“Great place...but I hope they can improve...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Hatteras KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rodanthe
Cape Hatteras KOA
You added Cape Hatteras KOA to your Saves list
Route 12, Rodanthe, NC 27968   |
Apex, North Carolina, United States
“Great place...but I hope they can improve...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This KOA is a real gem, but lacks the attention to detail in its day to day operation. On the positive side, the owners have great vision in building fantastic facilities such as the awesome pool, bouncy pillow, modern baths, and main building. The ocean access is excellent and the sound is right there as well. OBX is a world class destination and this KOA has the potential to match that. Everyone on staff was polite and helpfull. Kids and family all had a great time.

The negative issues. 1) We arrived on Saturday July 13th and most of the sites had grass (really what was high were the weeds as the summer grass only grows low to ground) that was a foot high; this despite about 1/4 of the sites being empty and maybe 1/5 of the sites changing over each day. Three days later a worker finally came around with a ride on mower. I waived him over and he did his best to cut around my site. 2). Despite very nice and relatively new baths, the floors were always filthy. This is partly a design flaw in that the floors never really dry, but also that the baths need more attention. It would take all of five minutes to dry mop a bath and they would look great.

Not so much negatives, but a few recommendations in case management is reading this. Hire more staff for your peak season. Don't make excuses that you can't, you can. Bring in teans for summer if you need to. Put in 2 more foot showers at each beach entrance as that is what everyone is waiting for and there is only one. Put up a sign that fireworks are illegal according to county or nps or whomever. And yes, thank you to the idiot who launched very loud fireworks right over camp at 11 pm. Have workers walk camp every day, sweep stones off pavement and pick up trash...i picked up enough trash that i should have been on the payroll. Again, a few more staff and attention and this place has the potential to be as nice a campground as you will find. btw... the wireless worked very poorly, but who cares, I should be surfing the waves, not the web.

And yes, we will come back...

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Glasgow, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Campground
I camped in a bare-bones tent site for three nights over the Fourth of July with my two teenage brothers, my fiance, and my two dogs. Our site was 633, which was the first row of tents behind the deluxe cabins. We were able to put two 4-person tents on our site with a little room to spare. Our site was clean and level. We had a picnic table and a fire ring, and parked our car on the site as well. There weren't any lines to divide the campsites, so we had to just assume we weren't taking up other people's space. We arrived late, and our name was missing from the late-arrivals list, but our welcome packet was in the mailbox. We found our site easily, and although the info packet said we needed to register in the main building before 10AM the next morning, we didn't register until about 1 PM, and they didn't have a problem. The campground was completely booked for the weekend, but there were a few empty spots around our tent the whole time we were there. We were lucky to get good neighbors who adhered to the quiet hours, which are 10 PM - 8 AM. There were some louder, partying people in the RV areas closer to the beach. We were really close to the main house bathrooms, and bathrooms/showers in the center. The bathrooms in the main house were wonderful. I was worried the seats would be wet because it was close to the pool, but they were always dry and it was very clean. The bathrooms in the center were not so nice, however. They weren't horrible, but they were kind of dirty/sandy and wet. The "hallway of showers," as we referred to it, was VERY NICE to have, though never very clean. We dealt with that easily, though, because we were just so happy to have showers with warm water. The camp store didn't have hot dog/marshmallow rods, or aluminum foil, but did have some $5 Pam cooking spray. The Liberty gas station down the road had everything you would ever need, though, so we were set.

Dogs
This was our first time staying at a KOA, and we were sold once we realized there was a Kamp K-9 dog park. We took our dogs there several times, but there were never any dogs there. It was very small and pretty full of other dogs. There was a nice, open area past our row of tents where we walked the dogs a lot. And across the road, at the sound, there's a big, open, empty spot with a new pier that's amazing, where we had breakfast on the second morning. Though we weren't supposed to, we let the dogs off-leash to run around in the sound. Another dog came over to join them, and they had a great time. Everyone at the KOA kept their pets on the leash the whole time, and all the dogs seemed really nice and happy and well taken care of.

Beaches
The beach was nice. It was kind of shelly. We went up to Kitty Hawk on the first full day we were there. The beach was dirty and FILLED with people. We went to Avon the next day, where people could drive on the beach. The sand was as hot as I've ever felt it, but the beach was amazing and the water was crystal clear blue for at least two hundred feet out. Out of those three beaches, I'd rate them Kitty Hawk - 4, Rodanthe - 6, Avon - 9 (one point off for hot, hot sand).

