“very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 1,289 Hotels in Changsha
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here for 8 days in March and would highly recommend. Nice, clean rooms. Modern facilities and cable, ethenet in rooms. Wifi in lobby was spotty. Great location and the food in the upstairs restaurant was outstanding. I very much enjoyed this hotel. They do not take AMEX travellers checks, however. Bank of China is right next door and was able to use my debit card easily.

Room Tip: higher floors better... load traffic on lower floors
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed in the hotel recently (July 2012) and was very impressed with the level of service shown by the staff. They were very helpful and very courteous throughout. The room was spacious and well kept (tip: ask for the room in the recently renovated tower). Most of the amenities in the bathroom as well as coffee/chinese tea/drinking water were provided for free. The only exception are the slippers whereby the hotel charges a small fee. Restaurants and convenience stores are easily found within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Suzhou, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We had a spacious room on the 11th floor, which apparently was a non-smoking floor in this hotel-a huge bonus for someone who finds the smell of cigarettes to be completely appalling. Service was great, although the concierge was not always present. We had to wait for about 10 minutes to store our luggage, but the gentleman was apologetic. No real harm there.

We were surprised to learn that the slippers and other items in the room were not complimentary; check the list in the bathroom before opening anything!

We ended up doing laundry ourselves in the sink because the laundry service prices were exorbitant! But other than these minor complaints, our stay was quite comfortable, and the surrounding area had everything that the hotel lacked (or charged too much for!)

Room Tip: You might do well to request a soft mattress if that's what you're accustomed to!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Booked hotel for 3-night stay thru Trip Advisor/HRS website. When I arrived at hotel, hotel refused to honor reservation confirmation price and instead insisted on charging $20 more per night. Hotel also charged $136 per person for breakfast instead of $50 price listed on reservation confirmation. Despite these ripoffs, hotel was fairly elegant and Chinese food and breakfast were excellent, especially local Hunan cuisine and noodles. Room was comfortable and quiet but carpet was dirty. Hotell service was excellent.

Room Tip: If you book thru HRS website, don't count on reservation price being honored.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I am one of HuaTian's most loyal guests, having stayed in HuaTian many times.

My first stay in HuaTian was December 2007/January 2008. I was back at HuaTian May 2008 and again in December 2008/January 2009. I was at HuaTian December 2009/January 2010 and December 2010/January 2011.

I returned in October 2011 and I've been staying in HuaTian Tower B every weekend in November 2011.

I've been in HuaTian's best and worst rooms, in Tower A and Tower B. In October 2011 I stayed 4 days in one of the best. I travel China a lot and often stay in good hotels, for instance, the Sheraton in Shenzhen, Guangzhou or Tianjin, the Westin or Kempinski in Beijing or Shenyang. And I’ve stayed in a half-dozen Changsha hotels.

Why do I keep coming back to HuaTian?
Most of my other hotels are Western style, and I like that HuaTian still has Hunan charm. I feel comfortable here. HuaTian is my home in Hunan, and maybe even for all of China! I recently became a HuaTian Gold VIP member. And December 2008 I met of my very best friends in China, when she was manager of my Tower A floor; I visit her in Shenzhen every year and I will attend her wedding this year! So I have good memories of my stays in HuaTian.

Hautian staff are wonderful. In all these years, I have never met any of staff with a sour disposition or who did not do their very best to please me! I cannot remember all the great Assistant Managers over the years who have solved my little problems.
I was a visiting professor at Hunan Nong Ye Da Xue (Hunan Agricultural University) and I had an apartment on campus. But I came to HuaTian every weekend to visit the City and shop. So, I want HuaTian to be my best possible home.

In the Coffee Bar, I became acquainted with most of the staff: Yu Min has such a positive attitude and a beautiful smile, and Nie Dan does her best to correct wo de putonghua. These two should get a big increase in pay for putting up with me! Bell boys have done a great job; especially Wang Sheng Yu for all the help with finding things I need, getting directions to the shops and bus stops and such an enthusiasm for helping.

My complaints:

1) Carpet in some rooms are filthy. It should be replaced before those rooms are rented again!
2) Why do clerks at desk and concierge station allow people to cut into queues? This is very annoying to your western guests who are used to respecting that whoever is being helped is THE most important person at the time: just get in line and wait your turn. I wait in line and eventually I'm being helped, and almost always, someone will just interrupt the clerk with a request to renew their room card or something like that. IF... that person has a medical emergency: they, or their mother, is choking to death right there in the lobby, I understand. But I was interrupted several times Saturday--one time by a HuaTian Assistant Manager who told me she was just delivering a document to the clerk!!! Saturday, those interruptions destroyed the focus of the desk clerk on my transaction, which was simply to extend my checkout time by a couple hours. This task takes 2 minutes. However, the result was that a 2-minute task cost me, and HuaTian, about 30 minutes to accomplish. That same clerk could have helped me and ten others in that same time if she had been free of all the interruptions. This is very inefficient use of valuable HuaTian employee time, and is disrespectful of guests who wait in line for service. Your clerks encourage such rude and inefficient behavior by allowing it. The solution is simple and polite. The clerk says to the intruder: "I am helping him. You are next," and returns to her task.

Overall, I LOVE Huatian and will most definitely stay there when I return to Changsha. It is not perfect, but who wants a sterile Westernized hotel when visiting China.

Room Tip: Become a Gold Card member for substantial discounts and perks. Get to know the bellboys, assistant m...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Deserving of 5 star and level-pegging with Crown Plaza. I was a solo traveller and stayed in a Superior Queen room on the 13th floor in Tower B for 3 nights. Spacious room and bathroom is well equipped. Restaurant on level 2 has wide selection of western and asian dishes, looked after very well by Sara the manager. Nice bar area overlooking the foyer but tended to get a bit noisy at times. Seemed to be a convention going on every day, obviously popular among the business crowd. There is also a nice coffee shop area downstairs with big comfy lounges where you can order alcohol and snacks as well, and a wonderful massage centre in the hotel. Overall staff were very pleasant and obliging with many speaking enough English to understand.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. Tower A rooms arte much nicer than Tower B rooms. Upper floor rooms in Tower A are frshly renovated and they are really 5 start standard, but they are almost double the price (around 100$/night). The room price is very, very reasonable. The bathroom is kind of small though. Restaurants and bars are nice. Western restaurant has a nice selection of both chinese and western food. We had our wedding celebration party there in one of the restaurant salons there and I was very nicely impressed with the service and price. Overall the hotel is like a 4 star rating. I would definetly go back to this hotel and recomend it for budget conscious people. Staff is very friendly and they try to accomodate every request. More English speaking staff would not hurt though. Location is very good as well.

Room Tip: Best room s are in the Tower A, freshly renovate, upper floors, I thing above 17th floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Huatian Hotel? Share your experiences!