“Vast property with musky rooms and crammed area for breakfast” 2 of 5 stars

No.190 Wulin Avenue, Wulingyuan District, Zhangjiajie 427400, China   |
Ranked #68 of 365 Hotels in Zhangjiajie
3.0 of 5 stars 18 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
“Vast property with musky rooms and crammed area for breakfast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Exterior of this local hotel is deceiving. Rooms are dated and musky. If you are staying in one of the wings away from the lobby, it is a good 5 to 10 minutes walk with your bags along dingy corridors lined with stained carpets. We stayed there in winter and there was no heating system in these common areas so do put on your winter wear if you are going from one block to another.

The hotel seems to cater to tour groups but the breakfast area is too small to handle them. It was like a war zone each morning during our stay. And what service staff? Do not expect to be served your hot cup of coffee. It is more like a canteen where you are left to find your own seats and battle through the crowds to get to the good, if there is any left at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
zjjgb z, Manager at Guobin Hotel Zhangjiajie, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear guests,
Thanks for your staying and evaluation. We will seriously consider your opinion, and we are sorry for any inconvenience brought to you. Your opinion will make us work harder. We will do improve our facilities maintenance and arrange more training to upgrade our service quality. We are looking forward to your coming again, and you will see the growth of us. We will try our best to give you a satisfactory staying conditions. Thank you!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a particularly grim hotel. A very large property, it is quite a hike to the B or C buildings. This is the common government hotel that aggressively practices conservation; so rather than turn on the air conditioning for more than a few hours per day they suffer much moisture damage in the halls to mold. The rooms are clean; there is internet if you hunt for the outlet. Again, the air conditioning is periodic. The bathroom is fairly primitive. This is one of the few places where a king size bed is actually a king size bed. The hotel is an adequate place to rest but not much more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were booked into this hotel by the travel agency in Chengdu. It is known as the State Guest Hotel in English. On the outside it looked like a new and relatively modern hotel The staff were friendly enough but spoke no English Whenever we went to the front desk they phoned one of the tour guides in the hotel and gave us the phone to speak with her to enable translation.
The rooms were large with a great bathroom. However, the stains in the room looked as if a previous Chinese guest had ordered a banquet and proceeded to drip food all over the carpets and furniture. The bathroom had a good share of mould. The hotel provided free internet in the room.
The restaurant was only open at night to tour groups and would not serve independant travellers like my wife and I. The staff were having their evening meal in the other restaurant which was not open to the public. A Chinese man with a Chinese tour group from Canada saw our plight and translated for us and confirmed that the hotel would not serve us. We left the hotel and walked down the street to the Pullman Hotel which had an a la carte menu in their restaurant.
The plus of the hotel is that it is near the entrance of the National Park (about 20 minutes walk).
For such a large hotel, the breakfast is pathetic with very little to eat for the western taste. We had some fried eggs and biscuits. We had to ask for cutlery which took a while for them to find.
We would not stay here again, but stay at the Pullman Hotel down the road.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Not 5-star. Not by a long shot. I stayed in Wing C, a good stride away from the lobby. On the way to my room, I passed a couple of smoking rooms where men in tanks squatted and smoked while playing cards. Up a darkened stairway and then finally approached the room. It has those incredibly bright compact fluorescent lights, a couple of orange spotlights too. Very hard on the eyes, but unfortunately bright enough for me to clearly see stained wallpaper (mold? mildew seeping from the bathroom on the other side?) and spots on the carpet. The floor to ceiling balcony doors were already wide open to greet me and anyone else who may have wanted to enter from my balcony. The bathroom has probably the biggest shower stall I've ever seen... I think it used to be reserved for a bathtub and then they took out the tub when the hotel was renovated. Unfortunately, the bathroom smelled like a public washroom as soon I set foot in it! Yuck! This was the worst part. Some weird interconnected ventilation or something and I think all guests were sharing bathroom smells. Revolting. Rooms were clean, sort of. Clearly visible areas such as shelves were clean. Other less obvious surfaces such as ceiling vents and books were layered in dust or grimy. And then close to midnight, the strangest loudest buzzing sound happened outside my window. Lasted 5 minutes or so, hopping between my window and those of adjacent rooms. Sounded like some weird power tool, or crickets on steroids. Ask housekeeping to investigate, and they told me it was the air conditioners, that other guests had already complained, and that we will be able to get used to it and sleep after all.

