ventilate, more suitable for children sleep like a log.
Overall, Crystal Bay is highly recommended

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the sea, but view may be blocked by trees on lower floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wollongong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I'm baffled by the previous negative reviews, absolutely LOVED Crystal Bay.

Our apartment was spacious and well equipped. Modern furnishings with aqua tones and leather lounge, exactly as pictured on the website. This property is very well maintained, lovely gardens and fantastic pool area. The spa was very hot, absolutely loved it, even in the middle of summer. The views from our apartment were spectacular (we were on the 6th floor). Never got tired of looking out and watching the windsurfers and boats on the broadwater.

We tried the steam room which was great, very relaxing. Gym was well equipped.

Front desk staff were always friendly and accommodating. They printed some documents for me and did not charge me which I thought was nice.

Location is excellent. Very close to restaurants, KFC, service station, massage place and McDonalds, all 2 minute walk away.

Room were quiet, sleep quality was excellent, although it gets light very early in Queensland in the middle of summer.

Room Tip: 6th floor was great
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This accomadation is great if you want to do the theme parks as it is only 10 mins away- the rooms themselves were passable but quite disappointing as , booked on the Internet and it looked nicer - staff were not friendly at all -

• Stayed November 2012
Gold Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Recently my granddaughter and husband and two " littlelies" spent 5 days at the delightful Crystal Bay Resort on the Broadwater in Southport , Gold Coast. "Grandmas' "shout"! The 2 bedroom cnr apt, was a good size, fully self-contained with kitchen / laundry / living /dining areas.on level 10 , overlooking the lovely N facing water views. Pool / spa /gym / BBQ facilities if required and all well presented. Large sunny balcony. Park right opposite resort with great children's play area. Good A/C and Foxtel if you have time to watch it!

Very welcoming on checking in and leaving. Underground secure parking with lift access only to your level. Great shopping at nearby Harbour Town or Australia Fair for any supplies etc.
Family spent 1 day at Seaworld about 10 mins away - other theme parks up M1 about 20 mins drive. so Crystal Bay very handy to "everything'!

Room Tip: I understand CB is undergoing refurbishments, as some rooms are getting a bit 'dated'. Howev...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I picked this place because the other resorts I normally stay at had outrageous tariffs for the same period.....well it was awful! Carpet was dirty, door frame to a bedroom had come away and was leaning into room (!!), louvres were broken, side of lounge had visible oily marks so it hadn't been wiped (leather), couldn't flush loo properly, tv lost sound after three days (oh and there are no instructions on how to operate the thing!), crockery was missing. Given I asked for a refurbished room, I don't think there's any excuse for so many faults. Take my advice and look elsewhere!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
CrystalBayResort4215, General Manager at Crystal Bay on the Broadwater, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Jenny,
Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience at Crystal Bay. We always do our best to ensure our guests have a pleasant stay and your comments will be taken on board.
Please note that the superior units (at small additional cost) at Crystal Bay have recently been up-graded so have new furnishings throughout!!
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We have stated here for 6 years in a row and up until our last visit, we have always been more than satisfied. Our last trip however was terrible.

We booked 5 months in advance and specifically requested a refurbished room, which we were told we would get because we were returning guests, it was even hand written on our invoice when we checked in.

Upon opening the door we realised it wasn't so, the carpet was filthy, the blinds were broken and dusty. The bucket chairs were so dirty that I had to wash my arms and change my shirt after sitting on them. When I told reception, they looked at me like I had 2 heads and sent up 2 more filthy chairs. Oh well I thought I would just throw the sheet that was in the cupboard on them so we could use them, to my disgust, it was covered in some unmentionable stains......

When asking reception about why we didn't get a refurbished room, they basically said too bad we made a mistake, you should have booked earlier, I told them we booked 5 months early, they looked it up and said oh yeah, oh well.

That was it, no apology, nothing to make our stay better, no offer of anything except a bewildered stare.

I emailed them when I got home from the stay to express my frustration and disappointment and got no reply at all.

Oh we also had 6 guests and they supplied 3 very old plastic chairs for the balcony, 1 of which had a very dodgy repair, these chairs can be picked up at bunnings for under $10 and they need to repair them when they are atleast 5 years old.

The beds are hard and uncomfortable, staff were rude and don't care. It wouldnt have been as bad if we hadn't specifically requested and been promised the updated room.

Terrible service. View is nice though.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Crystal Bay on the Broadwater? Share your experiences!