“Last week of a three month trip, and this is the only horrible/negative hotel experience!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel am Badersee

Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Port Townsend, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have been travelling abroad for almost three months...in Germany for 4 weeks, and this is our last week. We were supposed to stay at this hotel for one night. I booked the room months in advance. We were supposed to have a room described on their website as "The forest will not obstruct your breathtaking view as you look across the lowlands to the rocky peaks of the Bavarian Prealps..." However, after a rather unfriendly welcome from the girl at the front desk, we went up to our room to find a view of an ugly, dirty roof! When I went back down to the front desk to inquire about our "mountain view" she said too bad, the other rooms are filled. We were also informed that the restaurant, our other chance to enjoy the view, was not open. When I asked if it was always closed on Tuesdays (I didn't see anything on the website) she said, no that they just had a big group they wanted to accomodate and so we couldn't eat there. During the discussions, my husband told her he really needed to get on line to check something for work while we figured this out, and she was EXTREMELY rude and said 'only paying customers can use it and since it sounds like you will be checking out, you can't use it!' That was the final straw. We decided it wasn't worth it to stay in a place where they treated you so poorly, didn't bother to email and let you know you wouldn't be able to use their main restaurant (there is one on the lower level) and gave us the crummiest view possible, when we had reserved a view of the famous Alps they rest below...The manager of the hotel was in the lobby as we went to drop off the keys and leave, and when I mentioned the situation, and said that most of all we were leaving due to the extreme rudeness of the girl at the desk, he took her side and said it was 'probably just the language barrier'...well she knew English pretty darn well, and eyeball rolling translates into any language! Do yourself a favor, choose a different place to stay while in this area. There are plenty of gorgeous little hotels and guest houses with lovely views to choose from.
We spend about half the year traveling, and I think, therefore have learned the difference between good and bad customer service. For those who might think this is just a more direct/German way of dealing with the public, this is NOT the case. Everywhere else we've been has been a completely different story. In fact, we drove up to Munich last night since we decided against this hotel, and were greeted by the manager both at check in and today he asked how we liked the BMW Welt experience, and if there was anything we needed. WOW~ Totally different experience (we are at the Shereton Munchen Westpark btw).
Well, hope this helps someone make a better choice than we made. BTW~ the pictures on their website make it look WAY nicer than the rooms really are...well, at least the one we got. The only positive thing I can say is it was clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
hotelambadersee, Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear guests,

Thanks a lot for leaving a comment at tripadvisor although you didn't stay at this hotel. First I am sorry for any inconvenience which you have experienced at Grainau.

Due to the fact that you only have described a small part of the conversation with our reception staff and with myself let me please give a short statemente to enable other readers to take the right decision.

First the description of the view from the hotel rooms is absoluteley correct. From your room you would have had a view facing the mountain Kramerspitze with a height of nearly 2.000 meters. Also correct is, as you have mentioned, that especially from this room you see also a part of the hotel roof. As you have been told most friendly by my colleague we were not able to offer you another room due to a fully booked hotel. I am sorry for this circumstance.

Second my colleague at the reception was absolutely right not to give you an access to public Wifi, because due to data protection regulations, this is only available for hotel guests.

Again I am very sorry for this bad experience for you at Grainau. I really hope that you come back another year, this time as a guest in our hotel to give us the chance to change your opinion. You also can book your room directly at our homepage. There you also find an exact description of the three room categories.

Kind regards vom the Badersee
Alexander Riehn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Check out the photos I have posted! They say a lot about our stay here. Just beautiful, quiet and perfect place to gather your thoughts and enjoy a perfect view of the Zuspitze. A few things that bothered me a bit are as follows: I didn't enjoy the fact that the beds had no sheets to cover up with. Each bed had 1 comforter, no sheets, no other blankets. So in our case, we had to open the balcony door because we were sweating during the night. We also had 3 people staying in our room so I slept on the couch bed. The comforter did not fully cover me once I did get cold, with my feet exposed. The hotel should seriously consider placing some sheets and additional blankets on the beds. We would have slept a lot better each night if we were not waking up during the night sweating. Also, I used a VAT form for our stay here. For those who don't know what that is, military members are entitled to 19% tax free of purchases on the economy. Since I was told that I would be able to use this form during booking, I was under the impression that 19% would be used. So, for a 3 nights stay it would cost us approximately 500 euros, minus 19% tax, some where around 400 euros. However, upon checking out, over 403 euros of the total was only taxed at 7%, while 136 euros was taxed at 19%. This was not told to me on the phone during booking. We did eat dinner 1 night, and had 3 mineral waters in the room but other then this there was no other charges made by us. Our total ended up being 546,86 euros after the VAT form was used. So with all this being said, we did feel at the end of a rather pleasant stay, a bit used. To have over 75% of your bill only taxed at 7% while the other portion actually taxed at 19% did not seem right at all. Still bothered by this and if the room & view were not so good the rating for this place would probably drop a bit just because of this simple technicality. Also, the younger staff working breakfast and dinner did not seem to friendly. I guess that's why we have tripadvisor. Hoping for a better stay the next time around. I would still recommend this place because of the views and cleanliness.

Room Tip: If you are going to book a room with mountain view, do so with good weather in the forecast, or the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
hotelambadersee, Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear guests,

Thanks a lot for enjoying your stay at the beautiful Badersee. The panorama is really extraordinary.

Please accept my excuses for the circumstances in the night. Next time please give us a short call at the reception desk and we will supply you with some sheets. Also for guest who are a little bit taller we have some sheets and comforters on stock.

