“Good level hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Changsha Hotel

You added Sheraton Changsha Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Changsha Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.478 Furong Middle Road, Section 1, Yunda International Plaza, Kaifu District, Changsha 410005, China   |
Ranked #3 of 1,288 Hotels in Changsha
Torino
“Good level hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

Similar to other Sheraton I visited. Clean everywhere, no doubt, the service is friendly and there's no big problems with English. The Italian restaurant "Bene" is good but main courses have small portion and are really expenses. The Chinese restaurant "Joy" is nice and charming, food is good at reasonable prices.
All in all a really good hotel considering central China standard.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Stayed here for one nite after a trip to Zhangjiajie . The primary reason was to catch the CRH train to Guangzhou. Taxis are reasonably priced and we had the address printed in Chinese. However at the bus station, we were harassed by a group of drivers who insisted they take the expressway(longer but faster route or so they claim) cos of traffic congestion . The trip cost us 50 rmb.

On arrival at the hotel, we were warmly greeted and our lluggage immediately taken care of. Check in staff was efficient and extremely friendly. They impressed us with their enthusiasm to speak English. The bellhop who overheard us asking about places of interest to visit in Changsha took much initiative to offer us the information we needed. When I requeated for a air purifier, he could not understand me but that does not deter him. He made me write it down in English and had it translated. using his mobile. I was so impressed by his effort. He then had the purifier sent to my room immediately.

The room we had was excellent in all aspects and we had no issues .

We would most definitely stay here again simply because the service was top notched.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Kunming, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

We stayed at the Sheraton Changsha because we had enough SPG points for 6 of our 7 nights.
Check-in was painless. The staff were well organized, no lineup, and spoken English was excellent. Because of our SPG membership (Gold) we were given an automatic upgrade to a deluxe room. The room itself was large and well equiped although we had to look for things like the kettle and hairdryer which were hidden away in drawers, but all was present. There was even an umbrella in the closet which turned out to be a good thing because of the amount of rain here in Changsha during the monsoon season. Free drinking water was provided in bottles although the excessively priced Evian is also available.

The only thing I could really find to complain about was the size of the bathtub which is separate from the shower. I had wanted to soak some aching back muscles in hot water, but the tub did not quite accomodate my shoulder width or my height. I'm not above average by North American standards! The shower is separate from the tub and I like not having to climb over a tub to take a shower.

Our 'free' nights on points did not include breakfast, although our paid night did. The breakfast was descent, but at more than 120 Yuan per person was a bit overpriced by Chinese standards.

High-speed internet in the room is available but not free. You get a choice of 10 Yuan per hour or 50 Yuan for 24 hours. The 24 hour rate is till cheaper than I've paid in many American and Asian hotels.

I've read previous reviews of this hotel that complained about street noise because of single glazed windows. After the first night when I heard no noise I checked the windows and found them to be double glazed. This may be because the hotel has done upgrades or because we were on a higher floor, but that's just a guess.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Same a slast year, what a Sheraton! Perfect English speaking staff, perfect service, great food. Other than the "stern-face" waitresses during breakfastbut, everyone is so friendly. Absolutely no complain.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

I don’t expect Changsha will attract many tourists but if you do happen to go then the Sheraton is a very comfortable international-class hotel. A taxi from the airport costs about 85rmb, including the road toll, and takes about half an hour. It was a quick visit and I only took breakfast there, though I did notice that room service charges were a little higher than some other 5-star hotels I’ve stayed in recently in China. The breakfast buffet had a very good selection of both eastern and western fayre, service was good and the atmosphere quite pleasant. Check-in was relatively painless. The rooms are clean, spacious and well-fitted out, and can easily accommodate an extra bed, and the bathrooms are large enough to house a separate tub and shower enclosure. However, I found the full-width/height windows to be inadequately insulated in terms of both heat and external noise. It was quite easy to hear the traffic even 20 floors up. It was also easy to hear people coming and going in the corridor, and I’m just glad I didn’t have any ‘noisy neighbours’ as sound seems to bleed through the walls quite easily. An iron and ironing board were provided as well as all the usual amenities. A good selection of tea and coffee was available and included a couple of servings of real ground coffee with a cafetiere, but finding the kettle in the disguised deep-drawer was a rather involved process of elimination.

