“AN ABSOLUTE PLEASURE” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 13 Gaspe B&B and Inns
Durham, Canada
“AN ABSOLUTE PLEASURE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Desmond and his team work so well together and are so welcoming to guests that they do absolutely everything they can to make your stay the very best. The Inn's majesty is like stepping back in time to the 1800's, with a quaint and relaxing atmosphere, (I could almost vision ladies from a century ago grandly climbing the staircase in long dresses). The food is phenomenal, best that we have ever had. Desmond is an expert chef and truly enjoys taking your gastronomy experience into the heights of fine dining. We are still relishing the glow of wonderful Gaspe and Maison William Wakeham and will definitely be back. You will not be disappointed, your stay will be a treat you should not deny yourself.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Pontiac County, Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

My 88 year-old father and 84 year -old mother and I stayed for two nights over the Easter break. I love historic inns and this one was memorable. Desmond Ogden, the inn-keeper, is also a chef who clearly has a passion for his "auberge". My father required a gluten-free diet and on several occasions, Desmond made special arrangements to ensure that he received appropriate items...The breakfasts were lovely...When we came down the stairs each morning, a crackling fire was waiting for us in the dining room. Mr. Ogden takes care to use local, seasonal ingredients as much as possible. His restaurant, which is part of the inn, was almost filled to capacity the evening we were there. The menu was extensive and we truly enjoyed our Matane shrimp, local turbot and scallops. The maple cake was to die for..I wonder if he parts with recipes? Our room was very comfortable with crisp linen and a large , sparkling clean bathroom.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Grafton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

To have guests before winter had ended and the tourist season begun was taken in stride by innkeeper Desmond Ogden. My wife and I arrived by train (the station is within walking distance to the Inn) and were warmly met at the Inn by Desmond. We found La Maison William Wakeham to be a charming building. The decor and fixtures are reminiscent of times past while still providing for modern convenience. Our room, La Rustique, was very comfortable. Its "log cabin" appearance reminded us of northern lodges that cater to outdoor enthusiasts. Beyond these delights however was the food expertly cooked and presented by Desmond. All-in-all, a delightful experience.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

Hello Desmond Ogden & Staff :
I am emailing you to send my Thanks to you and your Staff members. At La Maison William Wakeham
We stayed at your Auberge last year in July 2009 for 2 nights. My brother had liver Cancer and was only allowed to eat organic or natural foods.
He so much enjoyed the food and your place with the pine logs and the fireplace the Moose Head was of great discussion.
My family is one of the original eight families to be from the Douglastown. Lenny was the Son of Thomas Walsh and Clothilda Bolduc. I know you are booked well in advance , but I truly do appreciate that you let me be there that weekend to be with my brother as this was our special time together in our Hometown Gaspe.
I tried to say good bye to you that morning I choked up in tears …it was all so perfect I just wanted to freeze this time to never end. .
We are all here on the earth for a leased time and borrow all that we have : must give it back when we receive our one way ticket. We do take what is in our hearts and soul…Mr. Desmond you were my Angel this world is such a better place because of men like you. so kind and understanding, to be such an awesome cook…Your place is so special. Making history as well as preserving it…
I truly want to say I was so pleased to have these cherished memories with my brother Lenny & our family together. It is of great sadness My brother Lenny Walsh passed away in Feb. 02 , 2010. I will go back to stay at your place a piece of Heaven .Your Staff ae true Angels work so hard to please and your food is to die for..I mean it in a memorable way!! I dream of the summer I will be back..Thank you
LA Rustique

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Pittsfield, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

This was the best food we had during our 2 week trip to Gaspe Pennisula...truly outstanding. The restaurant is not inexpensive but totally worth it. Save somewhere else and spluge here. (Warning: portions are big and food is so good, you may overeat!)We spent 2 nights and enjoyed our stay. Room was clean, nice, with a view of the river; owner and staff helpful.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

I was quite excited when I booked the room "La Rustique" at La Maison William Wakeham. The website looks great and we decided to treat ourselves by booking the best room at the auberge.
The room itself is spacious and beautiful. Everything was great at the beginning. However, we quickly noticed some small problems. The room was not very clean. And, the breakfast was not great either. However, we did not mind so much, especially being amazed by the room itself.
The next morning, I was about to change. All of a sudden, I saw someone passing by the front door. Then, I realized that the front door of the room is see through (don't ask me why!). The reason we never noticed this at the beginning was because the room is in a separate building and the receptionist told us that we have our own private corridor. As it turned out, the corridor is not private and anyone could pass by that corridor and look into the room!!!
I complained to the auberge the first morning and they promised to ensure that the corridor would remain private. The next morning, the same thing happened again when a stranger passed by the corridor!!!
The worst thing is that when I complained to the owner of the auberge, I did not get a feeling that he truly felt apologetic.
It is very unfortunate that I have to give such a low rating to this property. It has a lot of potential being really good. But, the service is just terrible.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Mannheim
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

We stayed at the Maison William Wakeham for one night in July. The historic house is charming, especially the dining room with wood panels. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We stayed in the room "La Romantique". The room was very nice, in line with the romantic theme, and had all amenities one would expect from a 3 star hotel. The bed was comfortable . The room, the bathroom, and the restaurant were clean and well kept. We ate at the restaurant and enjoyed the food, although we thought that it was a tad overpriced. Breakfast was good. One slight minor point was the live music concert in a nearby hotel or bar, which we could hear clearly. It did stop before midnight and we had nonetheless a good night's sleep. The hotel cannot change that, and it was Saturday night. If you are going to Gaspé or the nearby Parc Forillon, this is a good place to stop for the night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to La Maison William Wakeham? Share your experiences!