Please excuse the misinformation about the tax form. But that is, sorry to say that, up to the US government to provide the military staff with the right forms as well as the correct information. Since 2010 the German government charges lodging with 7% and 19% for all the rest.

Again thank you very much for staying with us. We will check back your critic with our service staff.

Have a good time and hope to see you again at the beautiful Badersee.

Heidelberg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

When we arrived in the hotel after four hour driving in the snowy day, the hotel was very busy with business guests at the lobby. Unlucky, we were punished by an unfriendly lady staff who seem to be really really tired and angry as there were so many quests standing around her. We were told that we booked room via internet wrongly so it was not possible to have additional bed for my little boy or even upgrade to another room with my own additional cost. After checking in, we spent time for searching the direction to get into the room , one of staff who kind enough came to us to point out where we should go. It was fun for my son to find miracle directions but it was not so fun for me to carry heavy luggages up to an elevated floor and have to walk pass through the hotel restaurant (such poorly design) . The room was modern at 19 century. No refrigerator. No water. No telephone book etc. However, it was fun to imagine what I would see something in the lake where surrounded by the forest of the Lord of the Ring atmosphere after getting dark.. During the night, three of us have to sleep terribly in a same bed with crossing direction in a cold temperature as we need to keep windows its open to ventilate bad toilet and carpet smell. We suppose to stay for three night but luckily we could check out in the following day and moved to Seefeld in stead. Anyway, it was a good experience to learn what could go wrong to believe high voting scores with nice marketing hotel photos of this four star hotel. Or it may we were in the bad day, it part of traveling life. Good luck for travellers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
hotelambadersee, Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Mr. C.,

Thank you for your feedback at tripadvisor concerning your stay at our hotel.

First we apologize for any inconvenience which you and your family have experienced. Usually it doesn't belong to our house style that we treat our guests unfriendly by arriving at our hotel. We have checked the circumstances with our staff and claryfied the subject.

When I subtract the entitled factor of frustration in your judgement after a long trip I can isolate the following facts:

The welcome in our hotel wasn't as it should have been and I again apologize for that.

A crowded lobby sometimes happens in a well frequented hotel. In this case you have arrived together with a big conference party.

Your reservation via booking.com indeed indicates a failure. But that has not been your mistake. We had a reservation for two people in a double room. Your additional requested extra bed is definetely not mentioned on your reservation. We will check that back with booking.com. due to the fact that this is not the first time, that an additional request doesn't arrive with the e-mail. So we have been absolutely fully booked at this time we were not able to offer you one of our rooms with extra bed. I am very sorry for that circumstance.

Again I apologize for your negative experience. I can ensure you that such circumstances don't belong to our usual policy.

I hope to see you again in our Hotel at the beautiful Badersee.

Management
Deva, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

There are not many words to discribe this hotel's location and services, I think at only one -EXCELLENT;it is the one and only word to describe it. I would go back there in a blink of an eye. It worths every penny!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelambadersee, Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate that you have felt quit comfortable with us. That is our most successful motivation for our work.

We hope to see you again at the beautiful Badersee

Regional Manager
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I (both seasoned travelers) visited this hotel for 3 days during our holiday. The hotel can easily live up to its 4-star status. The rooms are`beautiful, modern, well-equipped, quiet, and large. We had a splendid view over the (private) lake Badersee from our balcony. Personnel was very professional. Kitchen was excellent. I would recommend this hotel without any reservation whatsoever.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelambadersee, General Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear guests,
We are very happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks a lot for your wonderful judgement. For us it is the best way of motivation.

Enjoy your stay in Bavaria and hope to see you again at the Badersee when also the rest of our hotel has finished renovation.

Managing Director
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

This hotel is located in Grainau - a convenient few km away from the relative hustle and bustle of Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The setting is absolutely stunning with jagged Bavarian Alps peaks rising literally behind the hotel. A crystal-clear lake, tree-lined lake also welcomes you each day right behind the hotel. Truly amazing.

The hotel room was comfortable, large and well-appointed. The front desk staff was very helpful with this non-German speaker, and I had no issues communicating with the staff. The food was very good in a buffet style with plenty of creative options. If the weather permits, the deck overlooking the lake is *the* place to eat and enjoy the surroundings.

There are local food options within walking distance of the hotel, and Garmisch is very close by. Hiking trails abound, so you can definitely get your exercise. After coming off Zugspitze on the cable car are nearby Eibsee, we had a pleasant hike back to the hotel along the wooded trails.

Zugspitze is conveniently located and provides breathtaking photo ops of Bavarian valleys. I'm not a downhill skier, but this hotel would obviously serve as a nice option for winter ski accommodations. The Zugspitze rail stop is a short hike through the woods away (sensing a theme here?)...not sure how convenient this would be in the heart of winter, though!

Travel to this hotel was relatively painless from Munich's airport. I bought a rail ticket right at the transportation info office at the airport (the desk attendant was so helpful...ask plenty of questions and you will get informative answers). I took the subway/metro (U-bahn) from the airport to Munich central rail station and seamlessly transferred to the regional rail to Garmisch all on one ticket. So easy and unlike travel in America. I then took a bus from Garmisch that dropped me off at the Hotel am Badersee's driveway. Cheap and convenient, although exact change is required on the bus (I'm sure you could pay more and you would still be OK, though!). For a jet-lagged traveler, I have to say I was amazed by how easy it was to get around without a rental car.

I had a very pleasant stay at Hotel am Badersee and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel am Badersee? Share your experiences!