All-in-all, we had a nice experience. I think we'd go back during an off-season, but never mid-summer. It was just WAY too hot for us to be comfortable there at this time of year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Randleman, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed with 2 children and my wife and I and rented a deluxe cabin/lodge. It is my opinion that for the $200 per night we payed that the campground staff would come around and change out towels and washcloths everyday for you as well as take out the trash. We were given an office size trash can to last a family of 4 for 1 week and when I asked about them removing the trash I was asked to carry it to the nearest dumpster, which I did not see one in sight. There was one night we had to reuse dirty towels and washcloths because we got back after the store closed for the night at 9pm. I also advised the staff that our gas grill was leaking from the regulator to which they didn't seem too concerned (2 days passed with no remedy to it). I left it unhooked from the tank so hopefully the next couple or family doesn't explode the grill before it is repaired!! The staff was friendly during encounters but nothing over the top on customer service so I believe from now on I will take my $200 per day and go to a different place in the Outer Banks! OH and the last day it rained and our cabin became soaked with water on the interior floor, at least we were leaving I guess........

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sea Oat cabin #1641
Poquoson, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed in the one room cabin for 3 nights over 4th of July break. Campground appeared to be filled to capacity, but the campground and namely the facilities never felt overwhelmed. Never a wait to use the bath house, pool never felt over crowded, and office staff was able to get people in and out.

Pros: Location, newness of facilities, activities for the kids/parents, very quiet at night (I think). Always plenty of ice when we needed it. Staff was friendly.

Cons: Bath houses probably could have used a few more cleanings throughout the day with so many people there. A/C in the cabin was EXTREMELY loud. To the point I had to cut it off for a little while just so the kids could fall asleep. I had the ONLY light in the cabin go out, put in a request to have it changed and it never happened. A friend in another cabin had to take a light they had and climb the bunkbed and change it for me. And the futon mattresses were VERY hard and uncomfortable. I would probably bring a mattress topper of some kind next time.

Overall, we had a great experience. The campground was clean (with the exception of the bathhouse), friendly, and well located.

Room Tip: Make sure you wear flip flops in the showers. Maybe earplugs if you are staying in one of the one ro...
Grayson, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed in a deluxe cabin for 4 days and were very pleased with our time there. Since we went in early June all of the activities they offer were not in full swing, but that didn't damper our good time. This was our first time at a KOA so we weren't sure what to really expect but had such a good time we will stay at a KOA again.

What we really liked was the location the campground is located between the sound and the ocean, the HUGE pool, and the wrap around deck on our cabin. One of the things I wish I had known before hand was the price of some of the activities so I will provide them here. It is $10 to tye dye (but we missed it). We were quoted $35 an hour for a kayak rental. It was too much for us and the sound waves were a little too choppy anyways. The internet (as reported by others) is almost none existent (and so was our cell phone service), but they have two computers in the main building for guests to use if you really need to get online. Also we found that the nearer we were to the main building the better our phone service was also.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hampton Roads
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We’ve been coming to the Hatteras KOA a couple times a year since 2007. The main reason we are KOA members. We're very disappointed in our last trip on Memorial Day weekend. We had site 205 and the occupant next to us in site 204 did not center his trailer over the parking pad. He was off about two feet on my side, trailer wheels on the grass with a large slide that stuck further into our site. I informed the front office and clearly stated it was just for the record and that I wasn’t requesting my neighbor to move and were accepting the tight quarters. Next thing we know is a KOA attendant came out looked at our sites and said he was ok and that I had more room to move over into site 206. I have a 34 ft trailer with two slides with the wheels already on the edge of the parking pad and the power panel was already sitting between my slides. I argued my position and the attendant kept to his that included a comment that he use to work at another KOA that was so tight between sites you couldn’t open your canopy. Obviously, this does not justify the current situation. We are extremely disappointed how KOA handled this. In the past, the attendants have always guided campers to their site with help parking, but not on Friday night when we arrived. I presume this is the root of the problem. Guiding campers ensures people park their RVs within their site boundaries. The KOA sent us an email to rate our stay. I replied with the review you just read hoping they would send a followup response since we were repeat customers, but nothing. We will not be staying here again nor will it be recommend. I’m dropping my KOA membership and going to Good Sams. Signed Unhappy Campers

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This was, by far, the nicest campground I've ever been to. We had a tent site right across from the bathhouse. I really liked the family shower/restroom as it made showering with a toddler much easier. The walk-in pool is wonderful since small children can sit in the shallow end and play in the water. We had one breakfast at the cafe, and it was a good value and so convenient. The laundry facilities are nice and only cost $1.75/load. The location was perfect for us as we ventured north to Corolla one day and south to Ocracoke another day. The sites are a quick walk to the beach. We went out at dark one night to chase the ghost crabs in the sand. We had a blast and can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Cape Hatteras KOA? Share your experiences!