Only reasons I would recommend someone stay here: other places in your budget are poorly located or full. The rooms are big, beds are clean, so it's not bad. Or, pay a little more and get something better.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from noisy A/Cs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Staying here as part of a tour package of Zhangjiajie. This hotel was arranged by our tour company. While the building looks impressive from the exterior (as most "5 star" Chinese hotels do), you'll find that it's far from being the same as a North American 5 star hotel.

Although this hotel is a little over a year or so old, it has it's fair share of problems. It appears there's a rampant mold problem here. It's evident that the bathrooms weren't built very well as it seems any walls adjoining bathrooms have mold on the walls. The hotel's solution to fix this is to slap on another sheet of wallpaper on top of the existing wallpaper. Unfortunately, the mold just starts working it's way through the next sheet of wallpaper. I saw this problem in 3 of the rooms that I looked at as well as the hallways of the building. Our bathroom also had a strong musty odor when we stayed here and we actually had to keep the bathroom door closed so that the smell didn't work it's way into the living area. There was also mold under the silicone sealant in the shower. I'm not sure why the severe mold problem but those allergic to mold may want to steer clear of this hotel.

Otherwise, the building looks fairly decent and the grounds very well maintained. The common areas were clean for the most part (except for the bathrooms in the public areas which could use some work but were miles ahead of public washrooms elsewhere in China). Wireless internet is free, albiet a bit slow. Not a big deal since we spent most of the day out seeing the sights and really only used it for e-mail and some light browsing. I didn't have the opportunity to use the gym (although it looked pretty sparse with only basic equipment) or the pool (which was drained when I was there) so I can't comment on those facilities.

Food was average - I had breakfast here - nothing really special - especially if you've been to other hotels in the province. It's your typical Chinese spread (bok choy, daikon, congee, noodles, fried rice) although they had a bit more variety than some of the other places I went to. The dining area was clean. We also had dinner one evening in the hotel restaurant and the food was actually fairly decent. I'm not sure what pricing was like as it was included with our tour.

One word of warning (and this would apply to ANY hotel in China) - inspect everything when you get in your room - the hotel accused us of getting dye on one of their towels. Since none of us dye our hair I'm not even sure how this is possible. Hotels have a tendency on blaming you and having you pay for stuff like this. If you see any toothbrushes, combs, shaving kits, etc, don't take them with you unless you know for sure that there is no charge - otherwise you'll be in for some sticker shock!

With the huge selection of hotels in the area, I'd probably suggest checking out some of the other higher rated hotels.

Room Tip: Try to find something in the A or B sections. C is quite far from the main lobby (about 3-4 minutes...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Caloocan City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

For our trip to Zhangjiajie, we were booked in this hotel, known in English as the State Guest Hotel. The hotel lobby is brightly lit, quite spacious and modern. There was a well-stocked convenience store near the lobby.

We arrived at night so I was able to observe that the corridors going to our room in Wing B were at first dark, but the lights turned on automatically as we walked by, which impressed me. The staff was friendly but it would take a good amount of body language to get through to them since they hardly know any English. The room is very modern and comfortable. The bathtub is made of wood, which was very unusual.

The breakfast buffet was not too good. Or maybe the style of cooking did not really appeal to me. The Chinese tourists there seemed to be enjoying their breakfasts though. However, I have to say that our lunch and dinner also at the hotel were excellent in flavor! It had a homemade quality that was simple yet delicious.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Guobin Hotel Zhangjiajie? Share your experiences!