“Nice hotel considering what else is around and awesome pool” 4 of 5 stars

No.160 Beijing Middle Road, Jinfeng District, Yinchuan 750002, China   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 362 Hotels in Yinchuan
Toronto
“Nice hotel considering what else is around and awesome pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I would give 3.5 stars but since that's not possible, I just rounded it up to 4. I stayed here in July 2011 (I chose 2012 because it wont let me chose 2011 any more).

My father lived in Yinchuan for 7 years, while the rest of the family was located in Beijing (due to a German and couple of international schools being located in Beijing). At the end of our stay in China the whole family travelled to Yinchuan to bid our goodbyes to my father's co-workers. Since the Kempinski had been built, my father stopped by it several times a week in order to go for swims in the pool and we wanted to treat ourselves to something nice, so we decided to stay at the Kempinski.

Considering the other chinese Hotels in the area, it is definitely nice, European standard. However right upon arrival it turns out that there was some sort of mixup... Either there is no room for 3 people (I have 2 sisters), or it was booked for someone else and the room we had, they could not fit an extra bed in. After a long discussion between my father and the manager (both fluent german speakers) about what could be done, they upgraded us to the room that has a couch and one of my sisters slept on that one. The bathroom was quite nice, I loved the bathtub and shower, and I went for a swim in the amazing pool nearly every day, it is so gorgeous !!

The breakfast was nice, I am used to chinese breakfast so I really enjoyed it. I know some people complain that there is no pork available, it didn't bother me though, they had turkey sausages and I believe that for the short stay of someone there, they don't need daily pork sausages anyways.

One thing I am glad about is that my father had his car as there is really not very much in the area. It's not too far away though either, so it's nothing I would complain about. We walked to a restaurant one night, it was warm and about a 20 minute walk, but a quite nice walk. Due to the fact that the Kempinski is a bit removed from this busy city, makes it a very quiet area to stay in, something I definitely enjoyed after living in Beijing where at nights there was always that background buzz of traffic.

Yinchuan itself is quite close, but I doubt anyone would want to walk there, it maybe a 15 minute car ride to the center. Yinchuan is very interesting as it is still a very chinese city without many foreigners (or at least when I was there last in 2011). People were staring at me because of my blonde hair, asking if they could touch it, if they could take pictures with me, and being very surprised when I responded in Chinese - definitely fun.

Back to the Kempinski, a definite plus is that the manager staff are mostly German-speakers and therefore have quite good English, better than the majority of the population of Yinchuan and there is German beer - always a plus.

If I were to go back, I would definitely stay here, I hope that the city grows in order to encompass the hotel more, so that you do not need a taxi in order to get somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Fort McMurray, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed at the Kempinski on a business trip to Yinchuan in Feb 2013. Great hotel, breakfast was excellent, room are spacious and has everything you need. Only drawback was the location. There isn't much to do around the hotel that is from a walking distance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I attended an investment forum in Yinchuan and we were hosted at the Kempinski hotel, a bran new establishment in the city of Yinchuan in the province of Ningxia in the north west of China. The hotel is superb with lovely rooms with modern furnishings and beautifil design. The spa was a dream featuring a large indoor swimming pool, sauna, steam ath, jaccizi and all the necessary ameties. The restaurant Berlin offers a lavish buffet breakfast with a great variety of different cooking both Euroean and Asian with fresh exotic fruits and all kinds of breads and vienoiseries . For lunch and dinner, the house was wide and varied including all kinds of meat, poultry and fish and see food. It was a real delight. The service was excellent and a German cook was delightful and so proud to show all the good cuisine the hotel can offer including some delicious pastry and ice-creams. I could not revisit the temptation o discover a new labour: the taro ice-cream with a lavender colour. It was a true delight. Would certainly love to come back to stay and discover this beautiful province, home to the famous yellow river and part ofthe ancient silk route where east and west meet in a successful and mst interesting mix of cultures and traditions. It was most enjoyable indeed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This is a very nice and modern hotel in Yinchuan. The location is great, so are the views. Definitely worth a stay. There are members of the staff who are Europeans and speak good English. The food is great at the Berlin Cafe downstairs. It is a mix of Chinese and western food. For us, the breakfast was not included and the buffet turned out quite expensive.

Room Tip: Choose the front facing rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Stayed here for a night whilst on Business in Yinchuan, the hotel is really very nice and I would have given it Excellent (compared to other hotels in the area) if the electrical outlets worked, if the Internet was not so poor, and if they served pork bacon and sausages at breakfast! I realise this is a mainly muslim area of China.. but we shouldn't enforce our religious beliefs and food choices on travellers, come on Kempinski, you can get pork in Muslim countries in the middle east!
The room was nice.. the bed very comfortable..

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Genf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I enjoyed a 7 day meeting at this hotel. Service, hotel and room were perfect. The only challenging bit is that staff speaks hardly English. However there is always a western person around to assist you and to translate. Local head of departments do speak English as well, but it takes always time to search for them. besides language barrier this is a true 5 star hotel in a fantastic location opposite the governmental building.

Room Tip: Book def rooms facing the governmental side.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Finding good western food is often a problem for me in China, but the Kempinski was up to satisfying even me. At breakfast (included in the tab) the chef cooked my eggs to order and got them right (over easy, sometimes difficult even in the States, where it's sometimes taken to mean uncooked on one side, incinerated on the other). They provided a wide choice of bread, rolls, and pastry as well as fruit and fruit juices, and real coffee. For lunch and dinner the choice was between buffet and a la carte; I found both excellent, and appreciated that staff often anticipated my needs. The room was well-designed, comfortable, and attractive. When we checked in the counter was mobbed. Waiting in the bar, I stood up and waved my arms and in an instant a young man named Benjamin was there, getting the keys for me and getting me and my luggage to our room. Benjamin, a recent hire, spoke fluent English. He was an English major in his home country, Mongolia. I have only high praise for the staff. Footnote: If you're not familiar with Yinchuan, make sure to get cabbed to Xiayu (Sand Lake). We were ferried to the Visitor Center/museum, rode camels to another dock, and a speedboat back to our cabbie. Also check out the petriglyphs, another side trip..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Kempinski Hotel Yinchuan? Share your experiences!