“Good Chinese Food..........Go on a busy night for good food turnaround” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hing TA Restaurant

Hing TA Restaurant
1276 N Wesleyan Blvd, Rocky Mount, NC 27804-1815
252-985-1828
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 111 restaurants in Rocky Mount
Cuisines: Chinese
Kitty Hawk, NC
“Good Chinese Food..........Go on a busy night for good food turnaround”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Wife and I love Chinese food and have been to many restaurants and buffets. The food at Hing Ta is good but not great which in our case was probably due to going there on a slow Wednesday evening while we stayed one night in town. If you got the fresh food coming out from the kitchen the flavor and preparation was 5 stars..........but many dishes rated only a 2-3 stars and again this is likely due to sitting out for a long time on the hot table.
I suggest that if you go there on a slow evening...........order off the menu. The fresh food had excellent flavor and different dishes had enough complexity to make me give an overall 4 stars even with the uneveness in the choices. The salmon was particularly suprising since I can say I have very very seldom had good salmon on ANY buffet.........but this fish was really well prepared and seasoned. 5 Stars on that one,
Deserts were particularly disappointing but the soft serve doctored up with walnuts, pecan chips and a few other things was nicely satisfying.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Rocky Mount, NC
“Classic Chinese buffet - Quality service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

The food here is top notch and all the wait staff are observant and quick. The atmosphere is nice and they have a cool aquarium. Private dinning area for parties. $20 for two lunch buffets is too pricy in my opinion.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great Chinese buffet in Rocky mount”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

I searched for a good restaurant in Rocky Mount while traveling from Florida to Vermont, and found this Chinese buffet. All the reviews said it was excellent, and for its location well away from I95 I can vouch for its quality. The salmon was tasty but a bit overdone. The mei fun noodles were some of the best. The beef was a bit greasy. But overall, for travel food it was great.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Quality & Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stopped here for the lunch buffet, less than $10, and could not be happier! Food was excellent - taste, variety, prep and presentation! Service was suburb and I will stop there any time I'm in the area for what is now my favorite Chineese restaurant. There is another just down the street - but it would hard to pass this place up when I know how good it is!

Highly recommend!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne, FL, USA
“Funny story, good restaurant...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

OK, we were using our nav. and phones to find a place to eat while driving from FL to NYC. We found a chinese restaurant with RAVE reviews. A little too good to be true, so we just had to try it. One review said it was the best chinese restaurant he's ever eaten in and he'd been all over the world. Well... I've travelled internationally so hey... give it a try.
What a riot. It's a nice restaurant with a side for the buffet and a side for eating from the menu. Handbags and earrings hang just inside the entrance if you're doing some shopping, not kidding here.
Anyway, we are not big fans of buffet dining, so we headed off the the menu side. Maybe 8 tables of varying sizes and as we ate, nearly all filled up.
The food, while NOT the best chinese food on planet earth actually turned out to be very, very good.
We tried a dish called Salt Shrimp Sezchuan, which we've never had. First, my husband had the hot and sour soup and I tried the wonton soup. Both were delicious and mine was unusual in that it had seafood and chicken in it along with wontons. Also it had what was either bok choy or some sort of cabbage, and it was really good but pretty filling.
The shrimp dish was delicious, but has no type of sauce. It wasn't as large as many chinese restaurant portions, so if you have a big appetite, order a second entree that's made with a sauce so you have a reason to eat some rice. Ours went to waste. Or, order fried rice. I imagine it's quite good.
I asked the waiter what brought him to Rocky Mt. to open a chinese restaurant and he told me he was managing and chinese restaurant in Wash. DC and got a call from a friend who needed his help at her place in Rocky Mt. He said that over time it's picked up a good following, which I believe based on how busy it was for this small NC town. The locals are warming to his classic chinese food.
So, what could have been a total disaster and sent us running to the nearest chain restaurant, big ugh, turned out to be a very good, enjoyable night's dinner. And, with tip, our meal cost $21. in total.
Enjoy!