One very confusing issue concerning the amenities, though, is the notice in the bathroom saying that they all have to be paid for separately! Sounds incredible, and when a colleague of mine brought it to my attention I naturally assumed she was mistaken. After all, what self-respecting 5-star hotel could possibly adopt this kind of ‘no-frills’ budget approach? Nevertheless, there it was – in all its minute small-print on a less-than-postcard-sized note – replete with price list on the reverse! The reason stated for the charges were explained as a local government initiative to reduce waste and pollution with which all hotels in Changsha must comply. Certainly a laudable cause, though perhaps somewhat piecemeal in the wider scheme of hotel operations (what with all the laundering and individual-portion catering packaging etc.), but very unclearly and inadequately marked for the attention of guests. So I was fully expecting check-out to be a laboured process as the maid would be called to confirm whether or not I’d used both the shampoo and conditioner or just the bath gel, and if any cotton buds had been surreptitiously removed etc. In the event, though, check-out was a breeze. I was asked if I’d had anything from the mini-bar – ‘no’ – then ‘thanks and goodbye’, nothing to sign, no mention of these extra piddling charges for soap and slippers, and I was on my way in a matter of seconds – probably the fastest check-out I’ve ever experienced. It seems, therefore, that all this amenity-charging hyperbole is to satisfy the requirements of some by-law but in practice is not executed by the hotel. I have mixed feelings about this simply because I expect all hotel charges and service inclusions to be transparent, especially in a hotel of this class, and if they are not then I’d be naturally very wary of accepting what I might ordinarily assume to be part and parcel of my booking in case I later found out that I actually had to pay for it.

All things considered, I feel it should merit five stars but these issues with insulation and the room amenities are sufficient to make me hold back to four stars. If I were the manager I would be concerned to inform guests about the true nature of any room ‘surcharges’ and also revise some of the out-of-date or inaccurate information in the room directory.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

Spent a few days at the Sheraton Changsha earlier this month. Comfortable rooms, enough English spoken for foreigners. Yes it is a bit hot in the hotel....but that is the case all over China, not just this hotel. The italian restaurant was much better than I expected, but I would eat outside of the hotel if you want to try the local cuisine. The breakfast buffet was also good...with solid local and western options. The only thing that i really didnt like was the pollution...you could see smog in the hallways at times. And service in the restaurants is a bit rushed (I was asked if i knew what i wanted to eat about 35 seconds after the menu was given to me). But all in all a pleasant enough place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

My first trip to Changsha and I must have caught "no aircon" day! During June, on a 23-25C day outside, the heat was on inside the airport and it was about 29C inside... was looking forward to a nice hotel only to find... limited or no aircon in the hotel, either.

Check in was slow, but not too slow.

Room was nice size, good desk, free internet on club level. Large enough bathroom with separate shower, comfortable bed, clean and new. After setting aircon on lowest setting (16C) for about 6 hours, the room finally cooled to about 24C, but still too hot for my tastes. None of the public areas were air conditioned, so one would break a sweat just getting to the lobby.

Room service lunch was very slow, but food was OK.

Breakfast in the club lounge was limited, but good enough.

Gym has the ergonomically incorrect and cheap "Technogym" equipment. All of which was new, and 3 of the 12 or so machines were already broken. Air con in the gym was sparse, and staff seem to turn it off every chance they get. There were 2 ellpticals, 3 or 4 bikes, one stairclimber, and 4 treadmills.

Dinner in the Chinese restaurant "Joy" was quick, but the food was bland and monotonous. They did, however, use no MSG as that was requested due to allergy. Perhaps that's why the food was bland... they're so used to cooking with MSG that they don't know how to cook without it?

Check out was fast, and the young lady at reception who checked me out spoke excellent English - one of the few hotel staff that did.

I guess I'd go back as there probably aren't many other choices in Changsha - certainly none that we saw - that would be as good as the Sheraton, but there is certainly room for improvement. I will avoid it during the hottest parts of summer as the inadequate A/C will be a huge issue then.

• Liked — Nice room
  • Disliked — No Aircon
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sheraton Changsha Hotel? Share your experiences!