“Unbelievably amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Public Boat Ramp | Norman Point, Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Improve this listing
“Unbelievably amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have travelled to a lot of other countries. Backpacked through Asia, Europe, The Middle East and South America. I have never experienced something so amazing as my dolphin experience at Tin Can Bay. We arrived around 7am and spent approx. an hour in the water with the dolphins who were swimming closely by. We saw them roll onto their backs putting their flippers up in the Air, jump into the air doing somersaults, talk to us etc etc. To finish a most perfect morning we fed the dolphins. Just amazing!!! Can I say the staff at Barnacles and the volunteers were absolutely amazing. The imformation they provided us with in regards to the dolphins was extremely informative. To any previous negative comments made regarding this adventure yes you can only go knee deep in the water, no you are not allowed flashes from your camera, and no you are not allowed to touch or pat the dolphins as this is their territory. As the volunteers explain this is the dolphins territory not ours and we need to respect that. The volunteers here are absolutely beautiful. Very happy, informative and patient people. Yes one of the volunteers raised her voice because one of the people viewing the Delphins tried to pat the dolphin not once after a warning but twice....totally disrespectful and worthy of a raised volunteers voice. If you dont want to abide by the rules to protect these beautiful creatures then don't go. There are rules at the Tin can Bay viewing to protect these most beautiful mammals. Today was one of the most beautiful days of my life. It has certainly made me appreciate theses most beautiful and vulnerable creatures and made me feel extremely protective of them. Thank you Barnacles for an amazing experience. Oh and to pay $5 for the experience of being able to Feed these beautiful creatures who can complain??? If you don't want to donate your $5 to look after such a great animal then to view the dolphins is free!!! Try doing that for free elsewhere??? Not likely! I cannot thank the volunteers and Barnacles enough.

australia
“Watch out for the birds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Tin Can bay Dolphins are lovely, but watch the birds around small children. The staff do their best to distract the birds & let families with small children feed the dolphins first. But during the feeding they became aggressive.

Visited September 2012
Brisbane
34 attraction reviews
“don't go in peak holiday periods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I am sure this would be a great experience when not so crowded and I must admit, we were there between Christmas and New Year, so that is probably as crowded as it gets, but people were pushing in, standing in front of us etc and there were the inevitable rude ones.
We got there early and waited so we could take photos, and should have had a clear view but people who came late seemed to think they could push their children to the front (and then join them) so tried to push us to the back. That aside, it was good to see the dolphins up close and personal. They are wild dolphins and the alpha male does not let the whole pod in for the feeding - just his favourites. There was a nine month old who came in with 'mum' and lept over her a couple of times - though, of course, never when the camera was pointed in that direction. The staff try to organise the crowd and work within the stipulations of National Parks and Wildlife to protect the dophins, and are doing a good job with that. Well worth a visit , but if I go again, I would aim for off peak.

Visited December 2012
Perth, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Every bit as good as Monkey Mia!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Well, we didn't know much about this place and if it hadn't been for someone in Hervey Bay telling us to go there we would have missed it. All I can say is "how lucky were we...". The little town is just fab and we stayed there an extra night - we liked it that much. The big surprise however was the dolphin feeding.... Living in Perth we'd been to Monkey Mia a couple of times and enjoyed the dolphins very much. Yet the dolphin experience we had at Tin Can Bay was every bit as good and I would go as far as to say it was better... We were closer to the three dolphins that turned up and because of the elevated viewing position I was able to take some great shots. Although the little area where the dolphins come to is nowhere as touristy and upmarket as Monkey Mia, My wife and I thought it added to the charm of the experience - we loved it... We thoroughly recommend Tin Can Bay and when you go there we are sure you will love it too!

Visited November 2012
Brisbane, Australia
9 attraction reviews
“Very disappointed with staff / volunteers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I can see this would have once been a nice spot to see the dolphins, before the over bossy attitude of the staff on their power trips, and the over regulation / control / rules and commercialisation, have spoilt it.
Went there at 6am, about 10 people waiting, there was already a dolphin there with a staff member there in the water feeding it, we were told we were not allowed to enter the water or walk down to the sand / beach, at all till after 7am. Murky water made it difficult to see the dolphin.
By 7am there was about 30 or 40 people there, and a 2nd dolphin. We were allowed in the water to only knee deep, and told not to touch the dolphins, that kept a distance from the people.
A young girl aged approximately 12 to 14 was at the end of the row of people, an older staff member [the very rude bossy one ] barked at the young girl to “step back”, the girl stepped back [she was less than mid-calf in the water] and again the staff member on her power trip barked “step back” to her, 5 times this young girl was told [more like barked at] to step back, until she was less than ankle deep in the water, very soon after the poor young girl was so embarrassed she left the water, obviously upset, the power tripping staff member had simply taken a dislike to the girl, this spoilt it completely for me [and other watching this power trip] and I left just before they did the feeding, when the people have to get out and away from the water to watch, and pay $5 per fish, each for feeding the dolphins.
I have been to Monkey Mia to see the dolphins; it was a truly wonderful experience, with quite a bit of interaction with the many dolphins that visit there, nothing like Tin Can Bay where the staff completely spoilt the experience with their power trips.
The education about the dolphins at Monkey Mia was also far superior and so much more informative than Tin Can Bay.
Monkey Mia Dolphins was an experience I will never forget, Tin Can Bay dolphin experience is one I would rather forget as it was so disappointing due to the power tripping attitudes of the staff.
Everything else in Tin Can Bay was lovely, we stayed at a place called Dolphin Waters in a beautiful clean suite with a lovely pool and bbq area, would highly reccomend staying there.
Very nice little town !