“Very very bad four-star in Changsha near the Cancel Hospital” 1 of 5 stars
Review of New Empire Hotel Changsha

You added New Empire Hotel Changsha to your Saves list
New Empire Hotel Changsha
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.399 Tongzipo Road, Yuelu District, Changsha 410013, China (Hexi College Zone)   |
Ranked #114 of 1,289 Hotels in Changsha
Guangzhou, China
“Very very bad four-star in Changsha near the Cancel Hospital”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

I booked two Double-bed rooms and would like to change one to twin room but the answer was twin rooms were fully booked and female lady sitting at the reception was very cold face. I was not willing to argue with her and changed to another male receptionist. And I said to him I booked two double-bed room and was told bouble-bed rooms were fully occupied and have to change to twin rooms. I was quite confused and the attitude was very bad. I was requeted to pay 1000 per room for deposit and i asked why so much amount. The answer was really astonished me that this is to prevent from damages (防止客人搞破坏)just in front of me, it looks like I am going to damage the hotel then. When i entered the room and found carpet was dirty not vacuumed at all. Fridge was put on the floor, it this a four-star hotel? I requested non-smoking room and was told we can do some special treatment for you. When I was in room, the room attendant came and take away ashtry and cigarettes packs in the mini-bar, which is what so said special treatment, the towel was dark and not clean at all. In bathroom, the telephone on the wall not working, the scale not working at all. The bedsheet and duvet cover was broken and looks we are stay in a refugee shelter.
The breakfast was buffet and really funny. It's breakfast time, the music was rock music and disco and no any ambient for meal. One man was smoking by my side and I told hostess, the answer was the restaurant is allowed to smoke. I was really astonished. Food was really disgusting. The ceiling of the restaurant just like a place for refugee. I want to remind that the English and signages in the hotel is not adhere to national standard. English looks very funny and doesn't mean anything. The telephone instruction and in-room service directory and signages in the room and public area was really funny.
No any management or supervision in the hotel, ash buds in the reception area and elevators. The bell service counter has nobody there and seems a man sitting at the counter will look after the bell counter. It's really unbelievable that no bell service in a four-star hotel.
Overall it's four-star priced, three-star equipped and 2-star serviced and managed hotel.

Room Tip: Non-smoking rooms are not available in the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks whilst visiting our son. The room was spacious but the see through wardrobe and showerdid seem a bit strange.Only ate in the hotel once and we were given a table away from everyone and just by the kitchen door with our backs to the room. The shampoo and soap dispensers were fine, certainly no evil smelling gloop, that was reported previously and filled up regularly. Our main problem was no one really understood English, and apparently in China if you use laundry service or the restaurant you have to pay immediately, none of this being added to your bill and paying at the end. So we were made to feel a bit like criminals as we had 2 lots of laundry done and not payed even though it was only £10. Again unlike a previous comment we had no problem with them getting us taxis, they were more than willing to help. If my son stays in this area I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We arrived late and check in was very quick. Our twin room was a reasonable size and well maintained. Breakfast was good with a great range of food to choose from. The staff were friendly. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I suspect this hotel doesn't see many Westerners. It seems to be very oriented to the Chinese market. It was booked for us by a friend in China, at corporate rates, which were very competitive.

The rooms are good sized, clean and well maintained, as is the hotel overall.

In the room, nearly everything has a price tag on it. Shampoo, soap, toothbrushes, combs, spare slippers, etc. There are free shampoo and soap dispensers on the wall of the shower, dispensing an evil smelling gloop. When I first squeezed one of them, a brown plug of muck came out. I suspect they hadn't been used for a while. Needless to say, I left them alone.

The mini-bar is an eye-opener...four types of cigarettes, condoms, various jerkies and other interesting snacks and a range of other curiosities, again, all with price tags on them.

The buffet breakfast is ordinary, to say the least. Not recommended.

The service is reasonable, although when we departed we asked the concierge to hail a taxi for us. He told us they don't do that. He expected us to walk across to the main road with two large and numerous small bags, in 30 degree heat and wait for our own taxi.

Overall, the hotel is acceptable value for money, at discount rates. I would not plan a long stay there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

A friend who lives in Changsha (Chinese) booked this hotel for me and my wife at the last minute when our plans changed and we returned to Changsha unexpectedly. We had a room on the 14th floor which was the deluxe suites and it was very comfortable. The suite had two bathrooms, a living room, and seperate bedroom with a firm bed which wasn't as hard as some I've slept on in China. The suite was very clean and modern. The lobby was very large and spacious and check-in was easy as my wife is Chinese and this made things easier. They had a very nice check-in area where you could sit down and relax while checking in. We ate at the resturant in the morning for breakfast and the buffet selection was a little sparse. Not much in the way of western food but I managed to get my fill--they did have coffee. This was a very nice hotel and would not hesitate to stay there in the future. I have stayed at the Dalton before and it was a little bit better--especially the resturant which had a better selection of western food.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to New Empire Hotel Changsha? Share your experiences!