“the bright lights of Maryborough” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Arkana Motel

You added Arkana Motel to your Saves list
Arkana Motel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   46 Ferry Street, Maryborough, Queensland 4650, Australia   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Maryborough
Brisbane
“the bright lights of Maryborough”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The bright lights of Maryborough were fluoro.. startling so.

I can't remember the last time I was a room with so much fluorescent lighting. I especially liked the biggest one being over the bed for a reading light. I could count every pore in my skin when I looked in the mirror. What can I say it reminded me of my childhood when down lights and soft lighting were something unknown. It certainly illuminated my cross stitch.

The fluoro lights highlighted the various attempts at updating over the years. The defunct radio set in the wall. Did those things ever work? The different attempts to redo various laminates. The furnishings were interesting. I suggest that you don't sit on the couch. It made me think of cooties. I did not see any but that does not mean that they are not there.

The bathroom was a fibro sheeting special with a lovely fresh mint green paint job. The fifty years of grout grime and the broken tiles most likely let the side down. Although the plank shelf with 2 L brackets was showing how one must sand and prime before bunging on oil white paint. The water pressure was at pre drought in Brisbane pressure levels and I do love a regional towns complete disregard for water saving. This was also demonstrated by the fact that the water ran in the dunny constantly. I did get up and turn this off about 2 am. Which annoyed me no end at 8 am when there was no water to flush.

How can I describe the bed decked in that lovely 80s messy print? Back Pain. There is nothing like lying in a bed woken at 3am by that nagging in your L5 S1 region is there? This bed was only slightly better than Malinda Guest Lodge in Zanzibar in 2003 where I had to hold on to the edge of the bed to stop rolling 3ft down onto the floor. It took my back 2 years to recover from that.

And the added bonus here is that every truck leaving Maryborough is speeding through Ferry St as if the very bats of hell where on their tail. Sometime the traffic noise was broken by the sound of a car.

Nina Simone on the Ipod struggled to over come this noise.

Breakfast was good. Salt ? and Pepper? Unobtainable.

Red Rooster is opposite. If you walk in at 8:25 pm they will let you know that they want to go home soon.

I recommend cheap wine as a necessity for staying here. The bottle shop at station square will close by 6:30pm .. but if you can find Dan Murphy's they may be still open.

The wifi charges are outrageous.

I thought the room was going to take off when I heard the air conditioner magically start up. Jet engines are less noisy.

The gentleman at the front desk was nice and I liked his dog.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed for one night, check in was quick but not particularly friendly. Room in need of renovation, very old but clean. Quite noisy as on main road and adjacent side street parking area for large trucks. Absolutely basic room

Room Tip: look at other motels in area
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The room decor and fittings were all old and in need of repair. Bad smell in room, old and noisy air conditioner and peeling paint and mould in bathroon. This motel was very over priced considering its condition. We certainly expect better conditions than this. Also WIFI at $7.50 per hour!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

we all had a wonderful stay and the owners were very helpful and thoughtful.
we enjoyed our stay and it was close to all amenities.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed at the Arkana with my daughter ,her partner and my Grand-son.We shared a Family Room for 1 night.
The room was spacious,clean and well equipped.
sitI found the reception staff most friendly.
The tarrif was pleasently low and good value!
Meals served in room were hot and appertising also good value.
The restaurant was closed for renovations but we were forwarned and the staff arranged a courtesy bus for us to dine at the RSL.[worth a visit]

Room Tip: All rooms are ground floor so easily accessible. Airconditioned and Wall heater available
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ArkanaMotel, Manager at Arkana Motel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hi joyous 39

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We would love to see you back again.

Cheers
Kim & Mark
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night when making a trip from Gold Coast to meet relatives in Maryborough.

Actually we only slept her, so there isn't too much to review.

Bed was huge (King size), receptionist nice, nothing special, but could stay another time also.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
ArkanaMotel, Owner at Arkana Motel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Hi Ismo56, thank you for your review. Hope you can visit again and for longer next time.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We arrived early and our rooms were not ready, but we were able to leave our cars and head into the Portside Food and Wine festival. The rooms are basic and clean, the grounds are neat and tidy and a nice area provided to sit outside with friends (we had 3 rooms booked) Fresh milk is provided for tea or coffee. Our reservations were dealt with in an efficient and friendly manner.
Nice little pool area, though the pool was closed. Room service breakfast was promptly delivered with a smile, and we all found the brekkys to be good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
ArkanaMotel, Owner at Arkana Motel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Hi Krisnwoz, what a great weekend you stayed. The busiest of the year for Maryborough. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you come back next year. Just remember the Portside Food & Wine Festival & Pub Fest will be held on 4th & 5th May in 2013.

Been to Arkana Motel? Share your experiences!